What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Maps. Wide varieties of locations and themes (which in terms results in a wider variety of user-made maps). Also the amount of content would be welcome (even though it's not going to happen). Besides, I wanted to mention a 2k4 somehow :)

Add "UT Quality" as well. I found 75% of the maps from UT2k4 (including the entire BR package) to be pretty bad.

The characters are good as they are. No need of dwarves/nightmarish crap.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The UT3 characters are hardly dwarves. They remind me of the toughy folks from UT1, something which I wanted after seeing the dot-guys of UT2k4.

Last edited:

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
UC2-related stuffz.
Yes. That's exactly what I'd like in terms of a Single Player campaign, it's definitely a great way to bring back the sort of old-school style of the tournament while also managing to tell a story.

This would be my dream UT4.

You start off online with an assault rifle. You play enough to get enough cash to get training to buy something like a rocket launcher, and progress to the next level of deathmatches. The general idea is that
-You play with others the same level as you, initially with limited weapons, so that newbies can learn the weapons propperly, then you buy licenses to use the various game vehichles.

THe point of unlocks is to force new players to learn every weapon and appreciate every vehicle. This should not take long 3 days or a week at most of playing. Then you can be recruited, and paid, to play in team deathmatches and the team captain gets the spoils and has to pay his teammates, so that you have a sort of in game economy. Then you can own tracts of land which you fight over in Warfare rounds, again with two team captains picking teams, paying the players. You could also have leagues and tournaments, and whenever two players from the same league are on a server the same time, they can play out their fixture.

Once you've got enough cash, you can be a captain yourself, and when your turn comes on a server, you can challenge the other team's captain to a game, you pick teams, and fight over ownership of territory.

Add in a mix of custom weapon skins as you progress through levels, and go faster stripes(custom decals) on my manta with custom horns again as I progress, that would be perfect.

Failing the complex economy, just the horns, skins and go faster stripes would be enough.

The first thing I'd have would be endgame stats that gives rewards for the most accurate, most dammage, and whatever else, and that you unlock custom weapon and vehichle skins as you complete various achievements. You also get an in-game rank.

World in Conflict does this very well
http://demo.worldinconflict.com/us/

ILOVEYOU :)
Yes, yes and very yes on the MP front. I don't know about the rest of the community but that's DEFINITELY what would get me to play online, without a doubt. The possibilities with this type of thing are endless. For example, incorporating that kind of ranking system and economy with the character creation tool, you could get new armour as you advance in the ranks or buy new armour with the money you earn in matches. It's a very clever idea.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
I added the vote for the "expansion" make a true single player story like unreal 1 and add a tournament mode like any previous UT games
This not exclude the conquest mode I think we can add this gametype after all
The comeback of the assault mode, the bombing run, the dom from UT 2kX and UT 1, the ripper from UT 1, the Invasion and many other gametypes from the previous UT series.
They can add some other new gametypes and some special content too.

I don't know about if the new things must be limited to the FPS genre, but the Unreal engine have much special features, that they can add other game genres like a flight or space combat genre, RTS, genre RPG genre racing genre.
I think this can attract other kind of players and modders because the modules are ready, and many modes from the previous series tends to make some modes of other genres ...

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
GoW - November 2006
UT3 - November 2007
GoW 2 - November 2008
UT3.5 - November 2009?

Anyway what would you like to see in the next UT game? Is UT3's lack of player numbers because the gameplay isn't enticing enough or because the game isn't polished? If UT3 were released out of the box with all the features/fixes of patches 1.1-1.4 would it really affect the player numbers?

UT3 doesnt have player numbers because the game was released before it was finished and with some questionable problems and lotsa missing or broken features.
UT3 - the game itself really rocks! which i think is proven by pretty good numbers on the Ps3 and XB with ppl who never played UT before and dont have anything to compare it to.
Epic has already admitted they released the game in an "unpolished" state and that above anything else definitely accounts for the pc online #s.
lack of advertising, the poorly received 'demo' and release time didnt help either...
did I say the demo wasn't very good or representative of the game?

UT doesnt need to change directions. it just deserved the time, effort and attention put into the finishing touches and testing that a great game and franchise of its quality really desreves. it deserved 'when its done'!

(edit) p.s. What would help UT3.5 or UT4?
imnsho - Epic got the Game and Play exactly right, so...
Don't change anything.
But...
FIX whats broken.
Include the many Missing Features and Options.
Add 'achievements' or persistent awards for each gametype.
Real working stats for each gametype.
Add Social Networking. Make it so players want to achieve and play together online.

So in summary: Don't change anything. But Fix, Include & Add these features. ;)

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
UT working fully on steam on release. don't give me the "need to be online" line cause UT is an MP game.
at least with steam, the server browser would be good, accessible outside of the game, BU already has a group on steam...

or would you prefer keeping lamespy for the next opus ?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
UT working fully on steam on release. don't give me the "need to be online" line cause UT is an MP game.
at least with steam, the server browser would be good, accessible outside of the game, BU already has a group on steam...

or they could switch to Live! ... it's free for pc-gamers now and it is integrated tightly into the OS the game runs on for 99% of the audience anyway.
Given that they've already done so for GoW it won't be much of an issue.

// ---

I think Epic should look at what Carmack/Id Software is doing for Doom 4 :
John Carmack told us that Doom's single-player will be "balanced so that we never want to frustrate the player, you never want to make them do something where they're upset, pissed off at the game, whatever, which fundamentally means that you can't challenge them too much because there's a big trade-off there between coddling the player in a bubble of entertainment that moves through all this wonderful media, versus something where...only a subset of the people who buy games want a challenge."
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=203966

I think it's time for Epic to say goodbye to the Unreal-universe.
The existing community does not really want a sequel (they either want UT2kx or UT99) and everyone else would rather play something simple like Halo, Battlefield or CoD.

UT3 may be balanced, but it still has a learning-curve that is steeper than anything else out there in the market. There really is no way to fix that unless you get rid of all the things that make it 'Unreal' to begin with (the acrobatics, high speed and weapons).

Community ? I think that what people want is not a 'community (of friends)'.
It's more like easy access to easy to kill targets (so they can feel good about themselves without having to work for it) and free commercial quality content (so they don't have to spend any money or effort to extend the game).

Mods ? They're only useful as a career-building move and not as something to create for the fun of creation.

I think in the end it would be best for Epic to focus on GoW and the engine as a means of making money and then use the Unreal-universe as a fun hobby-project for those employees that want to poor their heart and soul into a game they would love to play. The worst choice for Epic would be to listen to what the current Unreal-community has to say about the game.

UnrealGrrl

Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
the UT3 characters are the best looking by far, very cool designs. i dont see how you can compare the old gfx of Unreal/UT with the more cartoonish look of UT2k3/4 with the UT3 look thats totally beyond what was possible with the earlier games...

as good as the UT3 models are, the male characters definitely have the "too thick" GoW look, kind of a cross between the Juggernauts and GoW charact ers which are way too wide...

aside from that - the models are very cool, great details and design and animations. i like 'em alot. Krall are scary sexy, Necris are cool and the female models rock (just need more variety).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Get Rid Of Gamespy (tm). GROG (tm).

UnrealGrrl

Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I think it's time for Epic to say goodbye to the Unreal-universe.
The existing community does not really want a sequel (they either want UT2kx or UT99) and everyone else would rather play something simple like Halo, Battlefield or CoD.

Thanks for speaking for everyone, but no. theres lots of ppl playing UT3 offline (as all UTs past), and obviously lots of fans that expected the game would get more deserving attention than it got and so ended up getting released before it was polished and finished which would pretty much kill any game. but hey look, UT3 is still alive... its not what it could have been or where it should be in online #s, but its still kickin, even if with 1 leg ;)
if QA, Marketing and those involved in green lighting UT3 going gold had really done their job, it would prob be kickin alot more axe now than it is, but thats history and Epic is still devoting alot of time to actively support UT and the franchise... that tellls me anyway that there will be more UT and I think Epic are the kinda guys that don't take a release that could have been alot better very well, i think theyre lookin to get another crack at this.

TF and BF etc are different games, and theres alot more of them than when UT hit the scene... its a different day in fps gaming and no use in comparing now to then. despite that fact, Epic couldve dont much better by UT3 as for when and how it got released.

UT3 may be balanced, but it still has a learning-curve that is steeper than anything else out there in the market. There really is no way to fix that unless you get rid of all the things that make it 'Unreal' to begin with (the acrobatics, high speed and weapons).

no, you DONT have to get around the higher learning curve at all. what they DO have to do is make the game polished, interesting and different enough that players WANT to take the time to learn... Social networking, polish and testing without robbing the exiting fanbase of what they are used to would be a good start.

Community ? I think that what people want is not a 'community (of friends)'.It's more like easy access to easy to kill targets (so they can feel good about themselves without having to work for it) and free commercial quality content (so they don't have to spend any money or effort to extend the game).

ummm no, there used to be a much larger "unreal community" out there, a mostly friendly and actively modding one. you remember, you contributed alot to it. sure, its ALOT smaller now but its still there. you just have to look past all the whiney complaining llamas that have just wanted a new version of UT with better graphics for the last 10 years...

Mods ? They're only useful as a career-building move and not as something to create for the fun of creation.

thats only true if you dont have fun making it. mods are the same as any art or creative project. you should only do it if you WANT to, not cause you think anyone is going to say Wow or Thank you. (cause they usually dont) getting a job? maybe slightly more likely as it is in music or other entertainment biz (but on a lil smaller scale)

The worst choice for Epic would be to listen to what the current Unreal-community has to say about the game.

you mean like what you just said? (unless you dont consider yourself part of the community anymore) :) i used to think you were rational Jafo...

jeez i shouldve saved these outbursts for my blog :eek: