Monsterhunt mayhem: The good, the bad and the ugly

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sooo.. who is still actively participating in the monster hunt, be it online onslaught or offline mayhem.

In my case, it's been a while. I'll always think of Monsterhunt as one of the most enjoyable mods though. (yes, even with the amount of dodgy maps out there -> but yeah that was then.)

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
This has prompted me to start putting my server back together. Now I wait whilst it downloads 596MB of updates (CentOS 5.4->5.5). Roll on CentOS 6 and delta rpms!

At least that gives me time to find the tar of my "perfect" server setup that I have somewhere. :)

Some MH sounds like fun.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Maps

There are many more maps out there now and they are much better than the old standard crap that was being put out so long ago. MH just keeps on growing and getting better! I think there are 40+ servers now and of every flavor. When I started mine, I was 1 of 4 maybe.

Yes, please get that perfect server together and gather some friends. Get out there and play! If you haven't played in a while, you'll be shocked how must faster and more fun MH is now.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
that "perfect" server

Note the quotation marks!

iirc, the server was mainly set up as a DM/CTF box with a fairly (if not completely) vanilla MH set up with MapVoteLA to switch between things.

Vanilla MH is quite tough on some maps (no regenerating ammo, only 6(?) lives). It was quite common to be unable to finish a map because everyone had died too many times. :(

Anyway, the OS updates completed before I went to bed last night (or rather, I went to bed after the updates had completed) and I did find the tar file so maybe some installation will be in order this evening. :)

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Yes

Yes, do it but also note that though you show I quoted the term perfect server, when I look at my post I don't see that I quoted it. Mine hasn't been edited either so it makes me wonder how you show that to be a quote from me when in fact a quote would have included my actual punctuation yet I did not put quotes around that word. I did notice it is in quotes around it in your post above mine but your quote says it came from me. How can that be?

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
that perfect server
Note the underline!

The perfect MH server, that I still looking for is like this:

- Good maps (it's not always about the looks, but also about gameplay and dynamics)

- No mega health monsters (most ridiculous thing I ever experienced in games, at all, is to stand [or jump around] for like three minutes firing at the same monster waiting till the "260530014" health points turn "0". I hate it with such a passion, I could explode and kill all the buggers in a nuclear blast, if I could)

- No infinite spawn monsters (I hate it if they keep spawning. I like rewards; you fight good, they get defeated, you proceed to the next fight)

- Classic all the way (I like the normal UT guns, no crazy things, no crazy sounds or monsters. Only Unreal monsters, sure they can be customized, like an extraordinarily large Skaarj, or a Queen shooting rockets, but no crazy things that make your eyes and ears bleed. Nothing feels better than defeating a monster by a well placed shock combo, no mega boom, no ultra splashdamage, but hard work and a quick reward)

- People who actually play on that server.

- Regeneration (I admit tough, that I like regenerating health and ammo. One of the things I hate in games is to search for ammo in a map, it feels more solid if you bring all what you need and are well equipped for the fights. Also I play MH for fun, not skill, so I like to have my health regenerated during a rest, so I can keep having fun)

My only played MH server right now is "Killerbee's MonsterHunt Palace", by the ()mG clan. Relatively simple and classic held server. Sure depends on the map, but often it feels like you're playing simple UT MH, normal monsters and UT weapons. And the best of all, there are many known faces that keep regularly showing up on the server, including Killerbee.
Though, it got recently updated with Quake3 like hit sounds and stuff. I'd prefer something without all this stuff, purity.

I also like 3's co-op server for it's simplicity. You have slow firing weapons, but every shot counts, that's fun.

Long time ago I used to play a lot Unreal co-op on Zora's server, great times, need to check if it's still there.

Right now I mostly play Infiltration co-op. Infiltration is a slow paced tactical sim for UT (real guns, low health, etc), with the Unreal/UT singleplayer/co-op maps. Good fun, but I like to have some UT MH every once in a while.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
3s was a good monsterhunt server back in the day. Always on the highest skill level and vanilla weapons. Was quite the challenge sometimes.
Nowadays it's coop, and it has recharging ammo. But no regen, though. You can easily go without that. Normal health keeps you on your toes :) And usually you fight fiercer and better when you're on lower health. The challenge arises again.

And oh yes, those megahealth monsters. Also used to give me a headache. Like the one in mh-ataa0, that big skaarj. As if those pupae weren't bad enough (the titans went down relatively fast, mind you with those insane weapons.. but it was a tedious map anyway), you'd have to face a skaarj with iirc 1 million hp. And extremily deadly projectiles. Knock the hell out of your 1500 hp. Only one blast and you were back at the spawn points.

The most fun maps I used to play were the tges series. At first I couldn't stand them, because they were too hard. I mean: very few heatlh laying around, "minor" weaponry at your disposal (enforcer and stinger). But it worked. Once you got the hang of it, it worked beautifully.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Yes, do it but also note that though you show I quoted the term perfect server, when I look at my post I don't see that I quoted it. Mine hasn't been edited either so it makes me wonder how you show that to be a quote from me when in fact a quote would have included my actual punctuation yet I did not put quotes around that word. I did notice it is in quotes around it in your post above mine but your quote says it came from me. How can that be?
Apologies.

I added the quotation marks back into the quote of your post in order to emphasise that I was NOT in possession of the "perfect" server. I should have written something like "fixed" to make that clear.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Good

It's all good Iron Monkey! Now, to answer the question about which servers were there besides mine in the beginning:

I don't recall a single server name. I do recall I had to convert the UTJMH mod from Japanese to english to install it or something like that. I had to get it from some place that had the word Zebra in the name if I recall that part correctly. According to what I have on my website in regards to the history of my MH server being the "Monster Hunt Mayhem" server, I officially started the server on April-20-2005. See more details about it here:

http://hermskii.ipower.com/page3.html

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Back in 2000 and 2001 I used to run the {S'PORT} clan server that had MH on it, I don't remember the name of it, it was {S'PORT} something, but it's been a long while. I remember having to update from v500 to v503 which caused a lot of problems that still exist today, just not as much. Then from there I hosted the "utmh.com" server that I ran for a couple years before moving it to PlanetMonsterHunt.com which I bought sometime in 2004.

Last edited:

Hitman-]-[S>

-=]UM[=-Hitman
Nov 11, 2009
Sweden
unrealmayhem.com
I finely have my MH-server like i want it with maps and settings ,I most say it was a HUGE job to get it all to work with mods and settings ,So for those who like to take a peak at it
its 217.163.23.50

Fuzz_Ball

Aug 18, 2010
AZUSA
Hitman-]-[S>;2458502 said:
I finely have my MH-server like i want it with maps and settings ,I most say it was a HUGE job to get it all to work with mods and settings ,So for those who like to take a peak at it
its 217.163.23.50

Yep, it's a good setup. Lots of players from around the world and Team Speak is an added bonus. You have a good community, Hitty! :2thumb:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Bump

For some reason I was thinking about this incredibly insane map named Mh-Sake yottaramake.
And I wondered if there would it be any footage of it on youtube.

Well, whadaya know....

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88Jma_7ZBs[/m]