Ideas for Posting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Please keep conversation sane and rational. Personal attacks, as usual, will not be tolerated. As Epic will be reading ideas from this forum, please make sure to keep your thread titles concise and clear, and perhaps relevant to the discussion you want to have.

Also, several of us have UE4 subs and there is no NDA or anything else on it. If you would like to know how something looks or works, let us know and I'm sure someone can explain it to you or post a screenshot or video for you.

Finally, adding graphs/pictures/etc to your ideas is helpful so people have an idea what you are talking about. Consider posting them.

Have fun! :)

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I can see how other UT forums might not have lasted as long as this one. Having a small yet steady base of users doesn't put too much strain on the site and allows for communication and correspondence.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
so true, the UE forums are a mess of shouting between UT and UT2004 players its horrid

My favourite thread right now is the Sniper versus Lightning Gun thread. It's a complete joke. People don't seem to get that the two are theoretically functionally almost identical.

The UT99 crowd are screaming hard for the Sniper Rifle just because UT99.

I'm a proponent of the LG, personally. It had more style - but that's all it is really xD

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm a proponent of the LG, personally. It had more style - but that's all it is really xD
I love the Lightning Gun. It is one of the best things to come from the 2kX series. There was nothing quite as satisfying as the crack followed by HEADSHOT!

Rohit

May 29, 2008
Prefer the classic sniper rifle. My (minor) issue with the lightning gun - you can't fully appreciate your headshots.

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
Didn't the LG have splash damage? Or was that a mutator? I thought you could actually get a double headshot with the forking bolt. If I am imagining that it would be a cool addition to the new UT.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
My favourite thread right now is the Sniper versus Lightning Gun thread. It's a complete joke. People don't seem to get that the two are theoretically functionally almost identical.

The UT99 crowd are screaming hard for the Sniper Rifle just because UT99.

I always felt that the LG was ripped off from quake3A so I never saw it as very original.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Didn't the LG have splash damage? Or was that a mutator? I thought you could actually get a double headshot with the forking bolt. If I am imaging that it would be a cool addition to the new UT.
The splash damage is the standard behavior and it's an awesome part of the UT2004 LG! Sometimes you get a multi-kill.

LG Head Shots: Hard to read the code in detail right now, but for player characters you only get the one head shot, which is the first/primary lightning charge. For vehicles it repeatedly checks for head shot hits, so maybe it would be possible in a multi-seat vehicle?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Beyond Unreal is the true and only Unreal/UT forum. Everything else, official or not, crumbled in the face of time, BU stands firm.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Didn't the LG have splash damage? Or was that a mutator? I thought you could actually get a double headshot with the forking bolt. If I am imaging that it would be a cool addition to the new UT.
It was possible, but the forked bolts did quite a bit less damage so the person had to be injured for it to happen.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I always felt that the LG was ripped off from quake3A so I never saw it as very original.

I related it more with the Tesla Cannon turrets from Red Alert more than anything Quake given the one-shot functionality vs. the constant short-range stream.

Apr 11, 2006
I never liked the aesthetics of the Lightning Gun, but conceptually I'm fine with it. Functionality wise it's fine. I just feel like a more traditional Sniper Rifle fits more with my conception of UT. Maybe with some minor futuristic twist to explain why it has a tracer.