It's Official (as if we didn't know)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spank$hot_BT

Feb 11, 2008
First of all, learn something about me before actually commenting on my title...wewps, you're assuming again...that's a bad habit you know ;)

I was making a joke. Your knowledge of UK retail seems to be a little out of date.

Yeah, right. I'm in a big town and we don't even have a Tesco. All my friends and family who live in this town don't shop there at all.

*hears the "he's assuming things" comment again*

I need a break from this thread :lol:

This is juvenile.:mad: OK, like i said before, you win. Tesco are an insignificant retailer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco You and your family don't shop there:eek: Tesco better announce a profits warning.:rolleyes:

Also,

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/p....aspx?R=810387

HAH... Link doesn't work. Tesco possibly has the worst web page I've ever seen for a huge retailer. Needless to say, if you go to their entertainment section and search for Unreal, they do indeed stock UT3, UT3 PS3 and UT3CE.

edit: fixed link.

Yes their website sucks. Like all major retailers they carry all stock online, since they probably only need to carry a minimal stock (if any) in some warehouse god knows where, if you've followed this ridiculous arguement you'll see that Tesco having some obscure online UT3 listing is not the issue. The original link was to Tesco PC Chart top 40 which UT3 has never been in, hence it has never seen the light of day in any of Tescos many stores.

So the original point was that blunders such as this have contributed to the woeful sales of this game.

If your struggling to believe me refer to Iron Monkeys post at 12:49 on this thread. He seems to know which way is up.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Oh, is that all major retailers? Rather than just disregarding my comment, you could of just asked me for a 'for instance?'. Then i would of replied >> Tesco is just one example. Y'know, Tesco, by far the largest general retailer in the UK, supposedly stocks the top 40 games in the UK for PC but UT3 has never been in any of its stores, nor as it been in the Tesco PC game top 40 >> http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/browse.aspx?N=4+4294362063+87 . Now i'm not saying Tesco is the be all and end all, but this is a massive oversight on someones part and proves that i'm not just making assumptions. Though you just did.:rolleyes: Think before you pooh pooh.;)

Ok no its not top 40 but a quick "unreal" search turns up:

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/...imary&VSI=2-GAMES&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&N=4

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=810387&bci=4|Games

And also, Most gamers don't shop at Tesco for games, they head to Gamestation and GAME because the guys there (me being one of them at GS) know a thing or two about PC gaming and are able to give advice on which games to buy and if their systems will run it or not.

It probably won't appear in Tesco's top 40 because of my statement, they even have stupid driving test things on which shows exactly what people buy from Tesco.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How would I verify a product being on ANY tesco shelves, not living in the UK? :p All I'm saying is that they do stock the game and they do sell it, which is contrary to your earlier statement (I know you were talking B&M but I sincerely doubt you can possibly know that no Tesco has EVER stocked UT3).

gammo

Feb 26, 2005
It's a bit hypocritical, that they say the future is with Consoles.

A short walk down memory lane.....

Mark Rein was quoted pleanty of times, PRE retail release of Ut3 (While the BETA was out) as saying:

"The PC market is our bread and butter, we are NOT going to forget them" (<-- That to me was a major statement, because having the Demo be so obvisouly consoled, that statement reassured me everything was going to work out, cause they are still thinking of us, so I decided to buy retail upon release)

--There was NO advertising to speak off, no hype, no nothing. (When you compare the blanket saturation of something like ubisoft's 'Assassins Creed' wich ran simultanious TV ad campaings, Radio, Web and magazine).

--They released a broken demo and then a broken, unfinished game, and within it's release, locked out the Modding community by wrapping most of the Engine code in C++. (Most likely to do with the deal they made with the devil. Microsoft)

--They have continously censored community feedback wich was borned out of the very confusion Epic propagated by all their misleading quotes and statements.

I think a lot of the ill feeling over this fiasco, is that the Ut community by and large, believed in Epic, that they are the same as us by history alone, so we thought they would deliver us what we thought we deserved, we just missed the point on the road were they turned off, and we keept going straight.

We feel cheated and lied to. But we can not justify our own conclusions at their expense, because in reality all the signs were there from the start, we just din't want to acknolige it.

It is the end of an era. It is by no means the end of PC gaming. CliffyB, your blatant self interest is of no concern to us. We can see were you're coming from a mile away. Don't piss down our backs and then tell us it's rainning.

If we really want this game to survive, then we need not complain to Epic anymore and just kindly ask them to turn it over to us, the community, by unlocking the modding capacity we need to make something of this game.

And by that Epic can go away and make all the money they want with their consoles and their narcissistic philosophies and leave us to enjoy the possibilities of this game.

Everything else is water under the bridge, nothing is going to change that wich just is.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
So... because Epic routed most of their modding capabilities to Native code it's a Microsoft conspiracy?

How about this:

They were developing 3 games in 2 years on a team half the size of the other major studios while providing tech support to a few dozen licensees under pressure from all of Microsoft, Midway, and Sony.

Isn't it *most* likely that they simply took the path of least resistance to actually appease partners in an anal timeframe?

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I love this quote:

"what’s driving the PC right now is ‘Sims’-type games and ‘WoW‘ and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface."

Had he not made that quote in the TF2 and CoD4 age, I wouldn't be laughing so hard. Take a lesson from Valve. You wanna sell PC games, advertise them, and POLISH THE EVER LIVING CRAP OUT OF THEM. Even if it takes a few hundred delays. The end product will be worth it.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Take a lesson from Valve with TF2? What's next, take a lesson from 3DRealms with Duke Nukem Forever? TF2 was in development for 8-9 years or something. It was bundled with Portal, Half Life 2 Episode 2 (and HL2+ep1).

So, Epic should work 8 years on a game that's about 1/3 of UT3, bundle it with 2 other new small games and include some old stuff?

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Take a lesson from Valve with TF2? What's next, take a lesson from 3DRealms with Duke Nukem Forever? TF2 was in development for 8-9 years or something. It was bundled with Portal, Half Life 2 Episode 2 (and HL2+ep1).

So, Epic should work 8 years on a game that's about 1/3 of UT3, bundle it with 2 other new small games and include some old stuff?

Wrong, TF2 went through many iterations that were each scrapped. It was a completely different game back when it was first announced, much more military and BF2-esque. The current cartoonish version of TF2 has NOT been in development for 8-9 years. Your argument is not valid here.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Take a lesson from Valve with TF2? What's next, take a lesson from 3DRealms with Duke Nukem Forever? TF2 was in development for 8-9 years or something.

No it wasen't, that version of TF2 died a long time ago, and for years it was not beeing developed, then they picked it up again and started all over and made something very different!

The TF2 you see today was not in development for anywhere near that period of time.

So mittens to that.

T@F

Jan 25, 2003
Visit site
Most gamers don't shop at Tesco for games, they head to Gamestation and GAME because the guys there (me being one of them at GS) know a thing or two about PC gaming and are able to give advice on which games to buy and if their systems will run it or not.

Sorry but that part made me laugh.
I asked one simple question in gamestation about gears of war on the pc and none of them could answer it :(

The question was do i have to pay to play online.(sub,to microsoft live for a fee.)
had to go online to find out about the silver and gold package.

Anyway what i`m worried about is will patch 2 be the last patch and will we get bonus packs,as it does seem epic has gone down the console road tbh.
I hope they keep supporting ut3 like they did with the other ut`s but i`m guessing we wont get that much support now :(

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
^^^ Nah dude they still have to many things to fix ... like custom gametypes getting their own UI and DX10 code for true FSAA ... as well as having mutators stay set unless you change them and also saved settings for the game rules (score, time).

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Sorry but that part made me laugh.
I asked one simple question in gamestation about gears of war on the pc and none of them could answer it :(

The question was do i have to pay to play online.(sub,to microsoft live for a fee.)
had to go online to find out about the silver and gold package.

Anyway what i`m worried about is will patch 2 be the last patch and will we get bonus packs,as it does seem epic has gone down the console road tbh.
I hope they keep supporting ut3 like they did with the other ut`s but i`m guessing we wont get that much support now :(

Going the console route won't have an effect on bonus packs, simply because there would be little difference between a bonus for PS3 and one for PC. Just like cooking maps for ps3 requires that they exist for PC first. We know that they will at least come out with one for PS3, so it is pretty much guaranteed that we will get one on PC as well.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Going the console route won't have an effect on bonus packs, simply because there would be little difference between a bonus for PS3 and one for PC. Just like cooking maps for ps3 requires that they exist for PC first. We know that they will at least come out with one for PS3, so it is pretty much guaranteed that we will get one on PC as well.

Yeah, but the question is: will the content be scaled-down to accommodate the console more? Will they bother with giving it that extra shine for the PC?

I just keep seeing seeing stuff like:

'oh, that'll be in the bonus pack'
'let's request it for a bonus pack'
'don't worry, bonus pack'

etc. etc. and I can't help but feel like a lot of people are going to end up disappointed. That's just the feeling I get, my own opinion. When I hear those 'bonus pack' buzzwords, I think of other magic words that posters on forums hyped-up to end, like 'beta,' and 'bread and butter.' This isn't a shot at anyone, it's just a point of view that I know I'm not alone on.