UT3 Servers down worldwide?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
so much for that guy being a security researcher, because I doubt he notified Epic of his findings before disclosing the problems (and releasing PoCs). A bunch of years ago the same guy at least notified Epic of some bugs, and disclosed the bugs to the public a few months after he notified Epic.

This guy has issues.

*PRC*Kensei

Mar 11, 2006
mine is back up now..

but... what the hell are we gonna do in responce to this ? who's gonna help us.

i think we had same prob yesterday, then we got it back working, and now again it went down, and only just got it back working few minutes ago.

run for the hills ? :-/

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I've been able to play 1 full game in the past 2 days on a server. Luckily most servers have restart scripts but they're useless if no one can play games on server. :[

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
If it's only affecting Epic games, which it appears to be, then yes Epic needs to "clean up their crap".

TF2, Quake Wars, and Crysis are currently sailing along nice and smooth.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Its an Unreal Engine issue. It affects UT3, UT2004 and even AA. And while Epic patches things up, they could fix other security issues as well. For example, a server I play on often gets crashed by someone with a dynamic IP and who spoofs GUIDs.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
He doesn't actually "attack" games. He "only" discovers critical bugs, posting detailed descriptions and proof-of-concept exploits publicly without notifying the affected games' developers.

Basically he's like a cheat codes, claiming to do it for "research" and publishing his findings. The only difference is, he doesn't take any money for it and doesn't keep it as secret as the usual cheaters. And he probably doesn't actively use the exploits himself. Then again, he really doesn't have to, some script kiddies already take care of it.
That's how security works though -- see Defcon :p

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
This guy goes out and crashes servers all over the place and now he want's us to trust him to fix the problem he created by installing software by him. I don't think so!

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yeah really fukc him and his 'patch'. like im really going to put hacker code on a server and trust it. if he didnt do "research" in the 1st place there would be no problem. guys just cant help showing off epen0r is the problem :eek: thx to this "research" servers cant stay up at all now, great...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Interestingly, this doesn't affect less-known custom gametypes... That is, they're just not targeted. So, someone must be using a tool to find servers with specific search terms or something?

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
I haven't been following this at all. Any one got a link to 'his' posts?
Also if true, that the info was given to epic first. And if it is a strictly unreal engine problem. Then I would blame epic. For not looking into it from the start.
But I know little on whats happening so ignore me. (private servers ftw.)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
It's impossible to write bug free software, especially something as complex as a multiplayer online game. The only thing you could possibly blame Epic for is that they abandoned UT2004 development in favor of newer games like GoW(2) and UT3.

What is a problem, though, is releasing critical bugs to the public without giving developers even the slightest chance for a fix. And that can only be blamed on the person releasing the info.

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
In conjunction with what I said above. I would blame epic for not finding a solution for such a critical hole, 'When' it was released to them in advanced.
I don't blame the person for releasing the info. Infact glad he did. It creates
incentive to fix it.

Hack a Mac competition encourages revealing known exploits. So they can fix all of them.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is nothing showing he ever did notify Epic. In fact, he makes a point of mentioning on his site that he doesn't notify companies before releasing the info.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If he's trying to get a job as security analyst or something, he's definitely going about it the wrong way. He should've told Epic so he could put it on his resume. :p

TheSynGame

Sep 14, 2008
yeah really fukc him and his 'patch'. like im really going to put hacker code on a server and trust it. if he didnt do "research" in the 1st place there would be no problem. guys just cant help showing off epen0r is the problem :eek: thx to this "research" servers cant stay up at all now, great...

Yeah except someone tried it and it worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.