UT3 online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fox Hound

Godliek...
May 16, 2006
So I ordered UT3 today, only to come to this forum and find everyone bitching about it. What's the online like? Am I going to struggle to find a decent game? What's the european peak time and roughly how many people are playing it?

Cheers

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
If your new to UT and like fast shooters for example like Quake then you will probably enjoy it for a while at least, If you're an old hand then It may come as something of a shock in the quality control and and flexibility departments. Oh and the offline campaign is a (bad) joke.

I would recommend getting the latest patch (1.3) and installing that before you do anything else as it will remove a lot of aggravation. (I'm guessing here as I gave up on the game after the 1.2 patch)

As for player numbers, very few around 500 online at most. On the other hand those who play seem quite dedicated to it and play most days. Peak times I guess evenings/weekends.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's sad to say but the 500 player count is probably right when the game is at it's peak. There may be more or less in the Euro servers but that's something I wouldn't know.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
It's not that bad, but often joining a game means joining an empty server and fighting a bot until someone joins. Usually takes a few minutes depending on the time and the server. But often it eventually snowballs into a full on fragfest with lots of players joining. You just can't wait for the full servers to show up. There definitely aren't as many regulars.

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
how many people are playing it?

Cheers

well
as i can see it..noone:(
a friend of mine came by my house today,,and asked me about UT3,,cuz he played UT99 like a maniac last weekend ,,and he was interested in this new UT3 game
i said..well.i can install it again and show you cuz i havent played it for a couple of months
i told him how good it lookes and all
he said..lets see some good vCTF..i tried to find a server with some people on it,,,but all servers were empty:eek:
in every gametype that i searched they were all empty,,exept DM
i dont wanna nagg on this or something,,but i stopped doing UT3 cuz noone was playing it,,and a cple of months later its stil the same

strange:( sad to see a good looking game like this not beeing played
take care all,,,and thoose who plays it,,have fun on the servers u find
maybe its better in USA,,i dont know
cya

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
If you're brand new to the UT franchise (which I suspect) then I recommend getting UT 2004 and playing Onslaught and Invasion Monster Hunt RPG.

For UT3 you can find some action on the Warfare servers (UT3 version of Onslaught) but that's about it. Basically, UT3 was a huge flop because it was released as a buggy beta and it had huge user interface problems unbecoming of the UT name.

The Original Unreal Tournament (aka UT99 or UT-GOTY) is widely regarded as the best UT game and one of the greatest online multiplayer games of all time. UT 2004 wasn't bad, either. People still play UT99 to this day but most of the public games are on modded servers and the people who play regular weapons capture-the-flag are mostly doing it as part of organized 5-on-5 clan match style pickup games arranged over the IRC.

So I think UT 2004 is your best bet since you can find populated Onslaught servers and you can play Invasion Monster Hunt RPG 24/7 and have fun.

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
UT99 still has NW servers with no (gameplay modifying) mods. For example the Haleys Hot House servers run multiple popular NW pub servers.

The gameplay of a title is the most important aspect to me. To me, that part of UT3 is almost perfect and certainly much better than ut2k4. UT3 gives casual and new players a much better chance of scoring frags than ut2k4, where any seasoned hit scanner will rape you if you're not a skilled player. So if you're new to the UT series, I think UT3 will suit you more than ut2k4.

The main problem with UT3 are the annoying freeze ups during the loading of maps that occur frequently enough to unsettle the most calm of people. The UI is not a problem for the average player. Only people who are desperate enough to use those lodbias (sp?) tweaks would be aggravated by the wrongly termed 'lack of graphical options.' As for online player counts, yes they are quite low in ut3 copared to other games. But there's almost always at least one highly populated server if you're from the US or Europe.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It's sad to say but the 500 player count is probably right when the game is at it's peak. There may be more or less in the Euro servers but that's something I wouldn't know.
500 is the worldwide total. :p

@Fox: Always read up on games thoroughly before purchase!

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
tried this morning again,,2 minutes ago
all mods are empty,,,i tried them all,,- on amny servers or zerop layers
im gonna give ut99 goty a fair chance again
cya

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
while there may not be thousands of ppl playing i dont know where or when you guys are looking, i cant always find at least a couple servers with players in DM & CTF most of the time and theres always ppl playing warfare and vctf and (ugh) IG ;)
(edit) hey there were even 4 players on my server when i posted this (and id be there too but im supposed ta be working!)

pps. the game is great, but hopefully itll be finished and polished someday...

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
So I ordered UT3 today, only to come to this forum and find everyone bitching about it. What's the online like? Am I going to struggle to find a decent game? What's the european peak time and roughly how many people are playing it?

Cheers

ps. take into account most ppl posting about UT3 dont play UT3 :eek:

UnrealGrrl

Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
well lets see instant action is... instant action, it doesnt suck unless you make it suck. if you mean the "campaign" well that was less than stellar for sure, but it didnt suck as bad as... insert something crappy here

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
well lets see instant action is... instant action, it doesnt suck unless you make it suck. if you mean the "campaign" well that was less than stellar for sure, but it didnt suck as bad as... insert something crappy here

i'll have to politely disagree with you here.
Instant action sucks because epic made it so. Mutators don't get saved and i rely heavily on them to enjoy my game.
And the campaign did suck hard. It sucked, swalled and gagged. It is full of fail.
And that's all strictly "IMO" so no need to get to worked up over it or anything. :D

(BTW are you doing any new voices for JBut3?)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Instant Action sucks because the bots are terrible and the godlike bots are nothing compared to real players. If they were an actual challenge I'd probably play off-line sometimes but not with the way they are now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
i'll have to politely disagree with you here.
Instant action sucks because epic made it so. Mutators don't get saved and i rely heavily on them to enjoy my game.
That doesn't really make Instant Action suck, right? :p
Instant Action sucks because the bots are terrible and the godlike bots are nothing compared to real players. If they were an actual challenge I'd probably play off-line sometimes but not with the way they are now.
How is this different than past UTs? :)