XMP is coming to UT2004! - Free Monkey Interactive Announces UT XMP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Twrecks said:
Wee Doggies!!!
UTXMP has my full support. I have been a purponant that XMP could only survive as a complete Total Conversion. This news makes me happy and if there is anything I can do to for Free Monkey they just need to ask.

Amen! and I'll even add a :tup:

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
Dead_Metal said:
You all recognize the simple fact this is the final nail being driven into the real XMP's coffin right?

umm... didn't we have this discussion in another thread?

This is the best way for xmp to go. thanks freemonkey!

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
I think there will be plenty of room in the community for several variations of xmp for ut2k4, and I really want to see the community explore those avenues. However, I think it's important that there is a solid foundation for those variations to grow off of, and it's important that that foundation stay as close to u2xmp as possible.

I think this will be great for the xmp community, and I can't wait for the migration.

moeptier

Jan 7, 2004
Dragon_Myr said:
But here's something I want to know. When someone installs this TC, what is it going to do to their copy of UT2004? Personally, I've never installed a TC before and am clueless as to how this type of thing will work. I've installed mods however. Will this TC overwrite UT2004, be a separate exe, or something else?

Counterstrike is especially a TC for Half Life.
In this case you may get a new .exe and a new Intro/Starting Screen/Menu based on UT2004 but with the look of XMP (think so).
You will be able to play UT also by using the old .exe

That's what's my meaning of a TC. Correct me if i'm wrong.

moeptier

Jan 7, 2004
Oh and hey you whiners out there:

Would the CS-Community whine, when the CS-developers will announce, that they convert the old CS on to the new Half Life2-Engine? I don't think so, I guess they would be happy that someone keeps their CS alive ...

Think about it! What Free Monkey tries contains the great chance to keep XMP alive. Give them a credit!
I don't think, they'll do this, because they love UT - more than, because they love XMP!

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Heh, even if they didn't convert CS it would still survive and be one of the most popular online games for at least another 5 or 10 years. Oh god I hate CS so much... please don't talk about that sh!tty game in our fine XMP forum. (;))

OnYx(DCSB)

Jolt Adm1n
Mar 15, 2004
Very week indeed. As UTXMP may well be a TC but will still utilise 2K4's engine and 'feel'.
You wont move like you do in XMP, shot like you do in XMP e.t.c. e.t.c. It will essentially be 2k4 with artifacts. Srry guys, thats the harsh reality.

Pawnbroker

ºØmníºChiron
Jan 2, 2004
Sounds great guys! Props to Raptor and the Free Monkeys. Can't wait to try this. Good luck, and let me know if you need a beta tester :)

Air7725 said:
The movement will be XMP style not ut2k4, xmp dodgeing xmp jump jets ect ect we even changed the gravity to xmp.

That, I think, is what sets XMP apart, more than any other element. If done right, XMP may yet live on.

PETsnake

www.p3t.org bitch
Feb 25, 2004
what i read is, "XMP wasn't cool enough for the mainstream so it has to be played on the 2k4 engine to be successful"

what i think is, "gay."

what i say is, "now everyone will leave xmp to play 2gay4 xmp, yay, I'll just sit around on sirrocco in myu alone watching the tubleweeds roll by and dust off the artis one and awhile"

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
don't worry snake, there will be a few of us that will be there with you

Thought if there is a migration of the players, then won't there be hardly any server up? hmmmm domino effect of the conversion factor....oh yah, working it

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
since the lack of cheating is what contributes to this community being the way it is.

Bull****, thats moronic.

2k4 has cheat protection XMP has none. You can cheat all you want in xmp and don't have to worry about a god damn thing. In 2k4 they banzor your CD key if you do so... plus 2k4 has UT secure and anti TCC. :lol: As is I can go dl an aim bot or anything and cheat away in XMP and the community could do jack **** apart from pillow bite and whine about it.

2k4 vehicles suck,keep the raptor and juggernaut,make the harbinger more useful and maybe adding a bike like they planned,maybe this gunship would be cool too,one driver,the ship hovering above the ground,and 4 turrets on the sides,so that would be a 5 person vehicle.

Once again bull****.

2k4's vehicle physics are allot better. They handle easy and nicely.... unlike xmp's "driving through molasas" physics. Plus 2k4 has vehicle rag doll deaths. I love how in XMP no matter how a vehicle dies it just stops dead still and blows up :rolleyes: I do love how in 2k4 depending on how it dies you get a huge explosion and the ****er goes flipping over and over crushing people in its path only to crash into a wall and go boom. :)

I don't care myself if it's the last nail in the coffin for REAL XMP. As long as it plays the same, I'm happy. TBH, XMP is probably not going to survive the summer. This will keep the gametype alive possibly indefinitely(like say Bombing Run). I love the XMP gametype, a game of skill and strategy. So what I gotta spend 40 bucks, I haven't bought a game since XMP came out(and I got it for free as a beta tester. :p ) This negativity about this is bad.

PRG is the smartest man on the forums.... you win the prize.

Porting XMP into 2k4 will not garner you any new players. If 2k4 players were going to hop they would have done so already. Just like other "dead" 2k4 game types, xmp won't grow and you won't tap into all the 2k4 players... most of which tried xmp and didn't like it (let's not forget all the "2k4 players are moronic fools who dont have the IQ to play xmp" threads where you guys agreed thats why) however 2k4 gives the game some stability. XMP is on its last legs, 2k4 is doing quite well and putting xmp into it will prevent it from going away. Hell nobody plays DDOM in 2k4 but its still there (even if it is a ghost town)

Dude, I hope you know what you are saying with this. If I take that LITERALLY, you run great risk of tearing this hole XMP-Community apart and replace it with a bunch of dumb kids who love flashy graphics and epileptic colors

No they don't. XMP won't garner players from this. People play DM because they like DM, people play ONS because they like ONS. People don't play XMP because they don't like it. This is a chance to get a more stable master server (barring the recent fubars 2k4 has had). People that like flashy stuff will play game types with it in, they already made that choice.

there is an overwhelming feeling that "Free Monkey" will make XMP something different than it is now

hrmmm, I would say it will change quite a bit. Given that 'Free Monkey" has stated "with the speed and style of Unreal Tournament 2004" things are a changing. :)

EDIT:

However this may fix that stupid "crap fps for no reason" issue XMP has. :)

Last edited:

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
Dead_Metal said:
Saito, chill out, geezus.

;)

There was nothing irate about that post.

and it will have teh stats w00t

Stats are a mixed blessing.

Stats lead to glory hogs and all sorts of asshatry. Stats lead to people even more concerned about kills in game and not objectives. :(

IMHO stats and scores = bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.