1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3.5 or UT4?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Wunderbar_007, Mar 28, 2008.

1. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Yeah, that's clearly obvious from politics, recent "wars", blind belief in "climate change", etc.

2. Draco73

Draco73 New Member

this is actually very accurate, for a good year before the game was released i had saw and read over a hundred interviews, or videos, not to mention posts made by epic employees in which they continued to tell us of a game that was going to be the game of all games for ut.

then the second i installed the demo and launched the program, after the advertisements in the beginning and the first UT screen popped up my initial reaction was "WTF is this" no joke, no exaggeration. i just could not get over the fact that the menu was so piss poor on something that i was told for EVER was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. then the further i poked around in the game, the worse it got, and the more things i found within the game that are just absurd and never should have been the way they are with a truly polished game.

so yes, in the end i did feel ripped off, i did feel like a blanket was pulled over my eyes, and i personally know MANY MANY people who feel the same exact way, not to mention all of the people you always see upset.

3. elmuerte

that didn't stop people from buying and playing Fable, or various other games that don't live up to the PR and the expectations the they produce

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Draco, where the heck were you during the media drought that took place for almost all of 2006 and a large portion of 2007?

5. Draco73

Draco73 New Member

playing ut2k4 ;)

6. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

/me hits the snooze button

10 more minuts

7. elmuerte

in before the lock(?)

8. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

/me hits the snooze button again

*mumble mumble mumble mumble*
    5 more minuts

ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZ

9. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

The gameplay is pretty polished IMO.

I didn't really have expectations for the GUI. Dunno why that was such a big deal to so many people...

10. Molgan

Molgan T-minus whenever

I think the GUI became sort of a focal point for all the disappointments and messups people experienced. So when people said "the gui sux" they didn't just mean that it was made to be viewed on a TV-screen and had a retarded work flow. They included the lack of settings, bad performance, lack of features, gamespy, stupid design decisions like capped fov, locked view in vehicles and no clientside demo support, no good custom cross hairs, no force model, that they let some newbie do the character animations, stupid taunts, that they fuxed up the vehicular game types and turned everyone into grunting fat blobs etc etc etc. If the GUI had been the only problem it wouldn't have been such a big problem in the end.

11. Sir_Brizz

I don't know that I agree with that, since it is specifically the UI that is brought up so often.

The vehicle gametype issue is entirely relative. I find vehicles and their gametypes much more entertaining in UT3 than I ever found them in 2k4. I've said it a million times, but it basically comes down to that in UT2004, being in a vehicle was often MORE of a liability than being on foot. That's pretty silly.

The things you mention that have some relation to the UI, though, are absolutely correct. The inclusion of Gamespy, the lack of many options, and the failure of Instant Action to save your settings between gaming sessions are pretty disappointing things that you would expect to have been caught and polished along the way.

12. Molgan

Molgan T-minus whenever

Yeah, but what I meant was that the UI got more flame then it deserved since people combined all their complaints, also the ones not directly related to the ui, in a big "the ui sux", kind of like when I yell at the referee in a football game when the real reason for my frustration is that my team sux, the hot dogs are too expensive and the bench I'm sitting on is giving me splinters. =)

13. Sir_Brizz

Okay, I'll give you that that is probably true.

14. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

The problem with the term "UI" is that it is so all incompassing, everything from the smallest and most unimportant button in an obscure and seldom used menu, to the entire server browser is covered by the term "UI", thats quite a spectrum to spand..

Sadly though, we can find flaws all across that spectrum, so it's no wonder that it comes up as often as it does.

15. Bishop F Gantry

Bishop F Gantry New Member

Will they fix SP aswell, that placeholder they call SP is seriosly lacking right now...

16. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

The really funny thing is, I kind of like what they did with the options. You can still edit everything in the ini manually, to tweak all the individual settings, but they gave you the slide bar to automate it, and basically prioritized the settings for you in degree of fps intensiveness. Then put the stuff that is the most CPU and RAM intense on different sliders, and voila, it's pretty easy to get up and going with as good of details as you can get at tolerable frames.

The problems is we're too used to having to tweak and try, we expect the rewards from research and configuring like we had before.

The server browser is the only thing that really effects use noticeably IMO, and it is still functional enough you can get where you need to go.

17. Sir_Brizz

And the instant action stuff... but I digress :)

18. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

If you're playing UT3 for the story, you're clearly playing the wrong game sir. ;)

I almost never play the offline modes, so this don't bother me too much, but not saving IA settings is a bummer.

19. elmuerte

There are better things to save... like fossil fuels

20. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

And the whales.