1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3.5 or UT4?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Wunderbar_007, Mar 28, 2008.

1. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

like I said, fossil fuels

2. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Touche, sir.

3. Bishop F Gantry

Bishop F Gantry New Member

face it Epic cant sell the UT franchise on eyecandy and multi alone. They have to make the game intresting for more than a handful of hardcore gamers...

4. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Again, if you're playing UT primarily for the story, you're playing it for the wrong reasons. UT has ALWAYS been a multiplayer-oriented game, and the story mode has always basically just been glorified botmatches. I've played them all. I know.

If you're looking for a more Story-driven FPS, you need games like the original Unreal, Unreal II, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, etc. UT was, and always will be, focused basically on the multiplayer aspect of the games, so any story it has will likely be very simple. It's a very rare game that can pull off both a good singleplayer story and a good multiplayer balance all in one; I can count how many FPS games in the last 15 years that have done that on one hand.

5. Anuban

Anuban Your reward is that you are still alive

UT has also ALWAYS been a game directed towards gamers that DO NOT want to play online hence the "best in the biz" bots and the improvements in their AI over the years. More than 40% of players never play online and probably another 20% only occasionally play online and Epic has always been keenly aware of this. That is why the lack of so many IA options (correctly done as well such as setting up teams correctly ... how they screwed up the team management UI I will NEVER understand) have really upset a great many of Epic's fanbase ... many of us count on all those great bot settings and now they are gone or severely crippled.

Also a lot of us really liked the Tournament "story" the game has been famous for the three previous releases and also the really well done SP campaign of UC2. Why they didn't use that model and further enhance the story will be another thing I will never understand. Playing the campaign mode in UC2 was actually fun, entertaining and fulfilling. The only thing I like about the campaign in UT3 are the cut scenes. Not being able to choose your own team really hurts a game that has such lousy combatants (Othello, Bishop).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I don't mind so much the storytelling they want to do. I just don't understand why they couldn't use the same formula as UC2 and have both the story and the tournament.

7. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Oh yeah, they definetly should have continues the tournament story ala UC2.

I think the story that happened in UT3 could have been covered best in a seperate Assault-style gametype, like a kinda prelude to the events of the tournament.

It would have made so much more sense than a FlaGs, Orbs and the random DMs.

8. Sijik

Sijik Snagged an item.

If people had supported Uc2 instead of yelling about the melee, it might have done better and had a better impact on the series.

I find it funny that the same place that repeated that gameplay was the most important thing was suddenly utterly obsessed with a UI, though it probably was just a scapegoat for any and all b***ing people wanted to do.

I hope they stay consistent in their gameplay and visual style from here on out, as making the next title even more different will only perpetuate the problems they keep having, but I don't want them to do another 2k4 apology game.
    I want them to stick with this one, so that between patches, bonus packs and user mods (there're at least two UI revamp mods in the works, three if Map Mixer is still coming) they can prove their marathon theory.
    If they just make another apology game, people may come to expect that and never buy the first in a new series.
    All this over-sensitive crap about being lied to... Sheesh, every game always has a lot more suggested during the lead-up than ends up shipping; deal with it. Think you'd be smart enough not to buy into hype by now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  9. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

I don't like to say so, but I seriously doubt Epic is going to do another UT.

That would be a terrible pity but probably very likely. Both UC2 and UT3 have pretty much bombed (except UT3 is doing okayish on PS3)

I can't forsee a sequel unless this game does fantastically well on X360. That could be a bad thing in itself as it would mean that any sequels would be console focused.

10. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

EPIC is making another UT no matter what. it was part of the contract with midway.

11. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

UT is in their blood, Mark Rein said it! lollll

I'm going for the UT4 or 2009 whatever.
    With everything we saw from GoW2 it will be awesome. It's pretty much everything left we could need to make great interactive maps.

And... more customization please inte the User-Interface <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

12. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

hyru + haarg?

13. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

Unreal Tournament III v1.3 will be the latest patch. Unreal Tournament III v1.9 or maybe Unreal Tournament III v2.0 will probably contain some mayor improvements and gametypes. There will probably be an Editor's Choice edition later on with lots of stuff, replacing the original Unreal Tournament III box with an Unreal Tournament III Editor's Choice Edition box. All extra material also downloadable for free.

The world was not ready for UT3, so there probably won't be an UT4 this decade. No need for UE4 when there ain't a critical mass for UE3.

14. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

lollllllllll wtf hahaa :lol:

High+Rage?

15. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

Haarg is full of rage.

16. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

He sure is.

17. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

He's named after the sound he makes when raging.

18. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

:lol: what would make laugh at loud an army while facing it

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008