Does anyone care about Nali City anymore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Other sites get paid to do so. We do it pro bono.

Well maybe Nalicity has other problems that go beyond technical. Maybe you just need a better business model.

Free information on the internet is a dying concept, and it's pretty obvious that if you want something good, you're going to have to pay for it. What if you relaunched the website with basic services for everyone, but left certain functions to paid members. For instance, along with the MoTM, and Hotlist, you could have an area on the front page where authors could pay a minimal fee to keep their map viewable on the main page. For those users who just come here to download, maybe limit their number of downloads per day or leave advanced search functions unavailable unless they become registered, paid members.

I'm not saying restrict any of the content, because I believe that authors who publish their maps here come here to do just that. They want everyone to enjoy what they have created and in no way am I encouraging the site to block that. However, adding perks for a small fee might offset some of the costs of maintenance. I'm not suggesting that the site administrators should get rich (and I expect the reviewers to still be unpaid volunteers), but some income is better than no income, and there WILL always be people more than happy to shell out money for something they love. And I know alot of people absolutely love what Nalicity did for the UT community.

IMO free stuff is actually super popular these days, and people expect everything to be free online, more than ever. The huge rise in open source software is an example of that.

The whole point of a community is that it is a free, and easily accessible by everyone.

Look at Fileplanet and similar. They want me to pay so I can download a free file faster. Am I going to pay then? Hell no, I just look for another download location that is fast AND free.

We would only lose members like that.

Revord

Jun 20, 2008
I have to agree with Hourences. I dont ever pay for anything online, unless its newegg or something like that. I would look, but not touch if I had to start paying for content.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
IF we charged for anything (and we most likely would never do something like that) it would be for enhanced map author features. They would have to be really cool before we did something like that though.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
why not then some donation like we do on UP ? not obligatory to donate each months , just give some bucks from time to time when youre set for it ...

Revord

Jun 20, 2008
Thats not a bad idea. Just have something on the front page to make sure its visible, and give folks a place to put some money when they got some extra scratch lying around

airmoron

Jan 22, 2008
Why not just fix the damn site, man how long has this been going on.
Start over

The reason we don't pay is because the users-mappers are the soul reason for it's existence.Without the mappers uploading, you have no reason to run banners, I think UT and NC are almost done.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Why not just fix the damn site, man how long has this been going on.
Start over

The reason we don't pay is because the users-mappers are the soul reason for it's existence.Without the mappers uploading, you have no reason to run banners, I think UT and NC are almost done.

Red_Fist?

EBTC

Jun 23, 2008
sad to see NC being down so long, hope u guys can bring the beat back.

Sidenote: why can't sites like UP, NC, L4Y and such merge? One main site to rule em all, so to speak.

Last edited:

NonoX

Oct 15, 2008
I am volunteering. I'm a student in computing, I know some php, and I got time. And even if the coding is above my current skills, I think I could learn what I need to get better and do it. Besides, as a NC fan, I would really like to help in any way I can.
If it is really too hard for me, at least I would have tried.

PM me if you're interested :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You can be assured we still care bout the site, that is not what is going on at all.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Yea.
Reanimating a dead corpse isn't as easy as it once was.
Sure BU did it once, but it took alot of damage when it died last and a lump of burnt primordial ooze isn't much to work with.