1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

It's Official (as if we didn't know)

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by jasposfagot, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

You once again missed the point, have i in any way postulated that there is more money in making PC games? have i even hinted at such a thing?

Its pretty bloody obvious where the money is, i could make an infant Chimp with fetal alcohol syndrome understand that making console games is more profitable than a PC game, we all know it.

Now, read what i AM saying: Epic is making the claim here that poor sales on the PC, and the popularity of games like Wow and the Sims is proof that we have lost interest in the PC shooter, and have moved to the Consoles.

That is rubbish, whilst its true that there are many more console gamers, that certainly does not mean that we have lost interest! the real reason i am not out there buying "PC" games is that they are, quite frankly, bad.
    The vast majority are console ports, games like Stalker or ARMA are not really worth playing because they are of poor quality (unfinished, full of bugs, useless AI etc etc), whilst others like Crysis are just a rehash of a game i allready played, and needs a PC that no working man could possibly afford the next 5 years..

Here's the Tl:Dr bullet points:

1) Yes i know there are more console gamers, its not the point! let it go..

2) I am not terribly fond of beeing told that i do not exist, that my target audience is a thing of myth, and that the fact that i am not buying games that are not made for my target audience in the first place is proof that i am indeed a thing of myth.

3) I am not actually a thing of myth, i do very much exist, and i am not alone in my current state of existance, and not beeing mythical, there are others like me, and they too would buy more PC games if PC games where actually any good, and made for the PC.

4) YES i bloody well know a console game would still sell better! it is still not the point!

(do note that alot of this is somewhat tongue in cheek)

And as an aside, no, i dont feel CoD4 is a good game, i know this is not a popular viewpoint, but i am the kind of guy who can only get into a "realism" style game if it is infact really realistic, CoD4 falls short of that for me, it has alot of the right elements, but just doesen't deliver that last shovel full of realism that would sway my opinion, i am strange like that.

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

That's why I was talking about the simplicity of being a console gamer earlier. Lots of people are playing shooters on consoles, which is a market that was previously untapped (the people who would play shooters if they were available on consoles). Goldeneye proved they were there.

In regards to CoD4, I just mean how polished it is.

3. Spank$hot_BT

Spank$hot_BT New Member

Oh, is that all major retailers? Rather than just disregarding my comment, you could of just asked me for a 'for instance?'. Then i would of replied >> Tesco is just one example. Y'know, Tesco, by far the largest general retailer in the UK, supposedly stocks the top 40 games in the UK for PC but UT3 has never been in any of its stores, nor as it been in the Tesco PC game top 40 >> http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/browse.aspx?N=4+4294362063+87 . Now i'm not saying Tesco is the be all and end all, but this is a massive oversight on someones part and proves that i'm not just making assumptions. Though you just did.:rolleyes: Think before you pooh pooh.;)

4. Soggy_Popcorn

Soggy_Popcorn THE Irish Ninja

This is the kind of thing most people who are inexperienced with computers would say, and I don't really blame them, since they aren't aware of how easy computer gaming COULD be. But, there are still a good amount of people with the know how or money to game on the PC, as evidenced by CoD4 and TF2 player counts. Developers must simply win them over.

5. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

well technically if you have a decenttly new pc most of those things are not issues... when i first started playing computer games i knew nothing about anything and managed to even get unreal multiplayer working which (for me) wasnt easy...

but point is taken, many ppl want things made easy for their lazy asses so they play consoles and sit on a counch all day. they dont have that magic sparkle for me. i would rather sit at the same place i can work and play a game than play on my tv.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. jasposfagot

jasposfagot My opinion is My opinion, Yours is Yours

Ah yes, and the same could be said about you. :)

7. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

So you agree you do not know what you're talking about? I'll also apply that understanding to the statement you just made, thanks.

Oh, I see you've edited your first post to remove the offending statement. I guess you didn't know we can view edits then did you? Way to go.

8. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Frankly I'm worried about console gaming.

It's fine, right now, now that we have 3 companies all vying for your attention.

But what's going to happen when 1 or 2 of either Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony die out?

Huge hits on initial console sales? Probably not anymore... probably sold for a profit.
    Back with Sega/Nintendo games cost ~70$... now with increased dev costs? Maybe 100$? Maybe more?

PC's the best platform because it's entirely unregulated. Sure you could argue Windows -- but frankly that's benign.

What someone should do is develop media center PCs to take care of gaming... assuming that my prophecy of console monopoly comes true.

9. Jordan L

Jordan L New Member

I'll have to admit that this post was pretty funny, and its true. Although, I'm lucky that I haven't really ever had that kind of problem with a game before, but I do get issues once in a while that only take 1 step to resolve.

10. Sir_Brizz

I don't really have problems like that either, but two things.

1) We are probably the kind of people that stay up on driver updates and other things that keep stability issues down.

2) To some extent that is just how PC gaming has come to be known in the casual gaming community. It's much easier to use a system designed for one thing than one that is designed for all things.

But yes, entertaining none the less.

11. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

Unbelievable! You're saying it's not selling well because it's not in a general food store?

Thanks for making my day :lol: :lol:

12. Lethargy

Lethargy Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

I think it's not selling well because it is not food.

13. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

Congrats it's now not JUST your signature and username that gives away your trollish status, it's your behaviour as well... Well played!

14. Coffin_Dancer

Coffin_Dancer New Member

this thread is getting funnier as it... progresses? :)
    so i can't resist some "food for thought":

i was so pi$$ed off about UT3, that i went out and bought CoD4.

that turned into such a spamfest that after about an hour or so online i haven't played since.

partly because i'm concentrating on FFOW, and partly cause i've liked what i see so far with the beta2 patches for UT3.

but with the way things have turned out, Epic has now joined EA in the list of companies i will NEVER buy anything from again.

yeehaw!
    CD

15. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

Tesco is not just a general food store, although those are its roots. It is a general retailer these days and non-food sales form a significant portion of their sales.

I had noticed that UT3 was not on sale in the local Tesco Extra (i.e. the type of Tesco with the largest non-food range) but I had assumed that it was because the game was rated at 18 here in the UK and there didn't seem to be any other 18 rated games on display. However, I notice that their web site does have 18 rated games for sale.

If it is a policy of Tesco not to sell 18 rated games in stores then fair enough. If Midway failed to get the game shelf space with a store that has over 30% of the UK grocery market (and a fair chunk, but not as good, of the non-food market) then I think Epic should be asking questions of their publisher.

16. Spank$hot_BT

Spank$hot_BT New Member

General food store??? Does it say 1987 on your avatar because you live there? 1 in every 8 pounds in the UK is spent in TESCO. They have MASSIVE buying power. Almost every human in the UK passes through their doors WEEKLY. They are cheaper. More conveniently placed, have MASSIVE distribution, MASSIVE footfall, open 24 hour. They are the by far the most dominant GENERAL retailer in the UK, even online. They sell everything from a can of beans to a TV to car insurance. Please tell me your pretending to be this ignorant, you got to be pretending!?

If Epic wanted more casual gamer sales than i'm sure more than a few would have been from here. The broader point i was making s that this is just one VERY SIGNIFICANT example.

You clearly have no idea about retail in the UK and your obviously willing to take whatever i say out of context and distort facts to denigrate the point i was originally trying to make. Bored now.:zzz:

UT3 was a smooth, successful roll out throughout the UK, a marketing and distribution tour de force. feel better?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  17. carmatic

carmatic New Member

you know, what is worrying me is that when i went into pcworld, i saw on the shelves box after box of the limited collectors edition of ut3, months after its been released, with even more of the non collectors edition on the next shelf... i thought, hmm this didnt use to be like this, i remember the days when Game had posters for ut2k4 out on display on the windows, that was one of the true testaments of pc gaming... i dont think they did the same thing for ut3

::edit:: woot 666th post, my first post after buying ut3

18. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

First of all, learn something about me before actually commenting on my title...wewps, you're assuming again...that's a bad habit you know ;)

Yeah, right. I'm in a big town and we don't even have a Tesco. All my friends and family who live in this town don't go to Tesco at all.

*hears the "he's assuming things" comment again*

I need a break from this thread :lol:

19. Sir_Brizz

Also,

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=810387

HAH... Link doesn't work. Tesco possibly has the worst web page I've ever seen for a huge retailer. Needless to say, if you go to their entertainment section and search for Unreal, they do indeed stock UT3, UT3 PS3 and UT3CE.

edit: fixed link.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  20. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

My impression is that the UK retail price for the PC game is soft. That's not usually an indication that the game is in great demand. I've even seen a new CE in Gamestation for 20GBP.

A quick survey of UK-based online retailers (PC editions):

Amazon (delivered)
    CoD4 29.98GBP
    Crysis 26.98GBP
    UT3 17.98GBP
    Play (delivered)
    Cryisis 26.99GBP
    CoD4 29.99GBP
    UT3 17.99GBP
    Gamestation (ex postage)
    CoD4 29.99GBP
    Crysis 24.99GBP
    UT3 (CE!) 19.98GBP

Edit: And following Sir Brizz's Tesco link - 34.97GBP - I can see why they wouldn't bother putting them in the store at that price. That is a "we can't be bothered" price. A bit like when the insurance company says, "Yes, we'll insure you car. It's only 50000GBP/annum".

And yes, Tesco's web site is awful. Try using it during peak periods (I don't but my wife does and then blames me for their web site not working :))