Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

Yep, its invisible, while i know it was visible before the update as i checked that map to test the signs ingame.

Ill have a look whats going on, but it is odd because i didnt change anything on that texture. So i kinda hope the mergertool made an accidental error rather than the new mergertool is incapable of processing masked textures under certain circumstances.

I am gonna re-save the texture with proper masking and process the package again to see if it solves the problem.

Last edited:

Diehard

Ok, this kinda sucks. From the looks, its an error in the mergertool. If i process the package with the old tool everything is fine, but if i use the new mergertool the textures are completelly gone. On itself the problem is easelly solved by processing the package with the old tool. And that is no problem because the package doesnt have procedural textures in them.

For the record, none of the masked textures in StarShip package are S3TC, which means all masked textures in that package likelly have the same problem. It also could mean that all other non S3TC but masked textures in all the other packages for this release might have that same problem.

I will have to do some testing, to see if that is the case. In the meantime ill see if i can release a temporary update for StarShip in the next days.

P.S. my main monitor died on me a couple a days ago, and this is affecting all my work since i badly need a dual monitor setup for my work. On top of that i just found out i cannot run Unreal fullscreen for whatever reason. I just get a complete black screen.

I am just saying this because it does slow down everyhting i do right now....

Last edited:

Diehard

Just did a test with the SkyBox package to see if the same effect happens there, if i process the package without S3TC textures, and when i open up Nyleve in Unreal, the mountains are gone alright.

So its a mergertool error alright, and its pretty much 100% certain it is present in all the updated packages in case of non S3TC masked textures. Ill gently ask Casey from the dev. team on Old Unreal to have a look at the tool :)

And ill see if i can create an "emergency" update in the meantime. I will have a look at the other packages, but accidentelly almost all masked textures specifically WERE updated, except for StarShip. So it might be the only affected package.

Diehard

Just to keep everybody posted, my health went down together with my monitor, and for the moment i am unable to pull anything off. So the update has to wait till i feel a bit better.

In the meantime 2 other bug apeared that also needs my attention. One may have been the same bug, but needs investigation to confirm that. The other is, that on certain maps, the clouds all of a sudden dont seem to tile anymore. That too needs testing to see whats going on. Though i am not really sure about the how and what, Smirftsch from OldUnreal apearently noticed this error a while ago? ? But he is doing some testing to see if the renderers need an update.

But on my personal end, everything did stop due to my health, so i am just filling my time by posting all over the world.

Diehard

No, there are 2 other issues that needed attention, and we are working on that.

One hasnt been investigated at all at the moment, but i will do hopefully in the comming days. That error showed clouds that didnt tile for whatever reason. Smirftsch from OldUnreal is looking into that, as it might be a render issue. And ill do the actual investigation next days. Its also unclear if this error has anything to do with this update.

The second error i am working on, and i am setting up some tests. And it might have to do with this update. In this error the waterfall can disapear. The waterfall is located in the HubEffects package, and to fix this is alot more complicated. For Starship i could simply use the old mergertool, but HubEffects will only work with the new mertool because it contains a procedural texture in the first place of the package.

That error seems to be very rare, and most waterfalls are visible. So i need to find out why the waterfall can disapear under what circumstances. Actually both remaining errors seem to be rare, so it wont affect playing that much, which is why its not to bad. But need to be fixed of course.

Diehard

So it's OK to update as instructed a couple weeks ago, but use the new Starship High_End and hold off on HubEffects for now?

Thats odd, i already gave a reply to that question, but its not there (anymore?), weird.........

But no, i still would advise using the HubEffects package, because the glitch only apears if the waterfall is added masked to the map. But if the mapper also choose to have it translucent, the texture will apear. And sheer accident or not, it seems most waterfalls simply will show up, and have translucent also set to True. All together it was only reported on oné map, so its rare. Too rare to not use the package. So download and install it, and hopefully Casey from the OldUnreal Dev. team will come up with a final solution to the problem.

Thats that, and now the reason i wanted to post:

Still not too super well, and still terrible pains in my back, but i am a bit better. And today i received 2 new hardrives, which are badly needed, as i could not even save the smallest texture anymore.

I got 2 brandnew WD 1 terrabyte drives, which in reality will give me 1 terrabyte of new space, while the other terrabyte will serve as backup. re-aranging all files, formatting the drives, creating the backups, will probably take a couple a days.

But after that i finally will be able to work on the textures again, without having to worry on the HD space too much. And i already told Creavion that i likelly go work on the NaliCast package. That package is only(well relativelly spoken) 153 textures big, so its doable to try finish the package.

Innitially i planned to go work on the Starship package, and ill see if i can work on that package at the same time. The Starship package is widelly used in several maps because it contains all textures that are used for the ISV-Kran spacecraft. And theres alot of ISV kran maps, so that makes it important. But it is oné of the most complicated packages where theres tons of textures that contain a horrible amount of tiny details. And those details will go consume alot of time.

But i will start out with the NaliCast package, and see what comes out of that. Luckelly i already had alot of base textures that i worked on 2 years ago. So its time to dust those off and see where they can be used.

On a sidenote, the NaliCast package also contains a few rockfaces. And if i want to complete the package, i will have to do those as well, which than wil also reflect on the other rockafaces that can be found in other packages. But no promise there, as i am really poor in doing rockfaces.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just did the same thing and installed all the new HighEnd and recommended ExtremeEnd tex for UT and it looks great! The skies look wonderful and you can sure tell the new tex from the old tex at the bottom in Curse][.:)

seeker3

Mar 8, 2010
Abbotsford BC
Hi everyone,I'm glad I found this forum,it's great! I'm hoping someone can help me.
I play a lot of Unreal and UT but mostly single player and I'm wondering if these textures will show up and how they will affect mods like ONP,Xidia,etc and also Unreal maps in UT? I'm asking because I noticed a lot were for DM maps.Any clarification is appreciated and thanks.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
They'll show up. Depending on where the original textures in ANY map for the game have been applied.
So get them if you like lots of eye candy, I guess.

seeker3

Mar 8, 2010
Abbotsford BC
Thanks again and yeah I usually play SP 'cause my old man reflexes can't keep up with the young-un's online:) LOL But I must say that even after ten years of playing many different games old and new Unreal and UT are still my favorites,I think the music and atmosphere are awesome! Also the community is so helpful and prolific,I think it's wonderful.I can hardly wait for Residual Decay to be released to get Jones back in action!!:)

Diehard

Hi Seeker3 and welcome to the forums. And i am just backing up Uberserker on what he said. And indeed, if the textures that have been turned high res are used in a map you will see them, regardless the map or gametype. If they have been used in a map, they will show up. And the one map has alot of high res textures the other may completelly lack them.

But theres already 1.5 gigabyte of updates, so more and more theres a bigger chance of seeing them than you dont see them. And its an ongoing project, so you should keep track of it, and new releases will be posted here. And at this moment i am working on a small update for the PlayrShp package and a larger update for the NaliCast package.

But even though you say you dont play online, if you play both Unreal and UT, make still sure to download them per game, and not accidentelly mix them. Apart from all that, i hope you like them :)

P.S. I dont know about UT, but Unreal has still a pretty large online COOP community where you can frag along with the others instead of fighting them. And even though your "old" the cool part about the games is, everybody runs just as fast, and you dont need to catch breath ;)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
There are UT coop and monsterhunt servers which are pretty much fun also.

seeker3

Mar 8, 2010
Abbotsford BC
Thanks guys you are most helpful:)Three other questions: What are the 3 master textures for? I'm not 100% sure LOL. Also what opengl.dll (I downloaded version 3.6)should I use and will they affect the mods like ONP or Xidia in any way? And the multimedia update:should I install it? or is it not really necessary.I will probably have more questions as they come to mind,if that's okay? I don't want to be a pest and I'm hoping I can be of help to someone also:D