What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
*cough*TeamFortress*cough*

The difference is team fortress was a mod for a multi player game that was terrible, and a different genre. People didn't buy HL for the multi player, they bought the single player game, and eventually checked out the multi player when they either A; got bored with the campaign, B; saw a cool mod for it, or C; had no other games to play online.

UT is definitely intended more as a multi player game, and it was a fairly popular once. Hence, changing genre on the same basic medium was not to be as successful.

Was kinda like playing DM in tribes. It becomes inherently niche.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
The difference is team fortress was a mod for a multi player game that was terrible, and a different genre. People didn't buy HL for the multi player, they bought the single player game, and eventually checked out the multi player when they either A; got bored with the campaign, B; saw a cool mod for it, or C; had no other games to play online.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Half Life multiplayer was extremely popular and continues to be so today. Currently, Half Life 2 Deathmatch has three to four times as many players as UT3.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
More fun area style maps.

Re-introduce the Liandri Tournament plot - It was a great concept.

Some classic map remakes?

More characters (Scarj or some other kind of aliens would be cool)

Maybe change the movement - Make the characters lighter like in UT and UT2K4

Bring back assault and some of the other old gametypes. UT2K4 had quite a large fanbase that only played on assault servers (Custom maps of course)

Make it more bloody like gears of war! For example when you get shot into bits with a flak cannon make the character get ripped to shreds like when you're shot with a troika in gears of war. - Bit of you flying around rather than random bits of meat.

I voted an expansion to UT3 as my requests wouldn't require the game to be built from the ground up. :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't know if I've posted in this thread things I'd actually like to see in UT3.5/UT4...

• Fast running speed. It's currently the same as UT2004 and only feels faster due to smaller map size.
  • A worthwhile single jump. (1)
  • Projectiles that make people bounce around a lot rather than just get stuck in place.
  • Little to no air control. Right now there's no penalty to being airborne because you can switch directions instantaneously. Mega fail.
  • Hitscan with accurate server-side traces and client-side tracers. (2)
  • A shaft weapon (link) that isn't a waste of up against rockets/flak.
  • Stop pretending Warfare isn't ONS and take out all the fluff (avalanches, bridges, etc.). Leave the node play and keep the orb available only to the defending (losing) team.
  • Stop pretending Warfare is like Assault. ONS and AS are mutually exclusive ideas given that one is back-and-forth and the other is one-way. Keep the Warfare fluff to an AS-like gametype.
  • DM/CTF maps NOT designed by Epic.
(1) Maps should be built properly around the movement, unlike something like Shangri were you can't even double jump up onto the ledges in the amp courtyard.

(2) Hitscan balance shouldn't be based on their inaccuracy but rather the tightness of the maps (or map sections) and the length of time between shots.

Apparently pointing this out low player counts as one of UT3's major failure points gets you branded a troll around here. :/
I was branded long before UT3 came out. But then I got rebranded by all the fanboi newbs who joined BuF because of UT3. :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You have no idea what you're talking about. Half Life multiplayer was extremely popular and continues to be so today. Currently, Half Life 2 Deathmatch has three to four times as many players as UT3.
Half Life multiplayer was simply fun. I don't know anyone that really took it seriously. All of the mods that have come out for HL have blown it's player numbers away. Why do you think HL2 shipped without any multiplayer and only had DM patched in at a later time?

7yph0on

M/T/D
Nov 19, 2005
Miasma
www.clanbbf.com
Reading from front to back these many posts from everyone the general feel is for something different. Something fresh, fun, arcade-ish and appealing from the Deathmatchers to the Team/Goal oriented players. The single thing I'd ask EPIC for is to give the world a polished retail version of XMP. Ok so it's not brand new but... It was only DL'd and not really marketed, much like Old Counter Strike. Imagine if it hit, XMP... Full fledged and gleaming, on retail shelves round the world!? With how many players loved the original for it being so underground, any Game Developing Company NOT interested in retailing it to the masses should go make PONG for cell phones...

Anyway, some things people want from their shiny new UT game are:

Class Oriented without having 8 of them... XMP (3 distinct classes)

Intract with the environment... XMP ('Using' objects to obtain Deploys, Energy, Locked doors and more)

Fantastic Movement... XMP (If you've played it and can Concussion jump or Super Wall jump you know what's up)

Killer shootouts and dynamic play... XMP (Known for the most brutal and tasty skilled shootouts evar)

Maps made for the Movement... XMP (Too many to list!)

Arena/Arcade/Team play... XMP (Depending on map)

Great graphics lookin killer on average PCs... XMP (Depending on version but frame rates were always high)

Weapons of all new sorts... XMP (Burst pistol, Smoke grenades, Fire grenades, Concussion grenades throwing players and vehicles around, Shotguns breathing fire, Auto/Rocket turrets... Simply excellent)

I still play regularly and map for UTXMP/U3 and want to work with an experienced UnrealScripter for Mutators etc. Just made my first U3 Mutator XD anyway... XMP was and still IS the single best online shooter I've ever known. If someone retails a killer version I swear I'm gettin it tattooed across my shoulders...

~Vive La XMP~
Get UTXMP from: http://www.free-monkey.com/main/utxmp_download.php (UT2k4 required ;) )

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I don't know if I've posted in this thread things I'd actually like to see in UT3.5/UT4...

*stuff*
And what is stopping you from building that yourself ?
It does not look like it actually requires Epic's assistance at all ...

(1) Maps should be built properly around the movement, unlike something like Shangri were you can't even double jump up onto the ledges in the amp courtyard.
My guess is that such things were the result in changes in movement-physics during late development that for some reason were ignored by the mappers. Besides ... perhaps no one even thought of doing that during development/testing either. Reality and development can be completely different worlds even if you're trying hard for them not to be that way.

(2) Hitscan balance shouldn't be based on their inaccuracy but rather the tightness of the maps (or map sections) and the length of time between shots.
And how exactly are you going to do that in a fast-paced game without using a super-computer and psychic powers to assist you ?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
You know speaking about those ledges in shangri, maybe the mapper didnt want people to jump up there like a small pit design, ofcoarse thats not the only possibility. There is plenty of other areas which you can use more advanced movements in shangri, like the ledges though there are trim bits which stop you stair dodging through to the stinger as well.

I think that goes to making better maps though, not everything is a double jump height and makes you think about paths and the situation youre getting yourself into more. I do miss dodge ramps but I dont think UT3 is any worse because they arnt in there.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
In a word... XMP

The movement variety in XMP is a huge winner. You have a jetpack for giant leaps, with double jumps and super jumps to multiply the effect. It adds another degree of freedom to even simple gun fights.

A second to all of the things Typhoon mentioned above.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I never said a thing about the popularity of HLDM. I said it was terrible. Balance and style wise. It's no arena shooter. It's entertaining, but it doesn't have longevity without a certain balance. We would of stopped playing it all together if not for rocket crowbar, and other mods of that nature.

...and I agree with most of T2A's post, barring the bit about war/ons/as/orbs, and the idea that hitscans should be balanced to the maps. Hitscan needs to be balanced without influence of maps by damage, rof, ammo caps, and push. I'm not a big fan of the cone though either, so I'm with him there.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
And how exactly are you going to do that in a fast-paced game without using a super-computer and psychic powers to assist you ?
UT2003's hitscan was accurate. UT2004 introduced vector rounding to lower bandwidth usage -- the start of the problem -- and I don't know WTF they did with UT3 but it's a total crapshoot as to whether or not any given hitscan shot will connect.

It's really a combination of good weapon code and good network code. UT2004 had UT2003's weapon code, which is just fine, but introduced bandwidth optimizations so that it could better handle vehakals and high player counts. UT3's weapon code has something inherently wrong with it, hence why hitscan is inaccurate even offline, and then it has network issues along side it. D:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
hence why hitscan is inaccurate even offline

Are you sure? I don't have any problems offline at all. I always just assumed that was because of obviously 0 ping and the predictable movement of bots.

isocryd

Final steps of evolution
2. Some maps based in arenas with cameras and maybe actual crowds (if this can be done without hurting performance).. bring the announcer in as a game character during each map/mission, and he has unique lines, introducing the competitors, objectives etc. We've always heard the announcer, but actually SEEing him would be quite neat if you ask me.

I think the announcer should scream like a little girl whenever someone shoots a rocket at the announcer's booth :D

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
UT2003's hitscan was accurate. UT2004 introduced vector rounding to lower bandwidth usage -- the start of the problem -- and I don't know WTF they did with UT3 but it's a total crapshoot as to whether or not any given hitscan shot will connect.

It's really a combination of good weapon code and good network code. UT2004 had UT2003's weapon code, which is just fine, but introduced bandwidth optimizations so that it could better handle vehakals and high player counts. UT3's weapon code has something inherently wrong with it, hence why hitscan is inaccurate even offline, and then it has network issues along side it. D:
The (insane) accuracy of hitscan-based weapons was the cause of the weapon-imbalance.
The UT2k4-fix was an attempt at providing a solution.
Making it as accurate as it used to be would not do anything except return to the imbalance that was seen in UT2k3 when it was released.

It still does not explain how you think anyone can add "tightness of the map" and "length of time between shots" to 'improve' the hitscan-balance (or lack thereof).

While you could the latter part of your wish there's no way anyone can even do the former. Especially when given that on terrain-based maps there is no 'thightess' and the hitscan-weapons would be superior to anything else.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of your supposed 'solution'.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I never said a thing about the popularity of HLDM. I said it was terrible. Balance and style wise. It's no arena shooter. It's entertaining, but it doesn't have longevity without a certain balance. We would of stopped playing it all together if not for rocket crowbar, and other mods of that nature.

...and I agree with most of T2A's post, barring the bit about war/ons/as/orbs, and the idea that hitscans should be balanced to the maps. Hitscan needs to be balanced without influence of maps by damage, rof, ammo caps, and push. I'm not a big fan of the cone though either, so I'm with him there.

You obviously never played HL2DM on a high enough level to understand. I'll leave it at that.