Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

I have also been working on the other nebula, but i did revert to the version i already had, as the new one looked plain horrible lol. But as its going now, am pretty close to completelly finish the package and have all textures S3TC. And because of that, there also will be a small update for StarShip package to synchronise the files.

Diehard

Well i got almost all textures done for XpbFX package except for oné texture, which i will start on tomorrow. And if do that texture than the entire package has been turned S3TC. So with a little luck i might release the package on wednesday providing i keep in good health condition.

The package will also be released as Extreme End which is around 150Mb i believe. And this is also a package where the Extreme End will kick in, mainly on all the celestial stuff like planets and nebulas. Which means that High End users that dont use the Extreme End packages, still should try use it.

And its for these type of textures i developed the Extreme End textures, so even if you are a High End user you should try if this particular package works for you.

Diehard

The very first maps that I will test out the new XpbFX package, will be DM-Phobos & DOM-MetalDream.

That was my proposal as well :)

But there is some delay, i havent been able to work on that last texture because one other texture in the JWSky package was being a total bitch......

I simply couldnt get it done properly and i have been working on it for 2 days straight. But it looks like i solved the problem, and i am happy how it looks now. Which means the last texture for XpbFX package will be worked on tomorrow.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I was just thinking about something after reading over some parts of this thread and the one at oldunreal forums. You're talking about trying to synchronize the DecayS textures (and some others) with those that surface in other UT packages and I was thinking maybe I should let you know about all the S3TC texture packages (at least the ones that appear on CD2 as those file names) that appear in custom maps. I've been keeping track for a while now. You might already know about a lot of them, but maybe not all. Would you like to know this, at least from the 1,000 plus maps I've downloaded and installed over the years? I could include the date, file size and custom map name as well. The only data I won't have is all the textures from these files that might be included in the UNR file.

Last edited:

Diehard

I am not really sure what you mean.

But for testing, i normally use the stock maps for testing. Its only on a very rare occasion i check the textures in custom maps. Mostly that happens if a texture cannot be found in a stock map, or its not being used good enough to be able to see it properly in a stock map. But in reality i am probably not too far off, if i say i never saw more than 25% of my textures ingame :hmm: Simply because i dont know where they surface. Only if there is a real need to see them ingame, i go look for them. But that is kinda rare, and only aplies to textures that might look weird ingame if they arent tweaked and checked.

But as said, i am not really sure what you want to offer to me. But in case you ment the S3TC textures that are sitting in custom packages, than its simple, i dont have the time to go do those as well. It would add a truckload of work for me, and i am already buzy enough with the stock packages themselves.

But i got the feeling i misinterpreted you....

Diehard

Releases are a bit delayed, as i am trying to attempt to crete these textures as well:

Lnd2_1.gif

But i did encounter a problem i already was afraid off. The textures are non masked, but ingame mostly they are masked. And if i add them as non masked, than they stay non-masked ingame. The only way to solve that is, to add them masked with the help of an Alpha channel.

But there is a risk involved. If the textures are used non masked it can punch a hole to the universe and create a monster of a HOM. But seeing the fact it only works if add them masked, there is no way around it. I tested it on a bunch of Unreal stock maps like Harobed, Nyleve and such, and it all seems ok.

But on custom maps (or other stock UT maps) the story might be different, and i cannot predict if it leads to problems on those maps. For that reason the downloads will be split in a masked version and a package that lacks the updates.

Lookig at the textures ingame, than High End is by far insuficient to give any real detail, so this package really does apply to have it sitting on your computer as Extreme End. Of course i will release the Low End and High End versions as well, but needs to be said, they are scalled super, super, super enlarged in most maps. Effectivelly this is an Extreme End must have.

Thats of course aside the fact i need to make them. But ill try next days to see if i can get to a few advanced Beta models for release.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Now I'm confused. So, the masked version is the one we want if we want to risk custom maps being screwed up, correct?

Also, yes, I was talking about any custom maps that might contain a separate file with the same name as any of those files on CD2. I don't think there are that many of them from the list of maps I presently have downloaded, but the more I think about it the more I realize it probably will not matter much anyway.....just a thought I had yesterday.:cool:

...anyway, I just checked real quick and only these 5 files appear in any of my custom maps and it only effects 5 custom maps that I have: Ancient.utx, city.utx, Egypt.utx, Lian-X.utx and SkyCity.utx.

Last edited:

Diehard

Now I'm confused. So, the masked version is the one we want if we want to risk custom maps being screwed up, correct?

Yep, that pretty much sums it up, but it could go bad on any map where the textures are the very last textures before the universe. So if they are in front of any other texture than it should be fine, but i asume if they are the last texture, they likelly will punch a hole to the universe.

But i guess we simply have to try and see how often it goes bad, and maybe there will be no problems at all.

CSLA*Jackal

Mar 5, 2009
Slovakia
csla.soth.sk
Hey guys.

After a few months I've come back to check out if there's anything new about the UT crosshair blur/size fix.

Any update to this issue ? (which would be client-side).

I can't believe there's no fix with the great boom of widescreen panels.

Thanks,
Jackal

CSLA*Jackal

Mar 5, 2009
Slovakia
csla.soth.sk
Well, the original UT dot is quite unusable, extra large and blurry. If the target is just a little bit far it is impossible to aim for the head.

I've made my own dot, which is only 1px, but its still not so good.

I'll buy a CRT just for UT probably :\

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Post a screenshot so we can see what the problem is.

Diehard

Hey guys.

After a few months I've come back to check out if there's anything new about the UT crosshair blur/size fix.

Any update to this issue ? (which would be client-side).

I can't believe there's no fix with the great boom of widescreen panels.

Thanks,
Jackal

Please keep that in the tweaking tread....:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=160250&page=20

As for the release, i have been relative ok, so i could work on the textures, and the delay is simply to blame to the growing amount of updated packages. I pretty much finished up the entire SkyBox package except for the nebula texture that needs an update as well to make it fit the Extreme End version.

Here are 2 comparising shots from the mountains:

OLD:

NEW:

There are also mountains in the ShaneDay and ShaneSky packages, but for this update they are excluded. And the reason is simple, those also contain snow, which is not doable with the technique i am using to create the ones above. That is unless i found some bypass for it, but for now they wont be there.