UWindow2 Development Blog

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I registered here just to ask this simple question. Will all your work be overwritten if the consumer decides to patch their copy of UT3?
I doubt it- You'd need to change some INI settings to make an alternate menu work, and patches generally dont mess with your INIs unless they add new settings (but they wont delete anything that's already there)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I doubt it- You'd need to change some INI settings to make an alternate menu work, and patches generally dont mess with your INIs unless they add new settings (but they wont delete anything that's already there)
No. SirTahngarth is right. I had to alter my INI files to get my own menu to boot first.

Ever find a workaround for UT3 being unable to draw 3d objects in the menu?
Not there yet. I am still thinking exactly how to draw the entire UI onto the screen. Once you actually think about it, you'll realize what a hard task it is!

What's that thing panning around in the background on the main menu? looks 3D to me.
That is one of the major complaints of the menu. Its basically a large level which hogs resources and takes time to load.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah. The crux of the issue there is that it takes time to load a level period. Doesn't matter what size it is. However, the performance inside the menu is multitudes better than with the stock map.

As far as the character selection area, who cares. That part is one of the reasons it loads so terribly slow.

Masakari

Jan 22, 2008
I actually care about the selection area, because i want to turn it into a Mechlab type of thing, like in the MechWarrior and Armored Core series. Of course, that's just me. In fact, it's the part of the interface i'm most interested in at the moment.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
[SAS]Solid Snake;2106322 said:
Sorry guys, I really have not had any time to focus on this. I am considering just releasing the code that I have now, so that someone else may be able to continue where I have left off.

That comment really makes me wish there was a SourceForge for UT mods where other people can help work on it instead of one person doing it on their own...

(I'll have to make a thread about that someday)

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
That comment really makes me wish there was a SourceForge for UT mods where other people can help work on it instead of one person doing it on their own...

(I'll have to make a thread about that someday)

Why make a new sourceforge when sourceforge already exists?

Create an account then register a project, pretty simple. I know Ive seen some half life type stuff on there.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Yeah. The crux of the issue there is that it takes time to load a level period. Doesn't matter what size it is. However, the performance inside the menu is multitudes better than with the stock map.

As far as the character selection area, who cares. That part is one of the reasons it loads so terribly slow.

Actually it doesnt load that stuff until you visit those screens, as far as I can tell. Least that's what the loading time for the character edit screens tell me.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Actually it doesnt load that stuff until you visit those screens, as far as I can tell. Least that's what the loading time for the character edit screens tell me.

I don't know why there is loading time there. Probably to stream in the character model, because it is incorrect that those are loaded at visit time. Trust me, I've talked to Jim Brown about that.