DM-InnerCity

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Dang Angel, I've always loved your maps (No, I'm not puckering up, I'm serious) appearance wise, but sometimes in some maps the framerate can get a bit... sketchy on my system. What'd make this one worth my download would be if you could find a place for my signature - wouldn't be too hard to fit it in somewhere IMHO. If you ever need any textures, feel free to e-mail me at thrash_123_9@yahoo.com. I'm generally good at covering things that people can't get pictures of, as I always do mine from scratch.

Also, RealThing has issues with 2.86 (doors opening with collision system, I'd suggest adding triggers rather than bump movers), you releasing that to someone else to fix it or are you gonna do that yourself?

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
Would be nice to get it dead right in all departments but even commercial games with lots of highly paid people hardly ever achieve this. And in order to get a map running purrrfect, they always have to make sacrifices, and this is always in the looks department. But the idea for me has always been to try and show what the editor is capable of pushed to its good looking limits. Its always been terribly under used in the looks dept IMHO
However, The poly count is extremely good in most areas of this map because its all ally ways. Even the main streets have under 200. Obviously if you hang around on the roof tops there's gonna be shots that have over 200 and there's one sniper view that has 400 odd. As DLL says LP is going to kick this thing into life when I've finished the paint job ;)

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I understand where your coming from on pushing the editor to it's potential. I used to love just messing around making landscapes in Ued. I used to do a bit of mapping myself... in fact, I'll give a little background on my story.

I got Unreal 1. I started Unreal Engine mapping on a Cyrix 200 mhz system with 16 megs of ram - but I didn't want to do the normal DM maps everybody does nowadays, I wanted to do original stuff, which was the killer. Originality takes detail, and my system could hardly handle it... later I upgraded to a 350 mhz AMD k6-2 with 128 meg ram and a junky vid card, and still couldn't do what I wanted. I left the Unreal Engine scene once UT came out, as I couldn't afford any new games at all, and I was getting fed up with the "lets all have gay anal cyber sex in IRC and act like h4x0rs" attitude with the entire community. I came back after a long ways away, with the 436 patch released IIRC. I caught up on the INF updates, and checked up on Serpentine (which I thought was way better than INF back in it's day :) ). I cranked open Ued 2, became disgusted, and vowed never to make a UT map. Instead, I'm waiting for Unreal 2 :) So, I improved on my texturing skills (using PSP 7 and then later moving to PS 5.5 - both have advantages), and became a texture artist. Much easier on the system, and I don't have to play the game to be one :) And that's about it. People in the UT community still haven't grown up, and there are still a lot of guys in the #inf community who have a ways to go too.

To sum it all up, go ahead and make sweet looking maps :) Expression is something few people actually do, and those who do it should feel free to do it without limits (/me looks at his 4000x4000 photoshop graphic files folder). I'll be sure to d/l this next one and check it out :)

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by Thrash123
...and I was getting fed up with the "lets all have gay anal cyber sex in IRC and act like h4x0rs" attitude with the entire community. ...People in the UT community still haven't grown up, and there are still a lot of guys in the #inf community who have a ways to go too.

Thrash, you should map if it is something you enjoy doing. Don't let people on the forums or IRC influence your artistic expression.

I created my bot tweaker for ME. I shared it with others because a lot of people were asking questions that related to editing bots via the ini files. I continue to work on it because it's fun. I like programming. The community sux sometimes. Don't let it bother you.

Edit: Just remember that we're all here because we like Infiltration.

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
Yeah, free expression, thats what its all about. I used to paint on flat surfaces now I paint in 3 dimensions, and I don't go much on being told that I can't use all the colours, or thats its not a good picture because it won't fit in a little frame :) I only got a little 500 mhz frame myself BTW ;)

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
oh yeah forgot that bit, Voodoo 3. Its begining to feel a bit old now though with all this G force stuff floating around. which I'm told I need to run Warfare ed. But everything still runs ok, like Max Payne looked and ran fine. So no hurry yet.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
MUahahahahahaha my bike made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoooohoooooO!

Thanks angelheart, as I believe I have already stated everyone here is in utter amazement and servitude. Anything u need I'm sure we can accomodate.

Thanks a ton for my sig and bike being put in your map and we all anxiously await your map... beta form or complete cant wait to see it in its entirety.

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
Well there's good news and bad news. The good is that a UT version exists, runs rather well for me, looks as good as anything I've done so far and is being tested for missing bits and bsp's as we speak. The bad, well its big, I don't mean just large like Relics
or to big like RealManor, I mean 22mb. Pause for stunned silence .......................... Took just over 2 hours for me to upload to my very small web space, AAAAAAAAAAAArgh! Anyone still interested