What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I just hope Epic has learned from their mistakes. Releasing the game in the state it was in showed alot of ignorance on their part. As long as they understand why the game failed, I'm willing to give them another shot. Hell, just take UT99 and update the graphics and presto you have a platinum seller.

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
Hell, just take UT99 and update the graphics and presto you have a platinum seller.
Disagree.

Games need a lot more than good gameplay these days. Deep multiplayer features and even stuff like demorecording and match broadcasting have become standard expected features from top FPSs these days. The next UT's gotta have those out of the box.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I just hope Epic has learned from their mistakes. Releasing the game in the state it was in showed alot of ignorance on their part. As long as they understand why the game failed, I'm willing to give them another shot. Hell, just take UT99 and update the graphics and presto you have a platinum seller.
I doubt they'll not make the same mistake again.

Remember the game UT2k3? Bugged to all hell, the demo period was ridiculously short, I don't think anything changed from the demo to the final product. Though personally I liked 2k3 better than 2k4, but that's not the point, the point is that perhaps that is their mind set now. They release something then write off the first as a mistake, then do a re-release getting praise that everything has been fixed.

If there's a UT3.5/4 then my idea would fit the pattern. I hope I'm wrong. :/

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
I want to see it be a game designed with it's core PC audience in mind, and to not have it suffer from being designed for consoles.
Gears of War was designed completely with the console in mind. Yet it still plays incredibly well on the PC (whether you like the game or not). And that's despite the lack of options (and the dreadful Live! sign-up process).

One of the big reasons UT3 has suffered so much is because all the options they took out were actually useful, and some of them (like the no taunts option) were very much loved indeed.

Well, that and the forums are still full of people complaining bitterly about the game but not actually playing it. If we could use negativity as a power source the world's energy needs would be sorted.

(yes I know there are other reasons that the game is hated on, but I'm bored with all of them).

TrackMania United has one of the best "buddy" systems I've come across. On the very first screen you can see a list of your buddies and whether they are on-line or not, and whether they are connected to a server. It's immediate.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Captain obvious to the rescue :shake:
I know the problem very well. Thank you for reminding it to me for the ### time.

Then maybe you shouldn't read these types of threads if they bother so damn much.

The UT series started out as a PC series, I'd like to see it go back to its roots. If it bothers you that I answered the question that the thread posed, then too damn bad.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'm reading this thread because there's a lot of interesting posts, not the meaningless "this game is consolized" ones.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I'm reading this thread because there's a lot of interesting posts, not the meaningless "this game is consolized" ones.

Well, if Epic does listen to its community, then we really need to drive home the fact that we will not buy another console port.

Change happens because people make noise.

They got the gameplay right, and I think they know that. UT3 had amazing gameplay.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I just don't get how it is a console port. Sure, the UI may be rather barren of options we had in previous UT games, but the game itself is as hardcore as any other PC only game.
ee

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, if Epic does listen to its community, then we really need to drive home the fact that we will not buy another console port.

Change happens because people make noise.

They got the gameplay right, and I think they know that. UT3 had amazing gameplay.
The thing is, they've been hearing it for NINE. MONTHS. NON. STOP.

I think they get it by now!

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Without bitching about this being a 'console' port,

I think UT3 suffered because it took too much stuff away!! Some of it was bad stuff (Dodge Jump, Crazy Map Scale, Weird Character Models), some of it was very good stuff (UI, Online Features).

They took away and didn't add anything to replace it!

Even though dodge jump broke the gameplay, it added to it and made it a little more interesting. It had to go, but more new gameplay could have been added.

It feels a little bare!

Epic's next move should be to ADD and ADD and ADD until this game is crammed full of innovative features, content and gameplay that my eyes bleed.

The most fun thing about this game are Necris Vehicles because they're the only thing that is kinda new!!

Last edited:

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
I never used the word consolized.

My point is that the focus should be on the community that made these games what they are. When you start making maps smaller so they fit in a console's memory footprint, I'd say things are being changed, in a negative way, to favor the console versions.

While it may not be a port, in the classic sense of the word, what is the difference when you're designing the game with those console restrictions in mind?

I remember reading about how Conquest was supposed to have these HUGE maps with enormous player counts. What happened?

Mangopork

Jul 28, 2008
Tone down specular highlights so my eyes do not bleed and more systems can run it.

Options to tone down graphic effects further so more players can run the game (check valve's hardware survey...)

Make the player models larger in proportion to archetecture because shooting fast moving blue (or red) dots stopped being fun in 1989.

Bring back ALL (yes ALL) of the weapons, vehicles, content, and gameplay features of the previous UT, UC, ChaosUT, and Unreal2 games.
If this insane amount of value alone does not sell the game like mad, nothing will. Consider that the mod community has tried to do this with every game iteration...

Make all of these options mutators/server configurable.

Stop using cheesy voices - hire better voice actors for taunts.

Larger player count.

Make weapons *exactly* like UT1.

In other words, make an ACTUAL upgrade, not a downgrade with prettier graphics, vastly unused engine features, and two new vehicles + fake campaign....

Last edited:

IronMan(Erie)

May 31, 2005
Erie, Pa
I voted for an expansion.
I personally am tired of all the fps games with classes/ranks/perks/unlocks/etc.
I want a game that's easy to learn and a level playing field for the casual gamer to just play without being totally overwhelmed by players who unlocked everything in the arsenal while I have a lousy pistol. I don't need a carrot dangling in front of me to keep playing a game. This is all I see these rewards as just a way to keep the people playing as well as brag points. "So you are a general? So what?" Plus I find classes very limiting. I'll take Rambo style and use any gun I want and play anyway I desire.
Quake 3 and UT(99) were awesome because of their simplicity while allowing skilled players to really shine. And you didn't need to unlock the rocket launcher or damage amp. I just hope that the Quake and UT series never adopt these gimmicks. (well ET:QW already did)
I'm just ranting. :mad:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
While it may not be a port, in the classic sense of the word, what is the difference when you're designing the game with those console restrictions in mind?
Where have they ended up doing that? And don't say the UI this time :p
I remember reading about how Conquest was supposed to have these HUGE maps with enormous player counts. What happened?
I dunno, maybe reality settled in? Do you think that someone would be able to get 32 players together to play 6 hours of maps to see who wins? I don;t.

Ut has always been the kind of game you can drop into for 45 minutes and then quit without feeling like you've really missed anything. Games spanning across several maps with gajillions of players just doesn't fit into that formula.
Epic's next move should be to ADD and ADD and ADD until this game is crammed full of innovative features, content and gameplay that my eyes bleed.

The most fun thing about this game are Necris Vehicles because they're the only thing that is kinda new!!
What kinds of things would you add to the gameplay, then?

The obvious problem is that each addition needs to be carefully playtested and balanced or you end up with the dodge jump and awful map scale again (as a metaphorical comparison).

Personally, I find the gameplay in UT3 as fun as ever. If the UI were polished and Gamespy were abolished I wouldn't have any complaints at all.