UT3.5 or UT4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
I love UT3. IMHO it is a much better game than UT99 (more mature re: development) or UT2004 (too floaty/arcadey), and not just for the pretty graphics. Sure, it has a few quirks and needs a few tweaks, but to this day UT2004 UnrealEd3 has the viewport bug, crashes on various asset import, etc. As long as some people keep playing the game on PCs and consoles I'll keep creating maps for it.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
I agree, UT3 is a great game. I do miss things from the original tournament but its much more fun than 2004 (IMO). I think as long as they keep patching it with useful things and release some good maps from time to time, this game can last a while, even if averaging at 700 or so players. I just hope the official maps will still have a place online months if not weeks from now. I was playing just today and had a hard time finding official map servers. I'm all for custom content but I mostly play the official maps so please, keep those servers up :)

siRtobey

Jan 31, 2008
That's right guys, the menu sucks, and the gameplay was developed for PS3, but IMO that doesn't mean, gameplay sucks, right?

Anyway, as there was one statement on the first page, if you want to bring UT back in business, you'd have to do something like Quake Live. We have to face the fact, that real FPS-Games like UT (not like semi-semi realistic CS :rolleyes: ) are inpopular. I see people on lan-parties in Switzerland (note, that Switzerland has a reeeeeeaaaally small UT comm, infact, there isn't even a comm. site) playing UT against bots, no dodging or anything like it. Only rocket launcher and sniper rifle, maybe flak and primary shock.
Compared to CS, it's much more complex. So, the step to what makes a good player is much bigger than in CS or anything like it.

So, I'd prefer UT Online, UT Live or whatever. To get back in business, it would be ideal, if the multiplayer part would be free. To earn money: Ingame advertisment and a REAL singeplayer, for example Unreal 3, at a normal prise.
THAT'D definitly get the players back on the servers and out of the forums.

BTW I'm sorry to digg up this "old" topic

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Lot of tl;dr

Some of this has been touched on, but it bears repeating.

epic already stated (for the most part) they will be doing ut4 for consoles only

This is why Epic doesn't communicate with the community.

"Geared towards" does not equal "Exclusively for."

And what if they happen to need to tweak a setting mid game? hm?

Console Command, or it's not allowed.

Probably less than 1 percent of the population have a computer powerful enough to run most modern pc games anyway. COD4 and especially Bioshock have requirements similar to UT3, and neither of those games bombed.

Why do you keep pushing this point? Does UT3 run like crap on your computer or something?

Not sure about COD4, but I'm fairly confident those other two games (bio shock, nad crysis) don't thrive off of competitive community like this one does. Competitive gamers understand the value of frames, and that makes it's effect on this game different.

Oh, forgot all about Unreal Anthology. Yeah that wouldn't work as a retail release. I just think that some of EPIC's old games could be re-released with a facelift using new tech (UE3) and do really well via steam or whatever.

This idea leads in terrible. Re-release UT3, and maybe UT2gay4 on UE2.5, minus all the graphical frills, then you might have something. UT3 has the best balance and game play to date, of all the franchise IMO. The biggest problem is running it smooth.

[OnTopic]UT 3.5. Same engine, big bonus pack style updates. Maybe added scalability. Hopefully by then, 2% of the population can run it.[/OnTopic]

I would define consolized for you, but I can't find it on m-w.com.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
still? Really? Godsakes ... here, quoted straight from the official unabridged imaginary game forum driveler's pocket dictionary:
consolize, consolify: verb – to necessarily exclude or strip from a PC-based version of a game features whose implementation would be difficult or unwieldy on consoles, but easily facilitated on the PC.
Better? :rolleyes:

I can't believe for a second that anyone here has been unable to comprehend what is meant by these coined terms. Yes, they are indeed frequently misused and thrown around haphazardly, but these words are not at all just utterly meaningless, as some people claim.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Heeeyy, this thread is back :)

Anyway, while I still doubt we will see an official UT3.5, based on the recent interviews, it seems like there is more "unreal" things to come and projects being worked on, whatever they may be. So I'm staying very optimistic about the possibility of new characters, more maps, new UI and maybe even a single player extension of some sort :D On a side note, I finally went widescreen (Samsung 2253BW) and UT3 never looked better!

Oh and ofcourse there is that 1.3 patch :D CAN'T WAIT! Things are looking up for unreal IMO!

Last edited:

JEnepas

Feb 5, 2008
UT3 has the best balance and game play to date, of all the franchise IMO. The biggest problem is running it smooth

I agree with this, it's like everything but the core game(play and maps) was messed up:demo,launch,UI, Gamespy....

Another point, everyone agrees we do need more Epic produced Maps as I'm getting bored of the stock War maps (even with the new node link variations) , plus patches as there are quite a few events that cause sudden dramatic frame rate drops and/ or weird lag spikes, the game still feels, even after 1.2, rough and unoptimized.

I agree with this, it's like everything but the core game(play and maps) was messed up:demo,launch,UI, Gamespy....

Another point, everyone agrees we do need more Epic produced Maps as I'm getting bored of the stock War maps (even with the new node link variations) , plus patches as there are quite a few events that cause sudden dramatic frame rate drops and/ or weird lag spikes, the game still feels, even after 1.2, rough and unoptimized.

I see you have no stock in the modding community then

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
If Epic were to really do it right, I would love for them to keep making UT games until the day I die. The problem is that I don't know if Epic's financial philosophy will allow them to make another UT that's actually good rather than just good enough. By good enough I mean a game that excels at certain things but is mediocre overall and suffers from a lack of polish (like UT3). And by polish I mean, among other things, the platform-specific attention that each version of the game should get. For example, many people I know from other games complained about the pisspoor audio in UT3. Not only can the hardware OpenAL setting cause crashes but it seems like the positional audio has been severely gimped. Console players probably won't notice, but diehard fans of the series who have been playing it for years will certainly notice. Whether or not they'll care is another question. Another more subtle nuance of the game that most people won't care about is the netcode. My background is mostly in the Quake series (esp. Q3 CPMA) which is renowned for its smooth, precise netcode. UT3 on the other hand feels choppy and inaccurate. Similar to what I was saying above, Epic made the UT3 netcode just good enough for most people rather than actually good, and it shows. I don't care if it uses 1kb of bandwidth per year if it's not accurate/smooth. I haven't come across someone using dialup to play online in ages... isn't it about time to bring the netcode into the 21st century and sacrifice some bandwidth usage for the sake of improvements?

Another obstacle for Epic is that their games tend to have a lot of focus on demonstrating their own engine technology rather than the game itself. The lack of multiplayer features (UTV, demorecording support, even webadmin wasn't released until months later) shows where Epic's priorities are. If they want to compete with the most popular multiplayer games, they have to support that aspect of the game. This is why I could never see Epic releasing something analogous to Quake Live using UE2 for example - it doesn't help sell engine licenses.

Jeff Morris once said that half of the people playing UT never go online, but I don't think the solution to that is to improve the single player. If you improve the multiplayer component, people will be drawn to it and will probably play the game more than if they only play offline. Online play is just more fun and dynamic, and who knows - they might join clans or start playing with their friends online. As for dealing with "e-jerks", incorporate this concept into the multiplayer features! Add things like individual chat/voice blocking, kickvote (I don't know why this wasn't in UT3), and maybe some sort of lobby where you can meet and set up a duel. The possibilities here truly are endless. When in doubt, look at how much TF2 and CoD4 are doing to enhance the multiplayer experience.

Another area that can't be half-assed is the single player campaign. Either do it right or don't do it at all. The UT3 single player campaign was pretty laughable. Epic admitted that the writing and stuff needed a lot of work, but this goes back to my original point - why release something if you know it has problems? That philosophy needs to change.

I guess my point is that the philosophy demonstrated in this interview is completely wrong. Valve and Blizzard completely contradict that philosophy and have immensely more successful games because of it. If Epic's focus with the next UT is to keep development costs at a bare minimum, there's no way they can release something that will be a true successor in the series. Period.

At this point I think Epic either needs to do it right or let the series die. People aren't going to keep buying UT if Epic doesn't learn from their mistakes.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
If Epic were to really do it right, I would love for them to keep making UT games until the day I die. The problem is that I don't know if Epic's financial philosophy will allow them to make another UT that's actually good rather than just good enough. By good enough I mean a game that excels at certain things but is mediocre overall and suffers from a lack of polish (like UT3). And by polish I mean, among other things, the platform-specific attention that each version of the game should get. For example, many people I know from other games complained about the pisspoor audio in UT3. Not only can the hardware OpenAL setting cause crashes but it seems like the positional audio has been severely gimped. Console players probably won't notice, but diehard fans of the series who have been playing it for years will certainly notice. Whether or not they'll care is another question. Another more subtle nuance of the game that most people won't care about is the netcode. My background is mostly in the Quake series (esp. Q3 CPMA) which is renowned for its smooth, precise netcode. UT3 on the other hand feels choppy and inaccurate. Similar to what I was saying above, Epic made the UT3 netcode just good enough for most people rather than actually good, and it shows. I don't care if it uses 1kb of bandwidth per year if it's not accurate/smooth. I haven't come across someone using dialup to play online in ages... isn't it about time to bring the netcode into the 21st century and sacrifice some bandwidth usage for the sake of improvements?

Another obstacle for Epic is that their games tend to have a lot of focus on demonstrating their own engine technology rather than the game itself. The lack of multiplayer features (UTV, demorecording support, even webadmin wasn't released until months later) shows where Epic's priorities are. If they want to compete with the most popular multiplayer games, they have to support that aspect of the game. This is why I could never see Epic releasing something analogous to Quake Live using UE2 for example - it doesn't help sell engine licenses.

Jeff Morris once said that half of the people playing UT never go online, but I don't think the solution to that is to improve the single player. If you improve the multiplayer component, people will be drawn to it and will probably play the game more than if they only play offline. Online play is just more fun and dynamic, and who knows - they might join clans or start playing with their friends online. As for dealing with "e-jerks", incorporate this concept into the multiplayer features! Add things like individual chat/voice blocking, kickvote (I don't know why this wasn't in UT3), and maybe some sort of lobby where you can meet and set up a duel. The possibilities here truly are endless. When in doubt, look at how much TF2 and CoD4 are doing to enhance the multiplayer experience.

Another area that can't be half-assed is the single player campaign. Either do it right or don't do it at all. The UT3 single player campaign was pretty laughable. Epic admitted that the writing and stuff needed a lot of work, but this goes back to my original point - why release something if you know it has problems? That philosophy needs to change.

I guess my point is that the philosophy demonstrated in this interview is completely wrong. Valve and Blizzard completely contradict that philosophy and have immensely more successful games because of it. If Epic's focus with the next UT is to keep development costs at a bare minimum, there's no way they can release something that will be a true successor in the series. Period.

At this point I think Epic either needs to do it right or let the series die. People aren't going to keep buying UT if Epic doesn't learn from their mistakes.

+1 to this whole thing, I have been saying it for ever. the game is just not what it use to be. Yes ut3 is fun, and yes, it took a step forward is some aspects, but in most aspects, ut3 took a giant step back. which goes from the shoddy UI, to the daily gamespy crap, to the very little customizable features, to the no online features, i mean there is a lot of stuff that is either missing or fubared in this version of ut.

Seriously what is wrong with the netcode? I can literally ping the SAME EXACT game host, at the SAME EXACT LOCATION in 2k4 where i might get a 45 ping, i will get a 100+ ping in ut3. it makes no sense at all, why the hell does it go from 45 in 2k4 to 100+ in ut3, pining the same hosting company, at the same location, just a different game.

idk, there are just more things in ut3 that irritate me, than there are things that make me go "wow, thats cool"...

and its why i truly believe there needs to be a ut3.5 or ut4 to address at least most if not all of these issues. then maybe add a game type or 2, and maybe another vehicle or 2 and make a big press release out of it like its a whole new game, and draw more people in to the unreal game. (just like they did with 2k4)

Last edited:

[PSI]Snow White

Jan 30, 2008
I love the game.. The only problem our sniper server has is the package error bug :( When bug is fixed in the next patch, Bye Bye too UT2004.

Last edited: