Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
which version? the japanese one with subtitles, the version they recorded separately with all japanese actors speaking english or a dubbed one?

didn't know there were more than one... it was the one with Japanese actors speaking very broken english with Quentin Terintino.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Mongol - by Sergei Bodrov
9/10, nice. The movie isn't really realistic, and yet it still follows Genghis Khan's history remarkably well.
Totally unlike Mel Gibson's Braveheart which takes huge liberties from the historical events. (I still liked it though)

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
didn't know there were more than one... it was the one with Japanese actors speaking very broken english with Quentin Terintino.

That's the one I too saw.
Tarantino mimicking the broken english of the japanese actors was hilarious. But I still want a decently dubbed ver. of this movie. Half the time I was left to guessing as to what was being said... which sucks since the movie is fun.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland

Just got back from seeing it. It was pretty true to the comic book Punisher, way more-so than the stupid Thomas Jane abortion. There's not a big melodramatic origin story and crap, the movie gets straight down to business. Ray Stevenson plays the part very well and there is a bit of humor sprinkled in there.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Just got back from seeing it. It was pretty true to the comic book Punisher, way more-so than the stupid Thomas Jane abortion. There's not a big melodramatic origin story and crap, the movie gets straight down to business. Ray Stevenson plays the part very well and there is a bit of humor sprinkled in there.

Very good to hear that. I myself am going to catch it tomorrow afternoon. I remember seeing that gif a couple months ago of him blowing some poor shmucks head clean off. Is that still intact?

Iron Archer

Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Very good to hear that. I myself am going to catch it tomorrow afternoon. I remember seeing that gif a couple months ago of him blowing some poor shmucks head clean off. Is that still intact?

Oh yeah. It's brutal but in the context of the movie it's just funny. I originally made the animated gif and put it in the animated gif post.

Oddly enough, the movie doesn't come off as gratuitous as say, Steven Seagal movies. You will absolutely love what they do to counter the whole rash of parkour/freerunning that keeps popping up in everything from Bond to Die Hard.

here it is again...dude in the background is like WTF?!
punisher.gif

btw granny even ends up like the guy in the chair

Last edited:
Um...yeah

I'm hear to say that everything Iron Archer just said is bullcrap. If the Thomas Jane movie was AVP, then this piece of garbage is AVP2. Really, it's that bad. We're talking Uwe Boll quality hear. I couldn't believe the stuff the characters were saying. Never before have so many badly used accents been in one movie. I swear, the script sounded like it was written by Peter Chimera.

Yeah, it's very gory. But it's like...stupid gory. Like Evil Dead 2....only the funny was unintentional. I was looking forward to it because I really liked Ray Stevenson in Rome. But seriously, don't listen to Iron Archer. Listen to me. Go watch it if you want a comedy because this movie is only good for laugh.

The guy who plays the main villain...ugh. Just....what the **** were they thinking?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Um...yeah

I'm hear to say that everything Iron Archer just said is bullcrap. If the Thomas Jane movie was AVP, then this piece of garbage is AVP2. Really, it's that bad. We're talking Uwe Boll quality hear. I couldn't believe the stuff the characters were saying. Never before have so many badly used accents been in one movie. I swear, the script sounded like it was written by Peter Chimera.

Yeah, it's very gory. But it's like...stupid gory. Like Evil Dead 2....only the funny was unintentional. I was looking forward to it because I really liked Ray Stevenson in Rome. But seriously, don't listen to Iron Archer. Listen to me. Go watch it if you want a comedy because this movie is only good for laugh.

The guy who plays the main villain...ugh. Just....what the **** were they thinking?

aww... thought the girl who did green street hooligans could pull off a more than decent punisher movie.

aww... thought the girl who did green street hooligans could pull off a more than decent punisher movie.

I was hoping it was going to be good too. And after the opening credit sequence I got the impression that it might actually be a good movie...

...then of course we meet the villains and they start speaking. And speaking. A majority of the characters are mob people and cops....and the New York accents had me laughing hysterically. I'm serious, when the first mob guy started talking, I thought he was making a joke. But he wasn't. Then there's even a Jamacain guy who...for some reason...sounds Scottish. But when you couple this is the Laugh-Till-You-Crap dialogue...oh my. The things these people say to each other...Oh man. Just wait until the main villain informs his associates that his new name is "Jigsaw". The twenty or so people who were in the theater laughed after that for a few minutes. In fact that's what they were doing for most of the movie. When even the hoodrats are ridiculing the screen, you know you have a problem.

The plot is absurd. Everything that happens is stupid, and when you have villains that talk and act like Ace Ventura...Wow. Say what you will about the other Punisher movie, at least that one had a halfway decent revenge story woven into the fabric of it. This movie only exists to show gore.

And the production quality looks really crappy (they put it all into the violence but seemed to spend it all on Generic Gore Mart) Despite what some reviews are saying, the movie looks very outdated as far as special effects are concerned. The gore is on par with something like Freddy VS Jason, with CGI bloodsprouts that at times look stupid. And to over-emphasis the violence, they use a library of what sounds like the gib sound stock from Solder of Fortune 2, and throughout the whole movie the volume on these sounds are turned way up so they don't sync with anything. Even when one character unwraps gauze around a sewn up surgury wound, we hear this ridiculous gorey mush sound that sounds like the doctor is handling lamb guts.

So the violence doesn't deliver, and since that's the only reason this movie exists...meh.

This is the second worst movie of 2008.

Last edited:

Iron Archer

Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Ok Mister_Prophet, you movie buff you. Where did I say it was GREAT movie? Hmm.. nowhere. You might try and actually consider reading what people post instead of just going "huh huh Iron Archurrrrr... " like the rest of your cronies do. This is a straight up comic book movie, but please take a moment to consider the source material. The Dark Knight is frankly far from being a comic book movie. Punisher War Zone is comfortable in using the source material. I have to laugh at your insistence that it would have somehow ended up any other way, considering the books this movie is based on.

To me, the movie is good in a Grindhouse kinda way, and Massawyrm from Aintitcoolnews.com goes into why

First things first, Punisher War Zone is not GOOD. Oh, **** no. It is a stiflingly stupid mess of a film that flings itself repeatedly headlong into a brick wall of absurdity. If you’re one of those guys crawling out of their mother’s basement, wearing a Punisher t-shirt and carrying two prop sub machine guns drooling over how awesome a movie this could really be, this movie might upset you a little. If you lay awake at night dreaming of how Hollywood could make a truly incredible Punisher film if only they listened to you and pulled the movie right out of your head, you might come to curse the name Lexi Alexander. Hell, if you’ve so much as photo shopped your head onto the Punisher’s body and used it as an avatar over on Superherohype, then you are gonna **** yourself with disappointment when you finally see this. Because let me tell you something, Hollywood may never make a serious, real, honest to god Punisher movie.

Lexi Alexander sure didn’t. And you know what? I’m glad she didn’t.

The Punisher is a relic of a bygone era. A product of his time, he began his comic career as a Spiderman villain. An unstable Vietnam vet with an unending grudge against criminals, Frank Castle emerged with his own comic during the rise of the anti-hero in the early to mid 80’s alongside such luminaries as Wolverine and Batman’s reinvention as The Dark Knight. But unlike Bruce Wayne or Logan, Frank Castle wasn’t multilayered or in any way deep. He was a psychopath - a deranged, ****ed up killer who lost his family in an act of random violence and in turn became the boogeyman for criminals in New York City. And like the popular boogiemen of the time - Freddy, Jason and Michael Meyers – the best part of watching Frank’s adventures wasn’t to see why he went after certain guys or what their backstory was. It was to see how he was going to kill the next guy and what clever, inventive, devilishly brutal way he was going to go about doing it.

So yeah, as a kid, I ****ing loved him.

But a few years ago they put out a Punisher video game that kind of changed the way I looked at him. The cover proudly proclaimed there was something like 100 different ways to punish the guilty – and then challenged you to find them all. The picture was of Frank holding a guy under a drill press, and for a second I though “Awesome! This is gonna kick ass,” only to begin to wonder “Why isn’t there a Nightmare on Elm Street game in which you run around slaughtering teenagers with 100 different ways to punish the kids of Elm Street?” Because that’s all this is. I know, I know. “These guys are guilty! They’re bad guys! It’s okay to delight in watching their slaughter.” It sure is. I love a good slasher movie, myself. But it’s impossible to pretend nowadays that this is anything but that.

It’s not the 80’s anymore. Batman has substance and is conflicted. Wolverine has substance and is conflicted. The Punisher? He’s a cartoon.

And that’s exactly how Lexi Alexander sees him. She doesn’t take this movie seriously for a second. Her approach is identical to that of Paul Verhoeven on Robocop and especially Starship Troopers. This isn’t a movie glorifying The Punisher. This is a film with its tongue placed firmly in cheek, subtly making fun of him every chance it gets. AND I LOVE IT FOR THAT. Not because I think the Punisher is deserving of mockery, but because Alexander gets it. She sees Frank for what he is and set out to make a glorious, deliciously fun romp through his grime covered universe. And in doing so she actually managed to make the most faithful, spot on adaptation of the comic we are likely ever to see.

There are exactly three things she gets right in this that no one will dispute. The first is that, for the first time in history, someone has made a movie in which the Punisher actually shows up. Not that ***** Thomas Jane version. Not Dolph Lundgren and his silly traipsing through the sewers on a motorcycle. THE PUNISHER. When Ray Stevenson first appears in the dark holding a burning flare – you see him. You know it’s him. When he speaks, you hear Frank Castle. Not some lame facsimile. This is one cold, brutal son of a bitch who is going to kill every mother ****er in the room. And then he does.

The second thing she gets right is the origin. Not only does Frank Castle look and sound like he should – his origin is intact. This is not a sequel to the last film. Lexi took a fantastic approach to the last film and said **** that piece of ****. She went back to the well. There isn’t a single shred of the last movie’s storyline in this. Franks family died in random gang violence. In New York City. And he lives underground where he is helped by a bevy of characters from straight out of the comic book. Comic book fans will love the attention to detail.

And lastly, she made this bloody as ****. This movie doesn’t play around. The second the **** goes down, The Punisher starts punishing. Guys get decapitated, grenades blow off limbs, bullets rip bloody chunks out of people. And heads…explode…kind of a lot. This thing is soaked in blood from the very first moments of the film until the very end. At times it has this whole Robocop meets Story of Ricky thing going on. He punches through a guy’s head for ****s sake. It’s just silly.

And really, that’s the core of this film. It is camp. Deliberate camp that doesn’t feel overly self-aware. I mean, when a guy gets hit square in the chest with a grenade and just plum vanishes in a puff of smoke on what is OBVIOUSLY a soundstage, you know that Alexander isn’t being serious. The dialog is unspeakable, but often howl-inducing. Just about every actor in the film chews up scenery like they were told it was craft services. And almost every set is a gaudy soundstage drenched in neon. There are just scenes of such absurdity – up to and including Frank walking across the street, in plain view of pedestrians, with guns holstered all over his body – that you can’t for a moment take this seriously. It is gloriously over the top, a hilarious film that perfectly gets The Punisher right while never for a moment taking him seriously. Hell, from the moment Seinfeld’s Newman walks in to sell Frank guns (You can almost hear him say “Hey jerry, guess what I got”) to the Dockers commercial flashbacks of his family life, this movie will make you piss yourself with laughter.

And I love the **** out of it. Like I said, it’s not good. But it’s fun, it’s gory and often times it is quite inventive. It never gets boring and it’s never so bad it hurts. It is always so bad it’s good. This is a midnight movie for folks who love MIDNIGHT MOVIES. Vern is gonna lose his mind over this. The beer-and-buddies crowd is gonna have a field day. And make sure when and if you do go to take a friend to lean over and crack wise with. But don’t take this seriously. For a second. The hardcore Punisher fans? They’re gonna hate the hell out of this. They’re gonna piss vinegar and spit blood screaming about how Hollywood needs to finally take the Punisher seriously. They might even be deluded enough to say that the previous effort was the only good Punisher film. And they would be wrong.

They’re gonna hate this. Unless they’re in on the joke. Like you.

Last edited:
Ok Mister_Prophet, you movie buff you. Where did I say it was GREAT movie? Hmm.. nowhere. You might try and actually consider reading what people post instead of just going "huh huh Iron Archurrrrr... " like the rest of your cronies do.

Cronies? :con:
You'll have to explain that one to me. I have cronies now?

And I did read what you wrote. You did not say it was a great movie. But you suggested it was good, and I happen to disagree. I'm saying it's bad.

This is a straight up comic book movie,

No. It's a straight up slasher movie with a comic book character as the main protagonist. And it's bad.

but please take a moment to consider the source material. The Dark Knight is frankly far from being a comic book movie. Punisher War Zone is comfortable in using the source material. I have to laugh at your insistence that it would have somehow ended up any other way, considering the books this movie is based on.

Okay. Have you actually read a Punisher comic? This piece of crap wasn't honoring any source material. If anything it's taking a complex character and turning him into a gimmick. I don't know why you're bringing up Dark Knight in your argument, but if you want to compare them, fine. TDK is an adaptation of Batman that focused more on the themes of the source material than the actual stories. And it worked. Punisher Warzone just focused on the violence. Instead of trying to cross over any significant theme they instead made a slasher vehicle. And it's bad.

I wasn't expecting a good Punisher movie. I really had no expectations. It was a Friday night and I wanted to watch something moderately violent and action packed and I figured this was a good way to go. I mean it's the third time they've tried, right? But this?

To me, the movie is good in a Grindhouse kinda way

If I want to watch a Grindhouse movie, I'll watch a Grindhouse movie. Not a comicbook movie that is watered down into an oversimplified B movie. The Thomas Jane Punisher wasn't perfect, but it was lightyears better than this. Hell, even the Dolph version was better. Grindhouse movies aren't trying to be anything other than Grindhouse movies. This movie is trying to be a comic-book movie, and as a gore flick it's pretty weak as well. And on top of that, there's even a moment in the movie where Punisher tries to preach morals. Bad.

----------

I thought this movie was entertaining for all the wrong reasons. There was no in-joke to be had. The jokes were unintentional, and the intentional comedy was stupid. People watch Evil Dead 2 for gory comedy, because they know what to expect. This was billed as a movie to restore grit and mature violence back into the Punisher Film series. It failed. Saying "it was supposed to be something else" after the fact does not save the movie. It isn't working for M. Night, it ain't working here. I also don't get the excuse that because a movie is supposed to be stupid, I'm supposed to like it. What?

BAD! But don't take my word for it. I encourage everyone to watch it and form their own opinions. I will admit that it wasn't as bad as Meet The Spartans.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Just got back from seeing Punisher WarZone. Verdict is 2 sided

For gore would be a solid 8/10

For the movie itself a 5/10. Dialog was half assed, the Jamaican did sound like a Scottish man half the time, and they went a little overboard on the "squishy" effects. In a way I liked the previous Punisher more as far as a movie is concerned, but Ray Stevenson pulls off the character pretty top notch.

Sunshine - 7.5/10

I caught this about an hour ago. I'm a big Danny Boyle fan, and this one eluded me for a while. Really slick space mission story, and it's great to know that people can still do these kinds of movies and make them stand apart from others in the genre.

I did think it turned a bit formulaic towards the end, and overall there was a big sense of predictability. But a lot of scenes really get deep into that whole unnerving space calamity vibe, where something unexpected goes wrong and people are suddenly thrust into frantic scenarios. Those were the best parts of it. It was also nice to see the concept of temperature come into play here, too. Lot of really cool "ice/fire" dangers. The score was the most memorable thing for me.

Solid movie, but most of the characters I thought were pretty uninteresting. Besides Cillian, the guy who always had sunburn, and the Human Torch, everyone else kind of had that "I'm here as well" feel.

The most memorable parts for me were when Cillian comes to the realization that their is a "fifth" passenger and the whole payload sequence on the cube. I also thought the salvage operation on the Icarus 1 was pretty cool. First time I can remember skin dust in a space movie. I did find the "blur" effects with the burn-victim villain at the end distracting, though. In fact I though Boyle could have done without the clever editing/camera effects in this one.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
28 Days Later - 8.5/10

Probably one of the best "zombie" movies ever made, I love that the "zombies" has the ability to run. Well, very good plot, good acting. The sequel is pretty good aswell, but not quite as good as this one.

Se7en - 9/10

I'm a big fan of David Fincher, I love the dark setting he uses in his movies.
The actors are great and the ending is perfect!

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Die welle - 9/10

Never heard about the film, we went to the cinema and just thought "hey lets try a German movie for a change". It kept me pinned from beginning to the end and left us discussing the content for hours afterwards. Based on the book The Wave that is based on the true story about a Californian teacher that tried to teach his students about autocracy back in -69 and it all went to hell. The fact that this is in German and that it deals with the nazi legacy makes this film even more interesting. I like it since it doesn't lecture the viewer like American movies always do, you just follow the characters and make up your own mind about whats going on.

Trailer. (could not find subtitled sorry)

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
Twilight:

Acting - 0/10
Effects - 1/10
Plot - It involves a girl falling in love with an emo vampire who stalks her. Clearly a 10/10.
Preposterosity - 11/10

Overall - o_O