Does anyone care about Nali City anymore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smoke Screen

Jun 28, 2008
Me thinks how this site slowly regresses,slowly dies - well it hurts.
Im not a active member. Im just a player. And as such this site always
was very important,because of the new maps published here and the
competent reviews.
I realy dont understand why it seems impossible to overcome this technical
problems. I mean other sites make it work again in hours,maybe days.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Other sites get paid to do so. We do it pro bono.

The fact of the matter is that the old NaliCity 3 code is not workable on our current server. It has been running on our old server for years for precisely that reason. So now we have the daunting task of a complete rewrite looming over us, and that is going to take time no matter who does it.

We will probably launch the new site in phases, so keep your eyes open for the first phase to launch sometime in the near future.

I'm willing to wait the time as long as the return of NC is assured... and hopefully, with some support for U1 content. (Yeah, yeah, it's been talked about to death but it would be strange NOT to host U1 content but still have support for the now-more-dead U2.)

hwkwnd99

Oct 15, 2004
well, if you need any help, let me know. can't code , so that's out, but i'll do what i can.
hey Fordy, long time .

[did]madis

Apr 22, 2008
If I would be a better coder, hell, I'd neglect my day job to bring NC back. I just recently started mapping for the old UT and I AM hooked, all I need now is a good community where to submit my maps, get constructive criticism and improve myself.

rorknc

Jul 30, 2008
The fact of the matter is that the old NaliCity 3 code is not workable on our current server.

Is that only because you can't compile the module you speak of? or are there other issues too? There could be a couple of people around with older gcc version which might compile the script. I have access to a gcc 3.2 install, if you're interested I could ask whether I can use it to compile the module. Otherwise I could ask around a bit for maybe even older versions.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Is that only because you can't compile the module you speak of? or are there other issues too? There could be a couple of people around with older gcc version which might compile the script. I have access to a gcc 3.2 install, if you're interested I could ask whether I can use it to compile the module. Otherwise I could ask around a bit for maybe even older versions.

Well, the module is a PHP module that was originally built for PHP3 (I think). It's completely incompatible with PHP5.

Additionally, the PHP code for NC3 is incompatible with PHP5 in many ways. It is also a nightmare to maintain as it is written with many PHP3/4 era design patterns in mind that are pretty terrible.

rorknc

Jul 30, 2008
I can see why you have to rebuild it then.

I'd like to offer my help but unfortunately my PHP skills are pretty low: just a couple of changes to existing portal software and some "grab from mysql and echo" stuff. However I do know a thing or two about HTML/CSS and perl (see my website) but I learned it all by myself so my style may be hidious anyway.

If you think you can use my help please let me know.

Last edited:

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
cant we like.. hold a garagesale among the forumers and get some cash together for someone that can help?

but then again.. i dont think the ut scene will be like it was around the ut and beginning ut2k4 period.

ruckmonster

Aug 10, 2008
Other sites get paid to do so. We do it pro bono.

Well maybe Nalicity has other problems that go beyond technical. Maybe you just need a better business model.

Free information on the internet is a dying concept, and it's pretty obvious that if you want something good, you're going to have to pay for it. What if you relaunched the website with basic services for everyone, but left certain functions to paid members. For instance, along with the MoTM, and Hotlist, you could have an area on the front page where authors could pay a minimal fee to keep their map viewable on the main page. For those users who just come here to download, maybe limit their number of downloads per day or leave advanced search functions unavailable unless they become registered, paid members.

I'm not saying restrict any of the content, because I believe that authors who publish their maps here come here to do just that. They want everyone to enjoy what they have created and in no way am I encouraging the site to block that. However, adding perks for a small fee might offset some of the costs of maintenance. I'm not suggesting that the site administrators should get rich (and I expect the reviewers to still be unpaid volunteers), but some income is better than no income, and there WILL always be people more than happy to shell out money for something they love. And I know alot of people absolutely love what Nalicity did for the UT community.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I can see the logic in last post, but i don't support the notion. Like, i completely understand what you're saying, but i still wouldn't want to pay. lol

So anyways, i was just wondering: If nali city DOES get reborn as NCIV, will all the old content still be available? Like, I assume it's all sitting on one of BU's servers right now. If NC4 was set up, would you be starting totally fresh? I hope not. I've got a list of maps I want to download and the only place i can find them seems to be NC. But all the links to NC redirect here! :lol:

To put it simply: Will all the old content (reviews, maps, comments) still be available if/when nalicity is re-established?

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
First post in the NaliCity forums! \o/

Anyway, NaliCity 4 *is* in production, but very slow progress atm. I've viewed the site, and it looks really well designed. However, even though that I would love to give out the link and/or describe it to you, I don't think Sir_Brizz and Hourences would like that. :(

But yeah, it looks really cool, and sports the v2.0.4A of my RoninFX Unreal_GoW Readme Template as the default readme template instead fog the old one from v3. Besides, my version is alot easier, cleaner, and more detail has been put into it. :)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
When NC4 first launches, it might not. But we will support the old data at some point.

Also, all the old maps and stuff are still available from:

http://download.beyondunreal.com/browse.php?cat=7

cheers! :tup:

Anyway, NaliCity 4 *is* in production, but very slow progress atm. I've viewed the site, and it looks really well designed. However, even though that I would love to give out the link and/or describe it to you, I don't think Sir_Brizz and Hourences would like that.
damn! Oh well.... I like a suprise. No need for me to spoiler things by looking at a prototype
EDIT: Actually, that quote arouses one more question.
You say you have "viewed the site"...... Do you mean the design of the site? (As in a photoshop mockup screen or a prototype). Or do you mean the site itself? The fact that you talk about links makes me assume the latter. I suppose it is still "under production" either way. If it were finished then the only thing left to do would be establish links to the BU Database. meh

Last edited:

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
First post in the NaliCity forums! \o/

Anyway, NaliCity 4 *is* in production, but very slow progress atm. I've viewed the site, and it looks really well designed. However, even though that I would love to give out the link and/or describe it to you, I don't think Sir_Brizz and Hourences would like that. :(

But yeah, it looks really cool, and sports the v2.0.4A of my RoninFX Unreal_GoW Readme Template as the default readme template instead fog the old one from v3. Besides, my version is alot easier, cleaner, and more detail has been put into it. :)

Someone take quickly the LSD and coke away from this guy before he kills himself with an overdose!