Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Aha, the beyond. That one delightfull scene. Naturally it comes with a perfectly fitting theme....
Those funky spiders are up to some misschief, what could it be?

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Aha, the beyond. That one delightfull scene. Naturally it comes with a perfectly fitting theme....
Those funky spiders are up to some misschief, what could it be?

tbh the only part of the movie that bothered me was when that other doctor died because of the glass shattering. Should have left that him out completely at that part instead.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The BFG (3D)-6/10

I do consider Spielberg to be a genius film maker. This has all the hallmarks of his style including great frame competitions and excellent production values. The animation is superb and the soundtrack by John Williams is a very typical addition to a Spielberg film.

I found the story, based on a story by Roald Dahl and despite being a children's story, left me a bit cold and wondering what the point of it all realty was.

O.k. so it was about bullying but that ended up being a bit thin to carry the whole film.

An interesting adventure story and very well crafted.....

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Men in Black 3 (3D)-7/10

This flick has pretty good visuals and it did look good in 3D on a big screen TV. For the third movie in a franchise it is quite entertaining and doesn't manage to lame itself to death like many other movie trilogies do. The script is quite clever.

A lot of fun and Josh Brolin does a great job in the flick given his role.

Reactions: Al

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Theory of Everything-7/10

I am not big on love stories but this was quite watchable with decent script, acting and music. It managed to keep my interest for the whole two hours and said a lot about Stephen Hawking's life.

What made this movie interesting was that the whole story was taken fro the point of view of Hawking's first wife which I didnt realise before I saw the flick.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended Edition)-9/10

I realised I'd never seen the Extended Version of the Battle of Five Armies so the only thing to do was sit down and watch all of the trilogy from the beginning.

The reason I give this film (and probably the two others) such a high score is that they are masterpieces of Hollywood film-making on every level; script, acting, music and visualisations are as close to perfect as you will get in any film.

Reactions: Al
Harely Quinn Begins (Suicide Squad)

tl;dr version: It's fine. Not great. Harley is the star.

Long version...

On my way out of the theater, a couple of millennial girls were walking behind my lady and I and we overheard them droning on about how bad the film was, and how poorly the characters were portrayed, and all those other forgettable sentiments being bemoaned all over the internet by people who were still in kindergarten in 2003. Yet they are not the only ones. Reviews have not been kind, by and large.

I've put myself in a bubble before seeing it and walking out I can say I understand some of the negativity. But to be certain, most of it is dismissable. If this was anything but a DC adaptation, it would be The Losers, a harmless action flick with a bunch of zany anti-heroes. I'll say this up front, it's a decent action flick. Yes, the "villain" is somewhat one-note, usual of comic book movies where the badguy is CGI and generally lost in a fluster of special effects. Yes, the script is not exactly detailing one of the most compelling plots. But then again the Suicide Squad comics it is based on do not have one either exactly, though those familiar with the 2013 strain of New 52's SS storylines will see where the main influence is from.

I titled this the way I did because this is clearly a Harley Quinn vehicle. How ever you feel about it, Margot Robbie simply nails the character. I did find some other characterizations represented well too, even if minor. Killer Croc for instance says little but I was happy to see him on the big screen. Amanda Waller was also spot on in terms of the comic representation.

I was surprised by how unused The Joker was. I don't think Jared Leto did a poor job, what I'm saying is that there just was not a lot of material for him. He doesn't exactly DO anything really Joker-esque, seems more like a crazed thug. But he's a side character, an accessory in the way Dead Shot's daughter is. There for little other purpose than "backstory." I'd say the trailer pretty accurate in showing all the notable scenes Jared Joker is in.

There's perhaps not much to speak about, beyond this. Not a bad movie, but it's a starting point. A standalone Harley Quinn movie will likely be next. Definitely not the trainwreck the internet is making it out to be. And certainly nothing anyone should be acting insulted by. If my viewing of the The Killing Joke in the end of July has proven anything, very few people going to these movies actually read the comics. You shouldn't have to in order to enjoy a movie, and that's what the Nolan's Batman and Donner's Superman movies understood. But having said that I'm almost positive most people are going into this expecting 90s cartoon era Mad Love and not the trashy New 52 Suicide Squad comics this is based on. It is a niche series that does not carry much weight in the scheme of other storylines, and if the movie fails at anything it's that maybe DC flicks need something stronger to carry them against the success of Marvel (inferior mythology yet with better understanding of what makes a popcorn flick). It also feels pretty safe, something else DC doesn't need if they are going to continue making movies. People are comparing it to Deadpool and saying maybe it should have been rated R. I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think ratings would have mattered for this one. More four letter words and gore is not going to win the race, and the SS comics weren't any more or less racy than this anyway. Well, maybe a little more clown side-boob and splody heads was in the comic, but c'mon.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Suicide Squad (3D)-7/10

I agree with most of what Mr. Prophet says.

As far as not enough Joker I think we have all seen enough of him.

Considering Batman vs. Superman (which I haven't seen yet, hello Wonder Woman and Flash) D.C. obviously needed a vehicle to establish a foundation for their pantheon of arch villains to play off against The Justice League (which makes sense if you know the comics and lore).

I agree that Margot Robbie was perfect as Harley. Again Hollywood has managed to create another totally fake Australian accent in Boomerang's character; it's totally overplayed.

I can see a Justice League movie on the horizon....

Great 3D .

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended Edition)-9/10

I realised I'd never seen the Extended Version of the Battle of Five Armies so the only thing to do was sit down and watch all of the trilogy from the beginning.

The reason I give this film (and probably the two others) such a high score is that they are masterpieces of Hollywood film-making on every level; script, acting, music and visualisations are as close to perfect as you will get in any film.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Extended edition)-9/10

What more can be said?