It's Official (as if we didn't know)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
while UT3 is stuck with the less skilled more Rookie like Employees
That's a pretty rude thing to say, really. Mysterial is working on UT3, he was on the UT2004 team. Dave Ewing is working on UT3, he was on the Digital Extremes UT team as well as Bastiaan Frank. Steve Polge is working on UT3, he wrote the AI for Unreal. There are lots of really talented people working on UT3, it's just too bad none of them majored in interface design :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Getting old.

People complained about every interface for UT since UT'99. For some reason people want that crappy uwindow stuff back. Yes, the UT'99 uwindow interface is quite bad.
I think I unintentionally wrote something I didn't mean.

I hated UWindows, I think it was an awful design and too clunky for a game interface.

I was mostly talking about the number of options available and the depth of each menu. In this way, UT2003 was the pinnacle of the UT series since it had a three clicks to anywhere approach, which is good.

As far as aesthetically, I don't mind the current UI at all.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I don't recall many complaints about the UT2K3 UI ... it was near perfect and looked sleek and just right for UT. Much better than UT2K4 even though that is miles ahead of the PC UI for UT3 and it is not the looks I am talking about ... I like the style ... I am talking about the functionality.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT2003 got complaints for looking like a console UI. And from modders because it wasn't as extendable as a person would like.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
What irks me about all of this is not the move to consoles, that does sadden me, of course, it means an end to a series on the PC i really loved, but i also know that Epic is a buisness, and they will go where the money is.

What really boils my bacon is the BS reasons they come up with to justify the move!

There is only one thing wrong with PC gaming, just one solitary cause for its decline, and that is the very simple fact that practically nobody makes PC games anymore, they are all cross platformers that get a half arsed port to the PC, and they have been ever since the Xbox and PS2 hit the market.

Where's the games like DeusEx? Systemshock2? NOLF? just take a good long hard look at what PC games where in the late 90's and early 2000, THAT is what PC gamers want! but nobody is making them anymore.

What we get instead is something like Bioshock, ok, they did really good on atmosphere, but strip away the glossy graphics, and what you'r left with is but a shadow of what was offered in the likes of SS2 or DeusEx, it is shallow and timid in comparison!

You want the PC market Epic? then stop making bad excuses, and start making PC games, its that simple, but ofcourse, you dont really want that, developing for consoles is much easier, since it is a uniformed system and there are not really any unknowns involved, or any great need for time consuming testing, and the system has obvious limits, so you can even make console gamers happy with less content than the PC gamers would demand.

Then atleast be honest about that, go ahead, tell me the truth, tell me "we can make more money faster with consoles, so that's what we'll do", atleast that i could respect, it would be honest, and us PC gamers could move on.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
I bet you like the game, otherwise you'd never post in the UT3 forum ever again. That is, unless you're a no life loser who finds his sole comfort in the palm of his hand. :p

Prove me wrong? :)

Stop being so mean :p I don't like UT3, i keep posting because I am still a big UT fan. Well, that and I got nothing better to do on the internet.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Where's the games like DeusEx? Systemshock2? NOLF?

DeusEx and System Shock where created by the same guy, i swear, that guy can **** gold. He has a couple games in development I believe, hell if i can remember his name or the games names though.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Console games reach a wider audience, this has been discussed to death. There is going to be a massively larger percentage of people who prefer the simplicity of "pop in disc, play game" to "buy new hardware, install new hardware, install game, hope you have enough hdd space, buy a new hard drive, install new hard drive, install the game again, hope you don't have some weird configuration problem, download video card drivers, game crashes, search the internet, download motherboard drivers, install motherboard drivers, game crashes, search the internet, download updated beta video card driver, install driver, play game and it finally works".

Which one would you tend to pick if you didn't have hours to devote to gaming? :p

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Console games reach a wider audience, this has been discussed to death. There is going to be a massively larger percentage of people who prefer the simplicity of "pop in disc, play game" to "buy new hardware, install new hardware, install game, hope you have enough hdd space, buy a new hard drive, install new hard drive, install the game again, hope you don't have some weird configuration problem, download video card drivers, game crashes, search the internet, download motherboard drivers, install motherboard drivers, game crashes, search the internet, download updated beta video card driver, install driver, play game and it finally works".

Which one would you tend to pick if you didn't have hours to devote to gaming? :p

Thouse are secondary issues if you are any kind of gamer, what matters are the games, and if the games i want to play are on a platform that requires me to put up with such annoyences, i'll just have to put up with them, wont i?

And i am certainly not about to settle for games that offer me less just because it is conveniant that i dont have to search for a driver every now and then.

And there's a pretty big difference between playing Ridge Racer, or playing GTR-2, or any other number of console versus PC games you care to compare.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That would only do if the PC were the ONLY platform those games were on. And I probably don't need to remind you that PC gaming never was that popular. Even back in the late 80s the NES had more players per capita than the PC, and the PC is where gaming started.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
You want the PC market Epic? then stop making bad excuses, and start making PC games, its that simple, but ofcourse, you dont really want that, developing for consoles is much easier, since it is a uniformed system and there are not really any unknowns involved, or any great need for time consuming testing, and the system has obvious limits, so you can even make console gamers happy with less content than the PC gamers would demand.

Then atleast be honest about that, go ahead, tell me the truth, tell me "we can make more money faster with consoles, so that's what we'll do", atleast that i could respect, it would be honest, and us PC gamers could move on.

When they made the Unreal Engine 3.0 that is exactly what they were saying ... we just didn't see it at the time. By leaving behind a staple of PC gaming especially for shooters with high level graphics ... FSAA working correctly with DX9 and the engine in general not really pushing the PC to the limit and all those horrible texture pop in bugs that exist in every UE3 game and also by leaving out any DX10 enhancements in their two next gen PC games (except for AA for Gears ...whoopee ... and even then why can't you folks add that same DX10 feature to UT3???? ... that was there way of saying we are going to leave the audience that has been with us through thick and thin and didn't abandon us when we screwed up. But what are we gonna do ... keep complaining. Personally I am getting tired of complaining so you know what ... as of this thread I am done complaining ... I just hope Epic does really put some effort in making UT3 right for the PC as well as the PS3 and also I hope the Xbox 360 version is awesome as I will get it if I read good things about it. In the end I love UT and probably always will as long as it exists ... even when Epic makes truly bad decisions and mistakes with the franchise. As long as there is a Malcolm I will continue to play (Afterall you guys took a chance when few would and made a black man the signature character for a major video game franchise). :D

In fact let me go back and reinstall UT3 and the patches and get back to being a fan of the series! This game and previous versions of UT still gives me lots of hours of gaming pleasure on all kinds of platforms now (UC2 on the Xbox, UT2Kx on the PC, UT3 on the PS3 and PC).

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
That would only do if the PC were the ONLY platform those games were on. And I probably don't need to remind you that PC gaming never was that popular. Even back in the late 80s the NES had more players per capita than the PC, and the PC is where gaming started.

You totally missed any point i was making.

I know full well why consoles are popular, you really dont need to lecture me, or about the history of gaming, been there, grew up with it, done it, i am not an extra speshul boy Brizz, i know this.

The point i am making is an obvious one: There is a large target audiance of PC gamers out there who neither care for The Sims or Wow, and we dont care for thease cross platform titles either, to us they are hollow and dumbed down compared to what we grew up on, and now, compounding the problem, we have matured, gotten older, and we are infact looking for even more depth than back then, certainly not less!

But we are not as big a target audience, and we never will be, we are a bit of a fringe compared to the sheer mass of console gamers, and that, coupled with many other unfortunate trends in this bizz (unfortunate for my target audience), has ment that nobody has catered to us in many years now, there has not been a single game released in years that i was actually excited about, save for a few like Stalker that failed because it was rushed out the door looong before getting compleated, and as a result also left me with nothing.

To me, to this target audience, it is pretty insulting to hear that we do not exist, that all PC gamers want is another Sims or Wow, and that poor PC sales is proof of this.. FFS! nobody has made any games i wanted to play, so how the hell could i possibly buy what does not exist!?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What I've been trying to tell you is that 250,000 people are not a "large target audience" and that seems to be the magic number of people who will play anything other than Sims/WoW type games on PC for any length of time (particularly online). If you were making a game, would you want your target audience to be 5 million or 500,000?

CoD4 is an amazing game. If PC gamers are not getting that game, they are not going to be more turned on by another game. Note that CoD4 has peak player numbers of around 20,000 on PC online (the only numbers we can really go by).

Last edited by a moderator:

suibhne

Feb 17, 2005
Note that CoD4 has peak player numbers of around 20,000 on PC online (the only numbers we can really go by).

Right now, there are over 35,000 players online in CoD4's PC version, and that's before peak hours. The peak number of players recorded is far beyond that.

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=cod4

Even GameSpy Arcade, which is woefully inadequate for CoD4 (and didn't support it at all until a month or more after release), reports 20,000 players right now...again, before peak hours.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Gamespy reads from the CoD4 master server.

Game Monitor's numbers on various games have been shown to be almost fabricated, so I wouldn't go by those.

suibhne

Feb 17, 2005
Gamespy reads from the CoD4 master server.

Game Monitor's numbers on various games have been shown to be almost fabricated, so I wouldn't go by those.

Even if that's correct, your suggestion that 20,000 is the peak player number for CoD4 PC would have to be revised. ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Right now it's after 5:00 pm Eastern, I would think this would be peak hours.

Just a cursory glance at GM's CoD4 numbers shows that they seem to be much more accurate then the UT2004 numbers. So you could be right, and I'll just concede that CoD4 may have up to 50,000 players on PC at certain times of day.

No, you think they're fabricated because you need to justify things, remember?
Yes, I proved they were fabricated by using actual data from the site that you were never able or willing to refute... But I was just justifying things.

Last edited by a moderator: