UT3 online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
In my book that says there is something very wrong with the new version if it cannot retain a larger player base than its four and a half year old slower, less intense predecessor, especially as many of the people who I see on ONS servers were the better UT3 players until they left.
To comment on that point, there's probably a good number of the UT fanbase who first played UT2003 or UT2004, and this would be a very drastic change for them. The two gameplay styles are very, very different.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
No, they're not, and that's a piss-poor excuse you've got to try and justify it.

UT2004 had plenty of overcrowded, tight spaces with a bunch of newbs slinging rockets (see: half the FragBU crowd). It's the same basic mechanics -- the same spawning with a horrible weapon, the same basic movment system, the same looking for one or two good weapons (only different ones now), the same spawn killing (except now it's even easier), the same power-up whoring, the same vehakal failing. UT3 is nothing a UT player of any kind can't get used to.

The only difference is UT2004 did what it did well, even if it wasn't ideal, and UT3 does what it does sh*ttily.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
T2A disliking UT3? Who knew!

Needless to say, I disagree with you.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
No. We are quite happy having you on FG servers :D (ut2004 of course)

Of course UT2004, the FG community prepared for UT3 big time and the top German clans were fighting for the best ONS players for WAR in UT3 prior to release.

What happened? I quote the UT3 trailer: "Then the WAR came"

Well the FG people and clans saw WAR and decided to move on to COD4, TF2 or stay with ONS.

Too bad... ...I would like some more players for the infantry gametypes in UT3, coz I am originally a UT player. (Not gonna enter any UT3 vehicle. I had my testdrives and they almost all failed;P )

EDIT:
Yes, WAR is more intense... ...you fight all those clumsy "glitches" this gametype brings AND the opponents. Too bad the overall speed was taken out of WAR with the removal of teleporting via nodes. I tested it. A quick node-teleport and getting a manta to go to primary is faster than going to these portals and teleporting for a Manta or getting to primary on the hoverboard.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
ONS was popular in UT2004, but I don't think it was consistently popular. It was rarely populated by the same people for weeks on end, instead it seemed to have both the highest player counts and the highest rate of revolving door velocity. :p

I can't talk about what happened in the past, but I often play on the Omnip)o(tents Onslaught server and it has a large group of dedicated server regulars.

UT3 is just fine. Most of the people who have "gone back" to UT2004 simply don't like UT gameplay.

Couldn't some of them have gone back to UT99, too? I know a couple UT99 CTF pug players who bought UT3 and/or who liked the game play of the demo but now they just play UT99 CTF. I'm one of them I guess.

I also play UT 2004 Onslaught and Invasion-RPG. I think that UT 2004 Onslaught has a higher fun factor than UT3 Warfare. I like the feel of the UT3 movement better and don't mind the Orb but something about the vehicles just doesn't feel right and for some ridiculous reason you can't have a first person view in the vehicles (big problem when you're in a Raptor and want to shoot at targets on the ground).

I think Epic got the feel of the movement right with UT3 and the CTF game feels pretty good (minus the inability to throw weapons, which is ridiculous).

Anyway, I'm one of those people who think that the final UT3 product is severely flawed in spite of some of its positive aspects. I really wanted this game to succeed and to revitalize the UT franchise, but I've concluded that it was a stillborn. Does that make me one of the evil anti-UT3 types?

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
UT3 is just fine. Most of the people who have "gone back" to UT2004 simply don't like UT gameplay (which is much faster, much more in your face, much more about luck and fiery explosions of giblets gameplay than UT200X's run away and hide, if you're good you'll never die, pot shot me from a million miles away gameplay).

From what I played at FBU last week I was pretty happy with the CTF game. The xloc auto-switch change was a bit jarring and I need more practice to get into the habit.

Yes I was still getting owned left and right by JD who was a superior player, but I was able to get in a few lucky kills by spamming flak/rockets at the right time which made the game feel a lot more UT like. Link Gun secondary is lethal again, the primary shot radius is tighter like the old pulse gun and just looks cleaner. Bio Rifle is crazy fun again. I was able to pull head-shots with the Sniper Rifle without zooming. The enforcer feels great too, I like the feel of it as a derivative of the magnum from Unreal 2 / XMP.

This felt a lot better than UT2 ever did. I was never a big fan of the shock rifle (outside of combo whoring) and just being able to get close to an enemy feels like a big improvement.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
No, they're not, and that's a piss-poor excuse you've got to try and justify it.
Really now? So UT and UT3 have dodgejumping? Instant weapon switch? Ridiculous hitscan dominance? Terrible map scaling? ****ty starting weapons that can't kill worth a damn unless you have two? Weapons that are entirely useless against others?

Please, do us all a favor and go away already. You don't play either of the games anymore, and it seems any post you make is just to bitch about how much UT3 sucks or how UT2004 is superior. You're little more than a troll at this point.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
So, being anti-UT2004 all the time isn't trolling but being anti-UT3 is? Fair and balanced as Fox News, I see.

You're arguing that many people don't play UT3 because they somehow couldn't hack it due to liking UT2004. That's just an ego-boosting delusion on your behalf. I guess by your logic a good UT player can't be good at or can't enjoy CoD because "the two gameplay styles are very, very different"? All it takes is a little practice, my friend, provided the game is worthy of the time. UT3 isn't. It's not about being unable to keep up.

BTW, I still shoot bots in UT2004 or UT as warmup before going to play CoD4, so I do still play it. ;)

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
So, being anti-UT2004 all the time isn't trolling but being anti-UT3 is? Fair and balanced as Fox News, I see.

You're arguing that many people don't play UT3 because they somehow couldn't hack it due to liking UT2004. That's just an ego-boosting delusion on your behalf. I guess by your logic a good UT player can't be good at or can't enjoy CoD because "the two gameplay styles are very, very different"? All it takes is a little practice, my friend, provided the game is worthy of the time. UT3 isn't. It's not about being unable to keep up.

BTW, I still shoot bots in UT2004 or UT as warmup before going to play CoD4, so I do still play it. ;)
My not liking 2k4 anymore because of what it became from 2006 onward has nothing to do with the issue. But I don't spout out "UT2004 SUCKS" every time someone opens their mouth about it, while I know that in any thread with a whisper of Anti-UT3 sentiment, you're in there to chime in with the same tired things you've said for the last 10 months.

And yes, I do think that a fair reason of the people who got past UT3's admitted faults eventually left it due to a mix of the lower player numbers, and it being very different in feel and play from UT2004. In UT2004, all you needed to do good in most non-vehicle gametypes was the ability to hit at least 50% of your shots with a shock rifle or a lightning gun. Maybe knowing how to do shock combos and stuff too, but for most gametypes, that's all. Aim can compensate for damn near anything in 2k4, and if you see your target coming, they'll usually have no chance.

In UT3, that doesn't fly. You can't switch weapons as quickly, so the Shock/Lightning (or in UT'3's case, Shock/Sniper) tandem just isn't as effective. Rate of fire is slower, and knockback is considerably decreased. In fact, if you're surprised by an attack, you're at a fair disadvantage, because you can't just whip out your favorite weapon and blast the other guy - you have to have the right weapon for the right situation. Players move, if not actually faster, than visually faster, than 2k4, and a up-close playstyle is once again strategically viable. This, naturally, did not sit well for the good hitscanners of 2k4, who are used to picking everything off that comes in their sight before it could close in, and well, when you take enough rockets up the ass, eventually you get angry, because rockets shouldn't kill you, you know?

Also, that hardly qualifies as playing it. Shooting bots! Wow. Bots are stupid and predictable. When it's more than that, and you actually man up and play online, you're actively playing it. ;)

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Well if you wanted you could play UT3 like you played 2004. All mutators etc for doing this already available. Except shield gun and Assault Rifle.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Well if you wanted you could play UT3 like you played 2004. All mutators etc for doing this already available. Except shield gun and Assault Rifle.

So how many servers out there run this mutator that if it really works like UT2004 allows the following:

-1st person view and zooming in vehicles
-softer steering for wheeled vehicles
-No Orb or only defensive Orb
-Nodes function as teleporters

I could live with or without on-foot-movement like in UT2004.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Grobut has pretty much nailed the reasons why I think UT3 instant action sucks.

Campaign didn't suck as bad as... AIDS?

L-O-L. Tell that to the 50% of ut2k4 players who never went online. I was one of them. I like UT3 online, but I like setting up my own games and playing with my mutators and settings even more. The previous UT games have catered to this, and that has kept me playing them for years. UT3 tossed it out the window. Now I only start up UT3 when I'm in the mood for multiplayer (which is not nearly as often). I look for completely different types of experiences in offline and online play, you see, and it's wonderful to have the choice of both in the same game.

I don't care if you're too egocentric to acknowledge that some people hold different values than you, the fact is that UT3 offers less variety of experiences than the previous games, and the slashing of things purely on the UI side, that they could have implemented without even touching the central gameplay mechanics has left them with a lot of unhappy customers.

And you can sit there and say "I decree that the purpose of such-and-such is this, you're all using it wrong, etc. etc." but I think Epic do care about their large amount of offline players, but unfortunately drew the wrong conclusion from the numbers, and decided to *cough* improve the campaign aspect, and they cut the wrong things out.

So go ahead and tell us we're "wrong" for liking the things we do, the fact is the other UT games let us do what we liked, this one doesn't, and the bottom line is that more people are unsatisfied.

Maybe you didn't read what he condensed your quote into, I think that was his real point, and that is the difference.

The name of the thread is UT3 online. Not instant action. My opinion is just that, my opinion. Attacking the messenger in order to dismiss the message and changing the subject in order to promote your own view works well on TV, not on forums.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
The name of the thread is UT3 online. Not instant action. My opinion is just that, my opinion. Attacking the messenger in order to dismiss the message and changing the subject in order to promote your own view works well on TV, not on forums.

I didn't change the subject, someone else brought it up. If you're so against going the slightest bit OT in a thread, what are you even doing spouting all that silly nonsense about IA?

Oh, I see, you weren't actually responding to the people talking about those things, you were addressing your lies and generalizations straight to the OP so he wouldn't be scared off by the parts of the game that do suck and let the player count stay tiny.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I didn't change the subject, someone else brought it up. If you're so against going the slightest bit OT in a thread, what are you even doing spouting all that silly nonsense about IA?

Oh, I see, you weren't actually responding to the people talking about those things, you were addressing your lies and generalizations straight to the OP so he wouldn't be scared off by the parts of the game that do suck and let the player count stay tiny.

You really should make sure to take your meds everyday. Then you might not be so confused and delusional about things. Then go back and read the posts over with a clear head. They may have new meaning.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
You really should make sure to take your meds everyday. Then you might not be so confused and delusional about things. Then go back and read the posts over with a clear head. They may have new meaning.

Maybe try using the quote function next time to show who you are speaking to. Are all the other people who thought you were responding to the direction the thread took delusional and off their meds, too? Couldn't be that you fail at communication.

Yeah, after re-reading, I still have to say you sound really full of it. Your rants and insults about THE ANTI UT3 CROWD this and THE ANTI UT3 CROWD that have about as much to do with what the OP was asking as discussion of how instant action sucks. You must be a fanboy.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Maybe try using the quote function next time to show who you are speaking to. Are all the other people who thought you were responding to the direction the thread took delusional and off their meds, too? Couldn't be that you fail at communication.

Yeah, after re-reading, I still have to say you sound really full of it. Your rants and insults about THE ANTI UT3 CROWD this and THE ANTI UT3 CROWD that have about as much to do with what the OP was asking as discussion of how instant action sucks. You must be a fanboy.

There are fanboys and there is the opposite, the anti UT3. There is such a thing as in between if your able to fathom such a concept. That is something typically lacking in modern society, the ability to think and reason from an unbiased view.

Would a fan boy write this?

I love playing UT3 WARfare, but I think bringing back the tournament ladder would be a great thing for the game. That would be the best way to learn the game for everyone, intermediate players and n00bs alike.

Campaign is just so ****ing stupid in my opinion. I never got past the stupid story line, flags, and respawner explanations. I know the RPG format is big with games like WoW. The WoW players I know actually think they are real pro and godlike fps gamers. I gave several of them copies of UT2K4 a couple years ago for Xmass. They all said the same things. It's too hard, it's too fast, it makes me dizzy, it gave me a headache. Those same folks are getting UT3 this year.

The tournament ladder was great in UT2K4. That's how I learned the game. Instead, for UT3 they had that crap campaign thing. I skipped it and went straight to instant action and then online. It's easy to see where a new player would just toss UT3 if all they did was play the campaign for a bit, sooo boring.

I have my opinions, you have yours. I do not pull any punches. Since your an offline player, your stuck with that, with the bots. I like playing real people even if that means having my arse handed to me in graphical detail quite often. You 50% may be surprised just how different online play is and how appealing the game play can be with real live peeps.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
If you want some fun games, please come to FragBU on weekends. We really could use some players too :) (Except if you're European then you'll be dealing with high pings. That's not to say we don't get a couple European players too!)

UT3 is the fastest, most intense, and most right up in your face killing game ever!
Clearly you haven't played any game with "Quake" in its name. [Q4 and ET:QW don't count.] :)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
There are fanboys and there is the opposite, the anti UT3. There is such a thing as in between if your able to fathom such a concept. That is something typically lacking in modern society, the ability to think and reason from an unbiased view.

Right, and I suppose anyone who does not share your opinion couldn't possibly be doing that, could they? Anyone with a different point of view must be a fanboy or an anti-fanboy? Unlike wise oldkawman who doesn't make sweeping generalizations, or dismiss others' POV because it's not like his own!

I have my opinions, you have yours. I do not pull any punches. Since your an offline player, your stuck with that, with the bots. I like playing real people even if that means having my arse handed to me in graphical detail quite often. You 50% may be surprised just how different online play is and how appealing the game play can be with real live peeps.

Who needs to go back and read again now? I already said I play online. I already said just what you are saying there, that I look for completely different experiences in offline and online play.