What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
There is no other measurement of failure.

It only failed because Unreal II failed, and it came out a good bit later - not with the game at launch. UTXMP can't be blamed for failing either cause it was based on UT2k4 - which also failed :D

Based on the fact that other shooters are doing quite fantastically well with classes (BattleField, Wolfenstien, Quake Wars, Team Fortress 2) I fail to see why this couldn't work!

Having said so, I'm not overly interested in UT directly copying these games - but some form of tactical large scale battles (ala Conquest) would be very cool!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think Unreal could add something Class-like and be very successful with it. I don't think it could do what CoD4 or Quake Wars does, though, with much success.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
XMP was great and could have propelled the UT games to a new level. But Epic seems to be stuck in a worm hole of past success with UT1 and what it brought to the masses. Truthfully, a classed based system would have been awesome for UT3. In some way, it kind of does that with the vehicles, but not the players.

As it is now, UT3's formula is based on an era of gaming when competition wasn't fierce and the choice of game genres was limited. Today, we have so many types of games with new and innovative game play that UT3 just doesn't seem to grab the new gamer's attention. So what is to be done for the future UT?

Well, I personally think that Epic will pour more energy into console games than PCs. Its more profitable for them and less risks to take. We must remember that Unreal is an engine and the PC side of the engine was the UT series. It was to show off the power of their engine so other development companies would buy it. Now that more and more development companies are going console, it is in Epic's best interest to show off their engine on a console platform. However, if Epic does continue support for the PC, they may not invest too much gameplay innovations, but include graphical enhancements using the same old formula. For the record, I hate console games...but if Sony and Microsoft ever include a fully functional mouse and keyboard support to their consoles, I don't see PC gaming remaining the top benchmark.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
heh, just bored Hal...not say I'm here for lack of anything else to do. I read the AA news post you made and placed a comment. Thought I'd drop by.

BTW, I'm moving to northern Virginia and will be working in D.C.. I might look up Pete and waste his time a bit.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Hard for me to imagine a mod that adds class based gameplay to a game that is popular for it's arcade style would do that great.

Released as a stand alone title, maybe, but... as a mod of a different genre... it's going to be too niche.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
You're aware that Unreal had a Skaarj Assault Rifle (Sniper Rifle) and UT had a Sniper Rifle?

Yes I am.

I wouldn't mind if XMP was a gameype but if the Class based system was used in every gametype it would just spoil it imo. It would become more like any other game.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
yeah there has been very little "real" UT99 playing going on for a long time... the few times ive loaded it up its all insta-zark-sniper-superBIGmap-BIGhead-lowgrav-2xspeed-invasion servers that i could find with more than 2 ppl on them. and thats fine. im happy UT still lives on in some way or other :)

To anyone interested in playing regular weapons, no-BS mods UT99 CTF:

You are cordially invited to discover and learn about the UT99 CTF PUG (pickup games) matches, which are spontaneously organized 5-on-5 CTF matches that are similar to playing in a clan match but without being in a clan and without having to adhere to a schedule. You just sign up to play whenever you want. People meet in an IRC channel and merely type .join to sign up to play the next match. When it fills to 10 people, two people become team captains and draft the other 8 players which often results in having balanced teams and competitive, fun matches. Then everyone joins a Teamspeak voice comm server, gets into their team's voice chat channel, and joins the game server. Playing on public servers just doesn't compare to playing a PUG match and you can make good online friends by becoming an active member of the PUG community.

You can find 125 speed regular weapons UT99 CTF pug matches here:

SERVER: irc.GameRadius.net
CHANNEL: #speedpug

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hard for me to imagine a mod that adds class based gameplay to a game that is popular for it's arcade style would do that great.

*cough*TeamFortress*cough*

Released as a stand alone title, maybe, but... as a mod of a different genre... it's going to be too niche.

A gametype like Warfare would have worked better with classes or at least with selectable loadouts based on what the player wants to do. Could it been better if they really only made Conquest like it was planned instead adding DM/CTF stuff while rushing the whole thing out the door? Who knows...

As I said, Epic just keeps doing the same type of game over while just adding stuff to make it look new while other games are evolved from previous styles. Just adding classes to UT isn't going to help it anymore than adding vehicles at this point.
Why? Because nothing changed.

Seriously, I had been working on a Weapons Factory type mod for UT2004 with a possibilty to do it for UT3 instead. But there were other class based mods that were suppose to be made for the HL2 & Quake 4 engines but they were just canceled. The reason? Because there wasn't a large enough audience on both platforms to make it worth while.

As for XMP failing, it's mainly because of piss poor support by Epic and Atari. It should had been released along with Unreal II but then again it might have not been enough to support the mediocre single player game it's based on.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Note: This post is completely biased, incorrect, and stupid. :p
Yes, because 2000-3000 players is a resounding success.... :shake: And that was at it's peak. "Better than UT3" doesn't mean much if it's "worse than everything else". :p

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
While UT3 isnt perfect, it - in my opinion - is fine, if lite on content.

Yet it failed - utterly.

Not only did the general public pass on it, but the community were actively hostile.

Epic probably made the correct choice to move away from its historical platform - the PC. Something similar happened to the Tribes franchise (and now legions from GG) - the community has and will continue to kill the franchise. Epic may avoid the future of the Tribe franchise by moving to consoles.

I dont see much of a future for Epic on the PC. Things could change, but it would take non-epic customers (which failed with UT3) and a change of heart with the community. Both will be tough to achieve.

Were I Epic, the most I would do at this point might be to create a separate business unit (very small) to license an Epic engine and build a PC product. If it failed it would die NOT Epic. I would expect it to die.

P.S.
I purchased UT3 and enjoy it.

(unedited)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Could it been better if they really only made Conquest like it was planned instead adding DM/CTF stuff while rushing the whole thing out the door? Who knows...

As I said, Epic just keeps doing the same type of game over while just adding stuff to make it look new while other games are evolved from previous styles. Just adding classes to UT isn't going to help it anymore than adding vehicles at this point.
Why? Because nothing changed.

QFT

I was expecting something new, even warfare was hyped as being some new hybrid of gametypes, but it turned out it was all old games and less of them. If the game had really evolved in some way, I probably wouldn't be so bothered by the crap UI, and poorly supported instant action.

And when they make an Unreal Tournament title that focuses on a storyline, but does not feature a tournament, you would kind of expect some radical changes, no? But I guess that's marketing for you. I wonder how this would have gone over if they called it something else, and made it like a UT spin-off or something...

That conquest stuff sounds like it would have been interesting. Maybe in UE3 UTGame Round 2? Which hopefully is not determined to continue the 'story' from UT3?