UT 3.5 (no trolls allowed)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
meh, UT lost a lot of players when 2k3 came out, and they never came back. i personally play as often as i can (though now i'm waiting for patch 2).

The biggest thing i can contribute to this list is ADDING MAPS THAT ACTUALLY SUPPORT 32-64 PLAYERS. No more of the 8 person maps, leave those for the community. I am so sick of playing a match on deck and having 16 ppl on there.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Deck is one of those classic maps that will (and rightly should) be in every version. It's a UT staple. It however doesn't mean you have to like it.

I think we do need some truly epic Warfare maps - 20+ nodes and a lot of space to maneuver.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I must say while I like the new version of deck, perhaps even better than any of the previous versions its still deck. Good map but it doesnt really suit my playstyle as much as other maps so perhaps thats why I never really liked the map. It could be that or the fact the shield and vest are really close together, not to mention the boots and deemer in close facinity as well.

Mind you I cant really judge I havent played the map enough to know if any of the spawn points have changed... or have I :p

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
The biggest thing i can contribute to this list is ADDING MAPS THAT ACTUALLY SUPPORT 32-64 PLAYERS.

Here is a better idea, don't play with 32-64 people on a server. It sucks in UT3, just like it did in UT2k4 and UT99. Why is that? Think about it.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Yeah I must say while I like the new version of deck, perhaps even better than any of the previous versions its still deck. Good map but it doesnt really suit my playstyle as much as other maps so perhaps thats why I never really liked the map. It could be that or the fact the shield and vest are really close together, not to mention the boots and deemer in close facinity as well.

Mind you I cant really judge I havent played the map enough to know if any of the spawn points have changed... or have I :p

There is only one annoying spawnpoint on deck atm, the one where you spawn on top of the boxes right next to the amp. 9 out of 10 times I'm to late to jump, so I can't gab the amp.

The most stupid spawnpoint of all is the one right in front of the jumppad on Bio, spawning there is instant death.

Spank$hot_BT

Feb 11, 2008
TAM is all about casual play. Everyone's on an even footing and all positional and control cues from item placement are null and void. You don't have to work for teamwork since you spawn together, and there's even a health handicap for the winning team so scores don't get out of hand. This is the definition of casual, not competitive. TAM is as casual as it gets... which is why it's popular. If it were less casual like TDM, CTF, and 1v1, it wouldn't have gained such popularity. If popularity is the same as competitive, then Halo 3 is the most competitive game there is. :)

There is more emphasis on raw skill than timing / tactical control of the map. These gametypes (especially Freon imo) add their own unique tactical requirements. The health handicap (challenge mode?) is the only thing which possibly makes these gametypes casual, but i believe that's optional. Does TDM not have more casual options?

No one listens. No one changes.

:eek: Really?? What a shock :)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Deck is one of those classic maps that will (and rightly should) be in every version. It's a UT staple. It however doesn't mean you have to like it.

I think we do need some truly epic Warfare maps - 20+ nodes and a lot of space to maneuver.

Kinda ONS-Maelstorm was supposed to be :)

And Deck started to be good in UT3. The corridor which connects the Flak Cannon area to the part with the Damage Amplifier fixes parts of the map's flow, IMO.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Kinda ONS-Maelstorm was supposed to be :)

And Deck started to be good in UT3. The corridor which connects the Flak Cannon area to the part with the Damage Amplifier fixes parts of the map's flow, IMO.

That connection was there in 2k4. Only in UT there is a dead end at the Flak.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Here is a better idea, don't play with 32-64 people on a server. It sucks in UT3, just like it did in UT2k4 and UT99. Why is that? Think about it.

oh, i certainly agree, and have mentioned it in many posts. I mean seriously, what are these ppl thinking? "I love Spam" ? meh....

Apr 13, 2003
Somewhere, Unreal
Visit site
UT3 is 60-70% vehakal-based. I don't like vehakals. Never have, never will. I got good at ONS in UT2004 but I didn't like it in the same way I liked the on-foot gametypes. VCTF is the worst and most unfun gametype I've played ever. Warfare is worse than ONS due to the orb. So, for me, 60-70% of the game's total gameplay is null and void.

Then there's the art. Yes, the maps look very nice (assuming you like having everything blown up and ruined), but I don't care. At all. Multiplayer games will never be about the art and immersion for me. If I want immersion I'll go play a single-player game with the graphics maxed and my speakers belting out 110-decibel tunes. Multiplayer is about the gameplay, the movement, the weapon balance, the tactics, and the strategies. The overcoming not only of the enemy's skill but of your own inadequacies and bad habits. And it's not just the "core" gameplay -- a good portion of any game's gameplay is inherent to the maps, and I firmly believe UT3's DM maps are mostly terrible in this vein.

Yes, you can cram a bunch of people into any of the maps and mindlessly blow them up repeatedly, but that's not fun to me. I did that the first couple weeks and it got incredibly old very fast. DM doesn't have to be about mindless spam in overcrowded areas, but people seem to have forgotten that.

There was a time when DM mattered. Apparently it doesn't anymore. I couldn't give less of a f**k about the latest vehakals. I wanted UT3 to be the next big DM game -- it certainly had the potential given that it had NO direct competition. I wanted UT3 to be what UT2004 couldn't be due to hitscan dominance and the shield gun. Yet Epic squandered yet another opportunity to do something cool and went for the lame bottom line, the normalized popularity curve, the ideology that precision, agility, prediction, and adeptness is less of a concern than the teamwork of a raptor-grapple flag cap.

PS: I have a follow-up interview for the job I was interviewed about last week. Hopefully I won't have so much BuF time soon. :]

If weapons, pickups, belts etc popped up in randomly different places & not exactly in the same spot as where the last weapon appeared would you still enjoy the game? Also, if Custom maps were used and rotated in so "strategy" couldn't be counted on after a week of play since the map would be rotated out & the weapons/STUFF wouldn't pop up in the same place AND THE Players wouldn't SPAWN in the same place to be spawn killed wo a weapon....Would you still ENJOY the gameplay?

I enjoy a flow of a map, the speed and the chaos... I think having to use all weapons equally & whatever you get at the time on whatever map that is on is the most fun.

Control, horde, camp, spawnkill YAWN... although I am quite the gatherer I wouldn't mind seeing the chaos of people not knowing where something is going to be all the time.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Would you enjoy sports if in baseball, basketball, and football all the rules randomly changed for the duration of the game? Let's have the goals rotate around the arena, the balls change size and weight, and arena itself shrink and grow every minute. Can you imagine the chaos?! Would you like it then? I would hope not. You may not like DM but things aren't random for a reason, so I'd say get a better argument. :)

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
I have updated my list on the first page. (I really hope Epic listens to this, it will help out in many, many ways. :) )

1) An option to use the console UT3 menu or SolidSnake's UWindows (doesn't matter to me which is default :D)
2) More advanced "console menu" options in the UT3 Menu (some will probably make it to the UT3 patches, but UT 3.5 should expand the old console menu even further).
3) Add more gametypes (aka add UT3DOM into UT3.5, as well as the best gametypes from UT2004, and others, like Monster Hunt as an example :p)
4) An option to do the old skool tournament style single player and the default UT3 story-line game option.
5) Add all the teams back from UT99 and UT2004 into UT3. :)
6) Re-add the minigun (but keep the stinger). :D
7) More customizability (create announcers, voice packs, new races, more UnrealKismet options, more textures, more music, etc).
8) Re-add Malcolm and Thundercrash into the game through an expansion or UT3.5. :)
9) Support for Demo reocrding, and add the planned features that was originally set for UT3.
10) More characters and levels. \o/
11) Integrate 4-team support into UT3.5. :)
12) Revamp UnrealKimset so it can be used to use UnrealScript fully (aka you can code an entire gametpye 100% from UnrealKimset)
13) Add an option to "decompile" cooked maps (with a message in UnrealEd saying that you have permission or what not). :)
14) Remove GameSpy alltogether.
15) Add an option to change your nickname throughout UT3.5.
16) Bring back advanced options. :)

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
6) Re-add the minigun (but keep the stinger).

Ah, I'm looking so forward to it after those annoying UT2k4's LG vs SR comparisons :p

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
See the thing is when you are making requests you should be more realistic about which ones you really think Epic will tackle and mention only those things. Asking for stuff like gamespy to be removed is not going to happen nor will there be a UT3.5 nor are they going to add an option to decompile cooked content ... wth is that all about anyway ... why would you need that if the content author has agreed to cook his content to the PS3? So you can cook whatever stuff you want without having to even ask the original content author ... huh that is not going to happen ... in fact Epic needs to finds a better way for the current method not to be circumvented so that PC modders don't have to worry that their content will end up on the PS3 unless they have actually cooked it and made their content for the PS3 as well. Nope Epic DEFINITELY DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT REQUEST ... modders would be outraged and you would lose another sizable amount of devs from the community.

Epic is also not going to integrate 4 team support in the game either so that is a waste of a request. And they are not going to bring all the teams back that were in previous versions of UT nor will there be anymore gametypes from Epic. Ask for things the devs can actually get done and are most likely willing to do .. not major changes that would have the devs working on this game again night and day ... that is not going to happen. The minigun is not going to get readded either ... man do you understand how much work it is to bring a weapon back into the mix on the official side of things and make sure the gameplay aspect of the weapon is okay in all the current maps ... when they made the decision to drop the LG and the MG they were saying to the community that if we want them back fine but we'll have to make them ourselves ... I can't see Epic under circumstances doing this. Sorry. Some of your other suggestions are good though.

Last edited:

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
So, you're saying keep GameSpy, and let eeryoen bitch and whien and complain about this stuff? Hae you seen the thread lately? Peopel hae been bitchign about Gamespy removal since the day it came out. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. And btw, I have yet to see a person who has yet wanted GameSpy in UT3 in the first palce!

Edit1: And btw, For offlien users only, who don't have the itnernet, they can't save their rpogress. If you think that they should get the itnernet, what if they can't afford it? I can't stand people who want everyoen who plays UT3 and wants everyoen to have an itnenret connection. It confuses me to no end. Btw, my best friend does not have any itnernet, (he lives with his grandmother), and she refuses to get the itnernet fo a fear for viruses, spyware, trojans, and what not. And you kwno what? he can't save the game. Put yourself in his shoes, and tell em if you would like tp play UT3 without internet, that you can't savve your single player game, all because of GameSpy!

Edit2: However, there is ONLY 1 thign I like about the GameSpy thing. You can reformat youyr computer, and still have most (or fi not) all your settings saved. That's the only useful feature about it. In the vast amount of other ways, it litereally should be removed or not control the game as much.

And ok, the cooking option for agreing to the authors idea is a bit stupid, I can gree with you on that one. ;) But there should be an option to uncompress the cooked files

And I am in no way talkign about the PS3 here, you are rambling on abotu somethign I am not even going to discuss with you!

And btw, UT99 had 4 team support. it helped out the UT99 4 team commuity alot. Maybe in your opinion there shoudl'nt be any 4 team gameplay, but I'm sure they are alot of people who agree with em that 4 team should be integrated along in UT3.5 If you don't like it, oh well!

Sorry. Some of your other suggestions are good though.

I'm glad. And tbh, I'm not mad at all when I wrote the previous statements. :)

And btw, I find you quite a cool guy :)

Take Care. :)

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Cool man ... what I was saying was not a personal attack on you at all. Of course I would be up for everything that you suggested. What I am saying is that those requests as good as they are, are unrealistic ... Epic is not going to change those things I mentioned but the other things stand a much better chance of being addressed. The cooking thing I just assumed you were talking about PS3 cooking .. sorry I know I should not make assumptions by now ... :p Glad you think I am a cool guy. :lol: I kind of feel the same but plenty of folks might argue differently. ;)