Unreal Development Kit Announced!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
So this was it then....anyway can you actually modify the engine or something? Or not...I guess not, right?

Anyway, is that Ball demo any new content? And the new UT demo, will they release it standalone too? Can you play online with it? By hearing only 3 weapon are included, I guess not.

strangelet

May 13, 2004
*wipes away tear* thankyou epic, thankyou.

you put up with our moaning for how long? and all the time you knew this was coming.

thankyou.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I request that somebody makes a physics sandbox game like Garry's Mod, just with PhysX instead of HavokII :D

So I was wondering, how much do I need to know, in order to do anything with this UDK thing?

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
I'm downlading this now. But it still doesn't seem like a really fair bargain, from what I gathered for commercial use you have to pay 25% of you revenue which kinda really ****ing steep. But this should be fantastic for mods.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Man, one thing I hope you guys realize is that this is almost EXACTLY the engine build that we're using here at Epic!

You get every single feature that we've been using here that aren't even in any games yet! We only got some of these features last week!

Can't wait to see some of the cool shizzle that comes out of this :)

Don't quote me on this, but I assume all the licensee studios have this same build as well. The new content browser is amazing!

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Don't quote me on this, but I assume all the licensee studios have this same build as well. The new content browser is amazing!

Well, potential access to. A lot of studios will still use older versions, since they don't necessarily need all the newest features, and merging with the newest builds would prove to time consuming to warrant it worth-while.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
So what's the catch, besides no Epic support?

But it still doesn't seem like a really fair bargain, from what I gathered for commercial use you have to pay 25% of you revenue which kinda really ****ing steep.
While true, keep in mind how much a license costs. If you're creating something you don't expect to be able to sell tons of copies of, its hard to justify the price epic charges for a license.

So this was it then....anyway can you actually modify the engine or something? Or not...I guess not, right?
I think you get basically every form of development tool for the engine, but no engine source. Much like UE2 runitme but without all the restrictions on how you can use it.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
****ingly awesome. And since many UT3 mods impressed the hell out of me, this is even more awesome to see what people can do with UE3.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
While true, keep in mind how much a license costs. If you're creating something you don't expect to be able to sell tons of copies of, its hard to justify the price epic charges for a license.
Yeah I know but it's still a lot of money for a royaltee fee. And I'm hoping that if people start using this more the percentage might go down because this UDK is seriously awesome. The lighting in all of the sample maps is just beautiful.

hanji

N00bonator
Apr 24, 2006
Hmm, time to gather the whole modding community and create Unreal and Unreal Tournament Community Edition? :p

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Yeah I know but it's still a lot of money for a royaltee fee. And I'm hoping that if people start using this more the percentage might go down because this UDK is seriously awesome. The lighting in all of the sample maps is just beautiful.

It might be a high royalty percentage, but if you expect to sell about 100 copies for $20 bucks each then I'd rather get $1500 and give Epic $500 than get all $2,000 and pay $1,000,000 license to Epic. Anyone expecting to do well and on a large scale will probably find the funding to buy a traditional license. I'm excited about the possibilities that this is opening!