Does anyone care about Nali City anymore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

airmoron

Jan 22, 2008
Seems to me it should have been fixxed in one week, or less.
Along with incompetent so called 18 hard drives all happen to fail at once, lol.

For BU to supposedly be such a huge influence and tons of users and mappers for Unreal, there is no excuse from which BU came from in the first place, "Nalicity"

Screw all that crap going on at "BUF" NC is far more important, was.

And if the crash had very little to do with NC going down, I can see where the incompetence comes from. eeeeeuuuw

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There are a lot of things you don't understand about NaliCity that have contributed to it going down. The most important of which is that it relies on a module that will not compile on current versions of gcc, so we both cannot recompile it and cannot build it for our new box.

The current version of Nalicity is so dependent on this module that the only way to "upgrade" it is to completely rewrite it. The other part of this problem is that there are very few people who know the codebase well enough to actually fix problems, and those people are either completely absent or absent enough as to not make a difference.

Additionally, we don't get paid to run BU or any of it's sites, we do it in our spare time. I just spent several months rewriting the BU front page. It's a time consuming process. If you think you can rewrite it faster, then by all means, do so :p

airmoron

Jan 22, 2008
Don't mean to be rude, but dang this is a long time.

Why not just do the atypical thing like ALL new, all it needs to do is upload to an ftp, and accounts with a picture.
But I coudn't do it, but I figure the aspects of the internet has been so fully trodden and should be a snap.

I am suprised you guys get no money? he should at least pay a nominal ammount to make you all feel good about it. say 100$ a month.

I wish I did know how to do all this webpage stuff linked to accounts via FTP and webpage accounts.

Why not use a seperate page for comments and new files , and delete that stuff from the front page.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We will probably be rewriting NaliCity. It's in the cards for the very near future. Right now, it mostly comes down to time. Everyone on staff is either a full time employee or a full time student or a full time hal, so we don't have loads of time to devote to it. If I could work on it full time, I could probably have it mostly done in a week.

Jul 2, 2004
We will probably be rewriting NaliCity. It's in the cards for the very near future. Right now, it mostly comes down to time. Everyone on staff is either a full time employee or a full time student or a full time hal, so we don't have loads of time to devote to it. If I could work on it full time, I could probably have it mostly done in a week.

I think people would be much more at ease if they knew someone was actually doing something to fix NaliCity. What worries us all is how the news reports on the front page keep stating that things "don't look good", with no real promise of returning NaliCity to its former glory. I've personally seen too many great mapping sites that have gone to waste over the years (for various games)...

Hyper

Hyper.nl Unreal Services
Nov 21, 2003
Planet Earth
www.hypercoop.tk
I'm still a bit angry about Nalicity because they abandoned Unreal 1. Why why did they forget about their roots and even the origin of the Nali itself...

I remember downloading Illhavan Saga from here. But I guess I'm getting too old. Well, fortunatly OldUnreal.com is still here.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm still a bit angry about Nalicity because they abandoned Unreal 1. Why why did they forget about their roots and even the origin of the Nali itself...

I remember downloading Illhavan Saga from here. But I guess I'm getting too old. Well, fortunatly OldUnreal.com is still here.
Unfortunately, that was an executive decision by a single person.

memsys

Sep 21, 2005
maybe if an admin would post a message that would say something like :
we are doing everything we can to get stuff up and runnig as soon as posible
however the problems are not easy fixed

then people would think good the admins are doing something
good idea ?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We are still working on this. It's not a simple two minute fix, unfortunately.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Unfortunately, that was an executive decision by a single person.

... heh, it bothered me aswell on seeing all Unreal content just being 'flushed'. And i never really fully understood the terms in wich such decision came to be, but oh well, who am i to discuss such matter?...

...although... i support the return of U1 support in Nalicity. By today, someone could say it's not worth it, and that UT can run the maps and conversions have been made of the most popular maps... but... heck... oldunreal is one of the sites that proves that new content is being done, and Nalicity could support it, even because nowadays, the amount of possible U1 re-upload content would never be as extensive as the original database was, i'm sure, so no excuse on server space 'wasted'. And some unique U1 content would surely like a proper Nalicity hosting place...

... not complaining though. It was a decision made. But i'm just saying...

I support the return of Unreal 1 content in NaliCity. :B Not to be mistaken but a lot of modern Unreal 1 maps these days can look as good as that of UT~ and I'm in for the singleplayer content the return of U1 content here could promise- it'll join the "exiled" part of the community if I could say that. :p