UT3 DM-HardFall

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure either, but that was a question that I would hope an admin would see and maybe PM you.;)

Yes, the health vials and the window should be good enough.:)

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Hey dude,

In case you where wondering about adding some cool jumpads to your map to help players orient themselves, Odedge, as release this cool "Directional Jump Pad Squares".

I thought it could be appropriate for your map. Find the new feature here :

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702986

Thanks for the link. I worked on the horizontal jump pads this weekend. I did something similar in that I customized the particle effect, but my changes are a little different, and I also changed the mesh.

Since the mesh now clearly indicates the direction, I was able to keep the particle effect changes pretty subtle. I made the "moving squares" effect shorter (and rectangular). I made the smoke sprites smaller and made them move in the direction of the jump.

The rest of the jump pads are still the same. I was thinking that the red indicator arrows were enough...

Do you think also adding directional movement of the particle effect would be better?

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
sure it would fit better to the clean look of the map :)
....imho

Even if I made the jump-pad effect directional, I would be cautious about removing the red arrows (assuming that is what you are referring to). There are some places where the actual jump pad is easy to overlook (such as the last pic above), and the red arrows help point out where they are.

I like what you've done with the jumpad in the first pic. Personally, I would use this setup for ALL jump pad so it's constant everywhere :D

I think it is worth having a distinction between pads that just get you someplace faster versus those that send you someplace otherwise inaccessible. However, that does not mean that I cannot change the look of the other jump pads to make them a little more consistent. I'm not a huge fan of the default jump-pad look anyway.

Bl!tz

...ǝp¡s ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ uo
i forgot to say that i find ur jump pad modified really nice 2 and yes i was refering to the red arrow
good point to to keep them to help to "find" the jump pads....though it looks like a red pimple on yer map ....the yellow model is more discreet and the color is according with the jump pad stock color ;red and yellow so close are uggly to my eyes....it s personnal feeling and i have old eyes ............haha :p

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
good point to to keep them to help to "find" the jump pads....though it looks like a red pimple on yer map ....the yellow model is more discreet and the color is according with the jump pad stock color

lol! point taken :lol: I can adjust the color to fit better. I'll try that as well as a change to the jump pads themselves.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
any news? :)

I've made some progress, but I have not had much time to work on it recently. I'm making the cars at street level move. I originally thought I might leave them static, but after some experimentation, I really like the effect of having them move. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have a lot of time over the next couple weeks. After that though, I expect to finish it off pretty quickly.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Hey dude :)

I finally play the last build.

Great improvements & I'm happy you put some of my suggestions :D

Something I notice is the footsteps sounds. Most of them are the default one. Proper footsteps sound is a nice touch so I suggest you take a look at all your floor material properties and assign the proper sound. Most of them can use the stone & metal sound since most of your floor are tiles based on those materials.

It's a great build mate :)

Last edited:

dannydesil

Nov 24, 2009
watching it at first i thought the table was going to like break in half from the creaking noise it was making right before the fall. but i must admit the way she actually fell was way funnier than what i thought was going to happen..

Forex Automatic Trading

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Something I notice is the footsteps sounds. Most of them are the default one. Proper footsteps sound is a nice touch so I suggest you take a look at all your floor material properties and assign the proper sound. Most of them can use the stone & metal sound since most of your floor are tiles based on those materials.

It's a great build mate :)

Thanks. Right now I'm working on the moving cars at street level as well as some other finishing touches. I plan to go through all my materials and check their physical materials/sounds, but I think most of them are correct. With the exception of a little metal, almost all my surfaces are stone/brick/tile, which I believe is the default physical material anyway.

Very cool. Thanks.

I've been looking for a good place to host my map. I've used Mediafire for intermediate releases, but I want something better for the final release. Your site is exactly what I need.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Thanks. Right now I'm working on the moving cars at street level as well as some other finishing touches. I plan to go through all my materials and check their physical materials/sounds, but I think most of them are correct. With the exception of a little metal, almost all my surfaces are stone/brick/tile, which I believe is the default physical material anyway.

Mmm, if I remember correctly, the default sounds is terrain unless the mesh as already a appropriate sound assigned which is rather rare. For custom material, you need to assign a proper sound because again, it's the terrain one.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Mmm, if I remember correctly, the default sounds is terrain unless the mesh as already a appropriate sound assigned which is rather rare. For custom material, you need to assign a proper sound because again, it's the terrain one.

I double checked, and you are right. Terrain seems to be the default material. I guess I did not notice since it sounds similar to stone (as opposed to metal, which is very distinct). Regardless, I am setting all the physical materials. I also added some mild reverb in appropriate places. I tried adding zone names, but UT3 seems to ignore them, so it is hard to tell if they are working correctly.

So, this will be done in 2 weeks?;)

Well, with no more UT titles planned, someone has to keep up the tradition. :)

Coincidentally, 2 weeks is sort of a key date. If it is not done by then, I must decide whether to take my computer with me over the holidays. Who knows, maybe I'll have a Christmas release, but I'll try to have it done before then. If I skip the idea of using kismet to make the cars on the street move, then I could have it out this week, but I decided I really want to get that in.