UT3 Singleplayer - Desires?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I didn't like ut3 singleplayer at all, it took itself far too seriously.
Really? I didn't find it all that serious, really. I think mostly the players wanted it to be serious and they took it that way (which wasn't helped by the fact that Epic presented it as serious in previews/pre-release trailers).
UC2 had far less cutscenes than UT3. It had a bit more game modes as well, a favourite of mine being "kill more nali than your opponent before the time runs out".
UC2 had quite a bit of cutscenes. And it did have more gamemodes, however most of the added gamemodes wouldn't work in regular UT. Nali slaughter for example wouldn't work without melee weapons really.

UT3 could have taken a note from UC2, though. Despite the fact that it had "Campaign" it also had the regular old tournament in it.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
UBerserker, I don't think Epic will forget Unreal III. I mean, in all of the forums I visit people talk about what's going to be next, and most of the people agree that it should be Unreal III. They must be completely blind if they don't notice that. Plus it's a very returning topic, you get to discuss this over and over again.
And it should not be a prequel, it's against the laws of time in the series. However, if they notice the Timeline they wrote, Unreal III should tell the story of Green Worlds Rebellion and such. A lot of time still there before UT99 times start.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
My sp desires? Well, it's not really about story to me, I want bots that I actually have a hard time playing against instead of breezing through the hardest skill level. Take a note from the CPMA bots, now those are annoyingly good unlike the bots in the Unreal series.

I want a challenge and if there's no challenge to bot play, then there's no reason for me to ever play a botmatch offline.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
UC2 had some good singleplayer ideas, though I personally believe that it could do just fine without anything more than a UT or UT2004 styled tournament ladder.

Not every game needs to have a storyline - take Left 4 Dead for instance. It's an established genre and we all get the gist of the idea without being force-fed cheesy one-liners and silly premises. Also, its campaign offline is identical to the one that is online.

That got me thinking (yeah, yeah ;))

A coop mod where you pick out 4-6 of the most memorable moments/sections of Unreal and turn them into "movies" or missions ala L4D.

I would pay for it, no doubt.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
What might have been nice and give us a bit more content to mod with and play with would be a single player campaighn from each teams perspective. All kind of ending up at each lot joining the tournament with resons to do so. A tutorial of how each wepon and each veacle works thrown in and the single player is like an entertaining tutorial for the multiplayer. Should be enough single player content to keep those that dont go for the multiplayer content to be happy and more than enough multiplayer maps and content. That would also keep the map makers and modders happy.That and it would be fun to play the campaighn as a Necris.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
If there is any Singleplayer to UT3 or UT4, what are you looking for?

[not the Instant Action style :eek:, but more like Killzone, Gears of War or else]

Something intresting that can be played either single or coop with a well developed story, maby some team managemnt thrown in, train and equipp your team with weapons vehicles and armor, train their reflexes, strenght etc.

Well, everyone loves the Tournament ideas, I also do... but I could also enjoy playing the game in a deeper way. I mean, who are these characters? How did they become so experience in fighting against each others? What does it look like to live the life of Reaper, etc...

The Tournaments are only one interesting part of many intense and possible others I would guess.

I dont like the tournament especially not the direction Epic has taken it. the team managment in UT200x has some potential, initially it wasent very much you could do with it.

-hire guys
-heal guys
-challenge guys

Thats about it, if Epic evolved that future that you could buy weapons armors and vehicles or able to train your buddies endurance, strenght, speed ontop of managing their health, it would certainly make the tournament more intresting since you have something to actually care for. Epic made alot of promises about the AI aswell perhaps hold up to those aswell.

A proper tournament - i.e. put the Tournament back in Unreal Tournament.

I never cared for the UT3 SP. I accepted the characters for what they were - one dimensional bits of wallpaper. And definatlely don't do it like Gears of War. The way the "storyline" was shoehorned into that gorefest was forced, pathetic and clichéd. If anything the Unreal franchise needs to distance itself from Gears of War as far as possible.

One of the things that I found so appealing about that made the first UT - and the original Unreal too so appealing was that your character was virturally a blank slate. The character could be whatever you wanted to be. In other words you could get totally immersed into the game universe exploring, killing stuff and saving the innocent (or killing them if you wanted to be a baddie yourself). When they tried to define the characters more (John Dalton from U2 or UT3's Reaper) that factor was lost. Why the hell would I want to be soppy old Reaper in the first place?

I don't particularly dig prequels either. They seem to be all the rage at Hollywood these days. I'd personally rather see what should've been done many years ago - a proper sequel to the original game.

I dont fancy UT3's supposed singleplayer either, mainly because it isnt singleplayer, its just deathmatch with bots and a tacky storyline with poorly developed characters slapped on... Honestly here who of you whom completted UT3 didnt want, want Reaper to die in the end...

It seems Epic are trying to leave behind everything Unreal, there are no skaarj and the Krall have been completely transformed. So the chances of seeing another Unreal are slim to none.

What Epic says and what Epic does have nothing in common buddie, picked up that since ut2k3...

Someone still hopes for an Unreal 3 or any sequel to Unreal? We can only dream.
The tournament is the best choice, in a way how it was done in UC2.

Mm Unreal3 is pretty much just a pipedream...
UC2 done as an exlusive console title? Cant really agree to that...

I didn't like ut3 singleplayer at all, it took itself far too seriously.
I was fine with ut2k3/4's singleplayer: ".. so a bunch of dudes were fighting. Here's some skirmishes".

This is all from my "UT is supposed to be a multiplayer series" perspective though. It would make more sense to make an entirely new game (like, oh I dunno, "Unreal") rather than try to shoehorn unreal's multiplayer-focused spinoff back into a singleplayer game.

I'm just not a fan of games trying to be everything. Stick to one audience.

Deathmatch with bots is to serious for you? Really because thats all UT3 singleplayer was exluding that shoddy story and poorly developed characters. Gears of War beats it by lightyears in terms of quality...

Epic havent really catered to an online mutliplayer community, while they have released a couple of games they havent included much of services for the community to grow or stay connected.

UC2 had some good singleplayer ideas, though I personally believe that it could do just fine without anything more than a UT or UT2004 styled tournament ladder.

Not every game needs to have a storyline - take Left 4 Dead for instance. It's an established genre and we all get the gist of the idea without being force-fed cheesy one-liners and silly premises. Also, its campaign offline is identical to the one that is online.

L4D has a story altough subtle, its filled with one liners and a zombie outbreak is a silly premise, however it does it well compared to say UT3, L4D got the formula done right with Single/Multi/Coop and the Versus mode allows you to play as freakin Zombies...

That got me thinking (yeah, yeah ;))

A coop mod where you pick out 4-6 of the most memorable moments/sections of Unreal and turn them into "movies" or missions ala L4D.

I would pay for it, no doubt.

With Invasion gone how likley is that to happen though.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
L4D has a story altough subtle, its filled with one liners and a zombie outbreak is a silly premise, however it does it well compared to say UT3, L4D got the formula done right with Single/Multi/Coop and the Versus mode allows you to play as freakin Zombies...
By silly premises, I meant things like FLaGs. By one-liners I meant stuff like "food co-ret". Things like that.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Tournament - nothing less, nothing more. Is that too much asked?

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Deathmatch with bots is to serious for you? Really because thats all UT3 singleplayer was exluding that shoddy story and poorly developed characters. Gears of War beats it by lightyears in terms of quality...

The story certainly was too serious for me to be able to swallow it. If it was intended as tongue in cheek, it went way over my head.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
By silly premises, I meant things like FLaGs.
At first I thought this was meant as a joke and I thought, ha, cool, let's play CTF to kill the OpFor. Then I brought the last flag home to supposedly stop the enemy respawners but then I didn't even have to kill the remaining opponents off? Please? What was I doing here? Even if a player accepts the shoddy FLaG explanation the game doesn't even put its money where its mouth is!

A shame, maybe, because apart from the stupid joke-factor it might have made a fun gamemode. Like, every player/team has a certain number of lives and capturing the FLaG takes some away from the other team. That way capping flags would still be very important but raw killing power would factor in some more as well. And it would have made sense in the messy singleplayer. Some more sense than the current solution at least.

As for singleplayer, I'd like to see the Tournaments return too. Either as in UC2 with a personal story, cutscenes and some side-missions here and there or as a dynamic tournament ala UT2004 but with a little more depth and some interaction with the team members. Perferrably both. One UC2-like Tournament for a character (demoguy?) and beating it on any difficulty unlocks the regular Tournament mode which works more like UT2004.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
At first I thought this was meant as a joke and I thought, ha, cool, let's play CTF to kill the OpFor. Then I brought the last flag home to supposedly stop the enemy respawners but then I didn't even have to kill the remaining opponents off? Please? What was I doing here? Even if a player accepts the shoddy FLaG explanation the game doesn't even put its money where its mouth is!

A shame, maybe, because apart from the stupid joke-factor it might have made a fun gamemode. Like, every player/team has a certain number of lives and capturing the FLaG takes some away from the other team. That way capping flags would still be very important but raw killing power would factor in some more as well. And it would have made sense in the messy singleplayer. Some more sense than the current solution at least.

As for singleplayer, I'd like to see the Tournaments return too. Either as in UC2 with a personal story, cutscenes and some side-missions here and there or as a dynamic tournament ala UT2004 but with a little more depth and some interaction with the team members. Perferrably both. One UC2-like Tournament for a character (demoguy?) and beating it on any difficulty unlocks the regular Tournament mode which works more like UT2004.

I have a feeling when the flags are gone the other team just runs. Respawners are a great idea till thay are gone and those used to them probably turn tail as soon as thay dont have that protection.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
A two player coop with extreme action and mature language. Think Kane and Lynch. Make it as Unreal as possible. You want to feel presence and have a thick storyline to follow. Make it personal with long lasting grudges. It must be familiar and plausible so it won't look made up completely. Ditch the game/arena/tournament aspect and introduce a real war instead. Tournament is for competitive multiplayer.

Sounds more like an idea for Unreal III, not an Unreal Tournament sequel or expansion. When it comes to Kane and Lynch, believe the hype. Awesomeness, here I come!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why does it need mature language? Every game I've ever played with tons of swearing in it sucks and also sounds so forced and worthless.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Why does it need mature language? Every game I've ever played with tons of swearing in it sucks and also sounds so forced and worthless.

Company of Heroes is an exception! It felt pretty natural there.

Jesus, Conrad! Tie your ****ing laces!
*while pinned down by stationary machine guns* Anyone got a ****ing grenade?!

Imo these type of lines would be more forced if the swears were replaced with "fricken" and "gosh darnit". Yeah, depends on the quality of the acting too obviously, but I quite liked CoH's.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Give me a tournament like ut99. I want to pick my team, but i don't want to pick my team members. It really felt more like you were a part of a team when you were all human and wore the same armour. Not like in 2k3/4 where your team is made up of every species in the game. And i liked it how the ut99 single player added descriptions for everyone you fought and the maps you were playing on. There WAS a story there, you just had to look to find it. Maybe if they replaced the character descriptions with cutscenes that showed just how n00b or badass the guy is it would be more interesting.

Now call me a n00b, but i still enjoy playing the ut99 tutorials :lol:. I hated the ut2kx tutorials because they were just movies. The ut99 tutorials were interactive and really immersive. This isn't really a big thing, but i would like interactive tutorials for each of the game modes just like ut99. Preferably with a special map that can't be seen anywhere else in the game for each tut, just like in UT1.

Also, make bots more interesting! I still find the ut99 ones to be the best. You can order your whole team to "Hold this position" on a DM map and your whole team will converge on that spot and defend it like a flag base.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Company of Heroes is an exception! It felt pretty natural there.

Jesus, Conrad! Tie your ****ing laces!
*while pinned down by stationary machine guns* Anyone got a ****ing grenade?!

Imo these type of lines would be more forced if the swears were replaced with "fricken" and "gosh darnit". Yeah, depends on the quality of the acting too obviously, but I quite liked CoH's.
In a "war game" I would agree. In GTA4 it sounds forced like they had to try and write them in after the script was already written. And some games like Unreal/UT having them or not having them makes pretty much no difference, so the choice to remove them is really nice.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I have a feeling when the flags are gone the other team just runs. Respawners are a great idea till thay are gone and those used to them probably turn tail as soon as thay dont have that protection.
Ok, if I could buy the FLaG nonsense I could buy the huge bulky macho soldiers who are treated and described as war veterans all the time yet they wisely chose not to fight at all when there are no respawners (kind of like a marine going: "Hells naw, I ain't going out there. I can play some CS or CoD4 against them pesky camel jockeys but real combat? Naw, not me...").
But then Epic should have made a little cutscene similar to the WAR victory vids of the cores exploding that showed the "defeated" enemies fleeing or maybe even make a few little chase missions. Or, cheaper even, just a few voiced comments from your comrades about how the opponents are a bunch of wussies who won't fight without respawners around. Anything, really. Anything that indicates that this isn't just pure old classic CTF forced into "warfare".

Besides: What happens if the other team caps your flag too often? You don't have the option to fight on (with just the one life you are currently living) either!

Haha. Why am I even writing this. As if it wasn't clear from the first time anyone saw this in their games that it doesn't make any sense.:lol: