What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
no no no no no ... those are only the things ppl want who dont play UT anymore... those are things that people who want to play an entirely different game want. the people who play UT through UT3 are not looking for a class system to take over UT (never have been) and are not looking for a bunch of new weapons, (UTs weapons are fine and dandy and great even). yaknow even the very scientific results to this poll show that.

Thank god someone else was saying it. UT is UT. Not Team Fortress.

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
Get back to the roots....loose all the gimmicky stuff ,keep vehicles thats fine but make the game the total packagegood user interface Uwindows,easier way to bind weapons and voices take a bit from all of the games but make the gameplay hardcore and return to the great CTF game we all know and loved...and make it for PC...

PS loose the big A$$ed armour systems all the charaters look like they belong in the WWE plain stupid in my opinion...

PSS Ya'll have missed me i know ... :)

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Thank god someone else was saying it. UT is UT. Not Team Fortress.

Maybe, but what really defines UT under your perspective guys?
I'm sure some of us may define UT by:

• Fast Action
  • Vehicles
  • Arcade Style ("Unreal") - giving double jump, not visually realistic, wall-dodge, jump pad, etc.
  • Balanced weapons & deployables
  • Base on a few weapons having each more than one function, but the overall covers pretty much all the possible gameplay mechanics
    • Arc trajectory
    • Exploding (flak, rocket, etc)
    • Sticking to walls (bio rifle)
    • Slow projectiles (rocket, flak, etc)
    • Bullets (enforcer, snipe)
    • Spread (flak canon)
    • Constant attack (link gun)
    • Locking (rocket)
    • Repair (link gun)
    • Etc.

Classes?
Is it really a shame if some of us would prefer having some kind of "Classes", what would just mean "specializations". It could be anything. Classes is only a bad thing if you prefer having "individual skills involved, because by adding character classes you often create handicaps when a Classes face another specific one. With the UT weapons, that won't happen, so it can't be that bad, it would jsut mean that you would choose a specific Weapon Setup at the start, right? Anyway, there are so many ways to bring "classes" in a FPS. However, are classes necessary? If you may choose your weapons or else when you respawn... I don't think so.

Adding new elements to UT, would it be that bad?
If you are part of these guys reading...
"Would it be a good idea to have some kind of Gears of War weapons in UT?"

And answer : "Go play GoW then..."
I'll tell you the same here. If you don't want any changes "You can always go back on our old school shooters like UT99 and Quake 3 if more complex game elements are too much for your taste". Games evolve, the same goes for the gamers. UT must stay what it is; fast action, nice use of movements, vehicles, be UNREAL, do not have 100 weapons with only a few variations to fake the quality/quantity of the game, etc.

It wouldn't be bad to add more Customization in the Menu Interface.

It wouldn't be bad to add more Style of Characters in term of Customization, but what we already got was good enough for my taste, in my opinion, but maybe you would like way more Clothes.

And it wouldn'T be bad to improve the actual Formula.

A deeper Campaign
It wouldn't be bad to have way more things to Unlock. Maybe we could just progress through the Campaign to unlock "dodge, double-jump & wall-dodge".

Maybe we could also get more and more vehicles as we progress in the games, but we should be able to have close-quarter-combat battles to keep a great Game Experience Curve to keep the players entertained.

Bring back some "Bombing Run" Gametype styles, but more of that. It's new, fresh and original. It lets you play a game differently, alone, with bots or with good friends. Memorable moments, I'm sure you do have.

Keep "Instant Action", but maybe it would be better to make a real "Campaign". With a real story, etc. It won't replace Gears of War, GoW isn't UT and FPS needs more Singleplayer quality games. There is many interesting or simple + effective Game Structures. GoW wasn't using a complicated Game Structure and is a very great singleplayer game.

More Content... always better and welcome for Games of the Year
Adding some kind of "Grades" that you get by getting experience points would never be bad. Having the possiblity to search matches by "languages, countries, etc." could attract more players. Having clean and deep player statistic pages could be great.

A little & cool feature for modders and new comers?
Creating directly a Customizable Mutator that gives you the opportunity to change every possible & basic settings by moving some sliders... that would be very useful for "fun, quick prototyping, modders and new cormers". Having the option to save that could be welcome.

Recorded Demo is cool, but could be way better & effective

The option to save a Recorded Demo letting you see in First Person the match would help competitive players, machinima and gameplay montage videos.

UT Core Gameplays, ready for some changes? Maybe not
In terms of Gameplays, adding a deeper Core Gameplay Mechanic tree wouldn't be that bad, except for the movement, we are always at the Quake 3 stage (10 years ago?).

If the Design Decision is to keep the Core Gameplay Mechanic as Old School than it actually is, than I think it would be very interesting to focus on "Visual Special Effects" (SFX). In other terms, when you fall down from 3 floors, you could just break some tiles in on the ground. When you get bumped by a Impact Hammer and crash yourself in the wall, if we could just see the character crashing himself on it, crackling the wall, some kind of smoke[maybe I'm just using the wrong word here] on the impact (like when the GoW character stick his back against a wall), etc. It could add a lot more immersion. When a body fly away and slide on the street... if we could see some kind of sparks due to the friction it would be "the step beyond" the actual FPS games. Be able to see water foot steps when you jumped 2 seconds ago in a water source & your body also reflect that [see Tomb Raider]. These are just details that makes all the difference between one generation and another.

GTA 4 by example, took care of these details. For sure GTA 4 and UT3 aren't the same games, but these details are making a big difference between our everage FPS and our best ever FPS... or the difference between a good game and a Game of the Year.

The UT franchise probably needs a new Breathe. Maybe heading in the same direction as Ubisoft goes with Prince of Persia could be a great decision.

Make something Unreal, fresh and new... oh.. and JAW-DROPPING on the Overall. Not just on graphics...

Last edited:

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
but maybe it would be better to make a real "Campaign". With a real story, etc.
The 2k4 style campaign was perfect in my opinion. No cheesy storyline, no "respawner warfare" bull****. The only addition I could see benefiting the campaign mode would me a TrackMania style system where you have to accomplish certain things in order to unlock tracks. (In the case of UT, maps and campaign matches).

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT had the best "story" but UT2004's ladder system was fairly neat in how you could lose or win good teammates. It added some strategy that's noticeably absent in other versions. It wasn't good enough for me to bother finishing*, but I can see its value over both UT and (especially) UT3's way of going about things.

*Maybe I would have finished it had I not hit a wall where my team in CTF was 100% ineffective and completely unhelpful. By that time the game had boosted the bots' difficulty up to around godlike, and me vs. five godlike bots meant instant fail.

I recall turning on autoaim to 1000% and still being unable to win. :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think the campaign in Ut3 was that big of a deal. What was a big deal was the lack of a tournament mode.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I don't think the campaign in Ut3 was that big of a deal. What was a big deal was the lack of a tournament mode.
Yeah it would be welcome.
I totally love multiplayer games like UT3 and Shadowrun, but UT3 already lacks some features so the fact that the game doesn't even offer a deeper story based singleplayer experienced left me a bit ... sad, but not a big deal, I agree.

The only thing I'm trying to understand is, Epic Games was building UT3 since... a lot of time ago. They build the Engine with GoW, so I don't really understand why UT3 doesn't have more content even if it uses a new engine. I would be curious to have alook to the prod timeline.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
On what are your content expectations based?
Mostly on UT2004, so my expectations were simply:
  • a decent amount of customization in my main menu interface, like my "aim" at least
  • a better control over my video settings; more than world detail, resolution & textures
  • a decent amount of various gametypes other than DM, TDM, CTF and using vehicles [more like bombing run & assault, what I think was a signature to UT... to me at least)

I wasn't waiting for a CoD4, but at least a bit more than just the actual feature in UT3. I mean, even Halo 2 (also 2004) did better in term of content. Maybe I had too high expectations for UT3 other than being able to run it properly.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Mostly on UT2004, so my expectations were simply:
  • a decent amount of various gametypes other than DM, TDM, CTF and using vehicles [more like bombing run & assault, what I think was a signature to UT... to me at least)
I think we'll all agree on the interface, but isn't it a bit unfair comparing the content of UT2004 to UT3? After all, UT2004 also includes all of the UT2003 content. It's effectively two complete games in one package.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
If you create a next UT (or if you are making Halo 4), you do not plan to have less quality/quantity than your previous game. The fact that Epic build UE 3.0 isn't supposed to be an explanation of the lack of features.

If you build a new engine, you should do that to improve your product not to reduce the features, right?

You do not want a CoD4 with less features than CoD3, even if they are using a new engine.
Same for Halo 3 VS Halo 2.

Epic build UE 3.0 for both GoW and UT3, I think that the fact they build it for both games should have reduce their production timeline on the engine allowing them to focus on adding more content and polishing the game. Because if we do agree that the fact they build a new Engine is the explanation for a lack of features in UT3... than it would not be very valuable with the blue sentence.

When your create a new game, you should not focus making it less fun or less rich than the previous one, if his only better quality are the visual & the sound.

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
UT3 has easily enough content for a arena shooter - about the same amount as UT and UT2k3. Using UT2k4 is an unfair comparison cause it's two games wrapped into one. Actually, UT3 has far more content than most other online FPS.

I will concede that it lacked online features, polish, decent UI, a proper SP Campaign, a Tournament!!!

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
UT3 has easily enough content for a arena shooter - about the same amount as UT and UT2k3. Using UT2k4 is an unfair comparison cause it's two games wrapped into one. Actually, UT3 has far more content than most other online FPS.

I will concede that it lacked online features, polish, decent UI, a proper SP Campaign, a Tournament!!!

Well, compared to other FPS... UT3 is way behind them under the following perspective.
CoD4
  • Many many weapons
  • Perks
  • Grades & experience points
  • Weapon upgrades
  • Man many gametypes
  • Ranking & Matchmaking
  • Many maps
  • ... No bots :(
  • Good singleplayer

Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Character Customization
  • A few gametypes
  • Correct amount of maps
  • A lot of weapons
  • A lot of items
  • Great use of Experience points & grades
  • Unlock weapons through an innovative system
  • Coop Campaign
  • Terrorist Hunt [bots :lol:]
  • Great Matchmaking
  • Game Achievements

Halo 2 (2004)
  • No bots.. :(
  • Enough weapons
  • Many maps
  • A lot of gametypes
  • You can create your own gametypes
  • Vehicles
  • Campaign & coop

Halo 3
  • Good quantity of weapons
  • Vehicles
  • Matchmaking
  • Grades & experience points + leveling up per gametypes
  • Character Customization
  • Great amount of gametypes
  • Forge [map modification & gametypes]
  • Theater (recording demos)
  • Good amount of bad maps :lol:
  • Great Campaign... awesome coop
  • New engine <<
  • No bots... :(

Battlefield 2142
  • A few maps
  • Good HUD customization
  • Correct amount of weapons
  • Different character Classes
  • Unlock items
  • Unlock Achievement
  • Get medals & grades with Exp Points (rank)
  • Vehicles
  • Customize your setup with your new stuff
  • Teamwork gameplays
  • Bots available :)

UT3
  • Instant action & Fake Campaign [it's everything form the multi mode linked with Cinematics]:(
  • Average Multiplayer experience
  • Recording Demo [no first person view]
  • Correct amount of weapons
  • Vehicles
  • correct amount of maps
  • A few mutators
  • Only a few gametypes
  • Not that much choices in the menu interface to setup your preferences
  • Character customization
  • Doesn't at least equal the previous UT.
  • Bots available :)
  • "Tools" to make stuff... what basically is directly their Engine. It's not like Forge or else what would be some kind of "mutator creator" in UT3. Forge took extra time to be achieve, UE 3.0 don't, it's directly the Engine of the game.

For sure, if we compare UT3 to old FPS like Quake 3, hell it rocks.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well, compared to other FPS... UT3 is way behind them under the following perspective.
CoD4
  • Perks
  • Grades & experience points
  • Weapon upgrades

Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Great use of Experience points & grades
  • Unlock weapons through an innovative system

Halo 3
  • Grades & experience points + leveling up per gametypes

Battlefield 2142
  • Unlock items
  • Unlock Achievement
  • Get medals & grades with Exp Points (rank)

For sure, if we compare UT3 to old FPS like Quake 3, hell it rocks.

So liek you have just convinced me Halo 2 and UT3 are the only non-RPG games on your list... Would you like to know more?...

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
You can Customize your characters in UT3, does it make UT3 a RPG FPS Game, no.

RPG mean Role-playing-game.
Basically any game would fit.

If you basically have a Ladder system... it's like being level 30 in Team Slayer in Halo.
It's exactly the same thing.

To have an "Officer" grade is like being level 30 in "X" gametype.
1. One defines the time you played and you "experience".
2. The other defines your skills on a specific Gametype.
3. When the Player Overall Statistics would define you pretty much like the number 1, but in a way more accurate way.

Basically, UT3 is years behind. Counter-Strike is probably one of the oldest "RPG FPS" structured game.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If you create a next UT (or if you are making Halo 4), you do not plan to have less quality/quantity than your previous game. The fact that Epic build UE 3.0 isn't supposed to be an explanation of the lack of features.

Yeah, I agree about "features" and functionality. That part is lacking, in my opinion. I was just questioning your statement about content and comparing one game to two.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Lets not forget that a good amount of the content in Ut2k4 was **** and nobody used or played it. It was glued together mess of different parts of games that lacked harmony or structure.

UT3 streamlined the content so nearly all the maps and content are pretty decent and the art is coherent and of a high quality.

Even with UT3, only a handful of maps are ever played, so I'm not sure its such a important point.

If Epic 2k4'd this game and added twice the amount of content with new characters, weapons, maps, gametypes but kept the quality of the content the same and the streamlined visuals - I'd be incredibly impressed

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
The only point I wanted to point out and make shine was the fact that 10 000 games have DM, TDM, CTF and Vehicles. I was waiting for something more innovative like one or two other gametypes, not just mutators. With a few more options in the Menu Interface and a close-combat weapon that could perform "headshots" [an official Ripper Lite?]... I would be totally satisfied of a new UT3.

I'll hope to see that kind of stuff in an update or expansion. Maybe a next UT?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Mons was referring to the ranking system, because he doesn't realize that significance of rank doesn't mean higher level character development, that in a good system it can actually be a rating of ones skill, though usually ends up just being a show of how much someone plays a game.

The unlocks are usually balanced, and not like putting a shock rifle in your hands, when all the level ones have enforcers.

If anything, most of the equip upgrades are more like putting a 20% zoom on your shock rifle, and if you die, they can take it. Or maybe allowing your minigun a longer clip. Small stuff.

I try to give epic the benefit of the doubt with the whole "new engine thing" in missing a few things here and there, and so I hate to agree, but they did need to do a better job of starting where they left off and building as much of that old functionality into the new title as they did with the old. Almost to the point of porting it, and modifying it from there as opposed to a rebuild.

Or at least logging features better, and executing a better rebuild plan.... something...