Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) - 5/10

I'll say this; the movie does start off somewhat interestingly. The events leading up to the "first contact" and the sequence itself were very well done I thought. But what we have here is a case of a movie losing steam right after a decent first half-hour and getting progressively blander until a ridiculous climax ensues.

For those reading, yes; it's like I Am Legend all over again.

It's a remake. There's nothing especially wrong with the movie. It just doesn't pop. You think it's going to pop, but the clever 2nd act never comes. And it's a shame too, because you immediately get the impression at certain scenes in the beginning that the movie could go somewhere really smart...but the movie doesn't seem to notice this potential.

What I did like was an early medical scene and a later moment where John Cleese shows up for the best moment in the film. What I didn't like were all the pointless special effects sequences filling in a lot of the gaps. In a strange way most of the film felt like a Roland Emmerich movie, and that isn't a compliment.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Transporter 3: 5/10

Better than 2 and nowhere near as good as 1. Watchable as long as your expectations are not excessive and you don't have a thing for plausibility.

Like many a Luc Besson project, the whole is less than the sum of the parts - good scenes poorly strung together. The jumpy editing was a bit much and for all that Cory Yuen was credited as the fight choreographer, the fights were disappointing.

Transporter 3: 5/10

Better than 2 and nowhere near as good as 1. Watchable as long as your expectations are not excessive and you don't have a thing for plausibility.

Like many a Luc Besson project, the whole is less than the sum of the parts - good scenes poorly strung together. The jumpy editing was a bit much and for all that Cory Yuen was credited as the fight choreographer, the fights were disappointing.

I didn't see 3, but the part in 2 where he does the corkscrew flip in the car to knock the bomb off the bottom with the crane hook had me in absolute hysterics.

I'm not a fan of the series, but I remember the first movie being a lot less ridiculous than the sequel. Which way does the third lean?

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
The Day The Earth Stood Still: 7/10

Despite its flaws it holds some stable ground.

The ending is a bit off a mess :(

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
I was going to see The day the earth stood still yesterday with my wife, but I read Mr. Profet's review, along with other peoples. I hope I didn't miss out on a good movie.

Instead I saw.....

Role Models - 8/10

I simply loved this movie.
great humor, and good brutality (LAIRE Freaking rules).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
the part in 2 where he does the corkscrew flip in the car to knock the bomb off the bottom with the crane hook had me in absolute hysterics.

One of the reasons that 3 is better than 2 but still a long way short of 1.

I think I gave a complete and clear explanation:

IronMonkey said:
Watchable as long as...you don't have a thing for plausibility...Luc Besson project

Which part of "Luc Besson project" don't you understand? :)

For the avoidance of doubt, "Watchable" /= "Good".

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Along Came A Spider : 6/10

Adequate version of a James Patterson (sp?) potboiler. Much enhanced by Morgan Freeman in the lead role.

It moves along swiftly enough but the plot (as ever with these things) does not bear close examination.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Transporter 1 - 7/10, I'm not a big fan of action movies, but it works when you've got nothing else to do. This one was pretty good though, I like Jason Statham, he only ever plays one role though :p
Transporter 2 - 6/10, pretty much as good as the first one.
Transporter 3 - 3/10, Plot was decent, but I just couldn't stand the female character. She wasn't very attractive either imo :S
Torsk på Tallinn, en liten film om ensamhet - 8.5/10, very good move, hillarious but also somewhat serious. Could have been abit longer though.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
House:
I can't recall having watched this movie, but it appears I have. (back in the early days of vhs movies)...
Well, I wouldn't say it's a horror movie. It's more like a comedy. Somewhat. There are monsters, but they're not really scary. Bit silly, really. The plot of the movie doesn't make much sense either. Especially how the people react to certain ... questionable.. weird... out of this world... events. It's as if it was part of their "daily life".
Silly movie. But I liked it. Partially.

7/10