UWindow2 Development Blog

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
i knew you wouldn't finish this project. you fail noob.
Thanks dude. I really needed to know that. If you can do better, please continue on with this project. If you have no skills in being able to do the above, then your one to comment on who the noob is. I have to make a living, and doing UWindow2 isn't going to help with that.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
i knew you wouldn't finish this project. you fail noob.

I don't know if you have some joke here but three of your last posts have ended with "you fail." If you keep that attitude up, you won't find many friends on BU. BU is a place for people to make jokes, help each other out, and show current work. If you can't deal with those, than this place is not for you.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
[SAS]Solid Snake;2110212 said:
Thanks dude. I really needed to know that. If you can do better, please continue on with this project. If you have no skills in being able to do the above, then your one to comment on who the noob is. I have to make a living, and doing UWindow2 isn't going to help with that.

Epic is hiring a GUI Designer so you have no excuse. So you COULD make this your living :).

I would apply myself if I live in NC and if it was more of a leadership role. But then again, I would probably be the only GUI designer their so I could just lead myself lol!

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
os][ris;2110492 said:
Epic is hiring a GUI Designer so you have no excuse. So you COULD make this your living :).

I would apply myself if I live in NC and if it was more of a leadership role. But then again, I would probably be the only GUI designer their so I could just lead myself lol!
Problem is... He lives in Australia, which is pretty much literally half the world away. :p

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Woot! Update!

I've thrown my hat into Make Something Unreal Contest. I know this is going to sound selfish, but the fact that I may win a prize is enough incentive for me to keep going on with this project as it is now actually viable for my game development studio. It's selfish, I know, and I know I should do this for the love of the community ... but, asking for donations is borderline illegal and breaching the EULA, and super markets don't like IOU's or I LUV U tokens. Anyways, heres an update on uWindow2.

attachment.php

I realize that this may seem like a backwards step, but in fact it is a totally different route. The above UI is generated from a config with the following data

Code:
[canvas UW_StyleSheet]
Ln=background-image:UWindowResource.Background.Background_A
Ln=background-coordinates:0,0,1024,768

[window UW_StyleSheet]
Ln=background-image:UWindowResource.Texture.WindowFrame
Ln=background-style:stretched

[window UW_Container]
StyleSheetNames=window

[canvas UW_Container]
StyleSheetNames=canvas

I added a console command which allows me to add containers called 'window'. When the container is created, it will load up the style sheet called 'window' as well. This produces the square window you see in the middle of the screen. The background is controlled by canvas, and that is hard coded.

The other features of this system is that it allows individual, seperate theme config files. To cut it short, this means customizable theme switching on the fly, with no requirements to override your existing theme set!

The customization abilities will also allow for a non window interface, so you could skin uWindow2 to be more like UT2004, or UT2003, or UT99 or whatever else that floats your boat.

Secondly, the previous version used a coordinate system which is pretty heavy going, and requires a lot more code than necessary. The new system uses a container system. This means, you just put all of your widgets into a container, assign it an alignment style and uWindow2 will do the rest. You can add containers within containers to have different alignment styles. In short, it acts a lot like xHTML in this regard, where you use divs within divs to achieve a particular look. Pair this with the style sheet system, and you've got a very flexible UI.

Attachments

• UWindow2.jpg
    UWindow2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 555

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
The other features of this system is that it allows individual, seperate theme config files. To cut it short, this means customizable theme switching on the fly, with no requirements to override your existing theme set!

The customization abilities will also allow for a non window interface, so you could skin uWindow2 to be more like UT2004, or UT2003, or UT99 or whatever else that floats your boat.

Holy crap! :eek: That is some great work Snake! Dont feel bad about going for the money though, just make sure you do an effing good job ;)

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
I can't see anything selfish in not wanting to work dozens (hundreds?) of hours for free...

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Wow, man! Very nice work! I like how you seem to be making it nice for people to actually use :tup: Well played!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
One question for ya Snake. Seeing how Brizz's little "fix" to the UI map background uses a static image, and that static iomage removes the map background for player customization, will this UI do the same thing? Or, will we still have the map for player customization? Sorry to ask if it's already been answered.