Welcome To A New America!!!!! (For the better even)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
That's definitely a bird.

If you can get to this video without a "general error" you can see the wings flapping and everything.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/vide...naug.blitz.gergen.obrien.cnn?iref=videosearch

The dudes on the other sites used a terrible quality version, probably to make it seem less bird-like by having it appear to go behind the monument when it's clearly about 20 feet from the camera. D:

Last edited:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
And the fact you ridiculed Bush is irrelevant how? If Obama makes a mistake and conservative people jump on him over it, how is that different than what happened with Bush? If I told people to give Bush a chance either time he was elected, I would have been ripped to shreds over it.
I don't think that'd be the case when he was first elected, but I wasn't here around 01. Although on further contemplation there'd probably be whining and saying he stole the election or something.

Change has come to America: same old politicians, same old failed policies, now with criticism-proof, pseudo-minority POTUS!
So you're saying things are exactly the same except we can make racist jokes about the president? I don't see a downside to that, unless you're in a black neighborhood - I hear they don't like it when you call other black people 'nipples'

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
http://parabook.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/threat-against-obama-posted-at-ufo-site/

A man arrested in Mississippi could face five years in prison for threatening to kill President-elect Obama as a “sacrificial lamb”. The message was contained in a Web site focused on aliens and UFOs.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Authorities on Friday arrested a U.S. man on suspicion of threatening to kill President-elect Barack Obama based on statements he posted on a website about UFOs and aliens, the Justice Department said.

Steven Joseph Christopher, in three postings to www.alien-earth.org, said he planned to assassinate Obama in Washington “as a sacrificial lamb,” the department said in a statement.

“It’s really nothing personal about the man. He speaks well … But I know it’s for the country’s own good that I do this,” Christopher reportedly wrote.

“It’s not because I’m racist that I will kill Barack, it’s because I can no longer allow the Jewish parasites to bully their way into making the American people submit to their evil ways.”

Christopher added that he needed money to get to Washington and that he did not own a gun, the department said.

Unprecedented security surrounds Obama, who will be sworn into office on Tuesday and become the nation’s first black president.

Christopher, who is from Wisconsin but was arrested in Brookhaven, Mississippi, could face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if found guilty.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Patriot Act...
Okay, you did some research. Cool beans, but where in that spiel did your personal rights become eroded? Furthermore, how many US citizens' rights have been eroded by this legislation? In other words, how many US citizens have been wrongfully accused or jailed due to direct connection to the Patriot Act? While even one citizen being affected may be unjust, if they were exonerated, then the overall system works. If any are wrongfully detained still, what proof do you have that they were actually wrongfully accused or their rights trampled? I'm just asking for a simple answer, no need to keep drawing this out.

Yes, I do hold the administration and the congress responsible for passing this garbage.
I'm glad to hear that part.

The Act had expirations built into it...

See above. I'm quite capable of thinking for myself, 'mmkay', and intent is meaningless in such matters. The fact is that the act gives them these powers that quite deliberately and explicitly erode the rights granted to us by the Constitution, and all it takes is a few corrupt people to abuse them, as they have abused most other laws. Again, people have been wrongly jailed under the Patriot Act. Where I come from, violating the rights of innocent people is not an acceptable tradeoff for security. Collateral damage may work to fool idiots with regards to war, but not when it comes to your guaranteed rights as a human being.
Guaranteed rights as a human being? The Constitution grants no such thing. It grants your rights as a citizen. And no, I do not take erosion of citizens' rights lightly nor do I approve. I just do not subscribe to abolishing the PA just because it isn't perfect. I believe the Government has the responsibility to protect our rights and should afford review and/or revision of such legislation in a timely manner. If that has not happened here, then the current POTUS and Congress, as well the sitting SCOTUS shall review and revise as necessary in order to fulfill that protection of citizens' rights.

Btw, nice little nasty stab at the military with your "collateral damage" remark. Seeing how that is my job, I take offense. We do our utmost best to keep that to a minimum, but in the fog of war, sh1t does happen and when it does, it ain't pretty.

So let's just let the majority oppress the minority and everything is all hunky-dory. Okay.
Oh, boo hoo hoo, gays can't marry each other in most states. Cry me a river. Or, they can relocate to states that do allow gay marriage. I am much more comfortable allowing individual states to make that determination than the Federal Government in that respect. I'm for repealing any federal law or policy regrading marriage and relegating to its rightful place, in the hands of the states.

Anyway, we could keep dancing here but it is quite tedious for me.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Okay, you did some research. Cool beans, but where in that spiel did your personal rights become eroded?

This argument is pointless if you don't see any problem with passing legislation that is in direct violation of the Bill of Rights. I've said time and time again that it doesn't matter whether you personally were affected by it, what matters is what the wording of the act does. If the government is allowed to pass laws with no regard to what the Constitution proscribes their powers to be, it will only end in abuse. This is in accordance with history. This is why the Supreme Court rules many laws as unconstitutional -- they were passed, they were used to violate somebody's rights, and they got challenged and overturned because they are not legal.

The Supreme Court can overturn them, and that's great. But it does not excuse the fact that they were passed in the first place, by people who have sworn to uphold the Constitution. If you don't want to hold them accountable for violating that founding document, that's your choice. But I don't let those abuses slide. I guess if a dog ****s on your couch, it's fine as long as you scrape it up.

Crotale said:
Oh, boo hoo hoo, gays can't marry each other in most states. Cry me a river. Or, they can relocate to states that do allow gay marriage. I am much more comfortable allowing individual states to make that determination than the Federal Government in that respect. I'm for repealing any federal law or policy regrading marriage and relegating to its rightful place, in the hands of the states.

"Oh, boo hoo hoo, blacks can't use the same bathrooms as whites in most states. Cry me a river. Or, they can relocate to states that do allow integrated facilities."

:rolleyes:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Guaranteed rights as a human being?

The so-called human rights are the following.
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
Article 1.

* All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article 2.

* Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 3.

* Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 4.

* No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.

Article 5.

* No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 6.

* Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Article 7.

* All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 8.

* Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.

Article 9.

* No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 10.

* Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.

Article 11.

* (1) Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.
* (2) No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a penal offence, under national or international law, at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the penal offence was committed.

Article 12.

* No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13.

* (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
* (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 14.

* (1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
* (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Article 15.

* (1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
* (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 16.

* (1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
* (2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
* (3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Article 17.

* (1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
* (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

Article 18.

* Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Article 19.

* Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 20.

* (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
* (2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 21.

* (1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
* (2) Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
* (3) The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Article 22.

* Everyone, as a member of society, has the right to social security and is entitled to realization, through national effort and international co-operation and in accordance with the organization and resources of each State, of the economic, social and cultural rights indispensable for his dignity and the free development of his personality.

Article 23.

* (1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
* (2) Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.
* (3) Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable remuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.
* (4) Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

Article 24.

* Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.

Article 25.

* (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
* (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Article 26.

* (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
* (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
* (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

Article 27.

* (1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
* (2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.

Article 28.

* Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in which the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realized.

Article 29.

* (1) Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full development of his personality is possible.
* (2) In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
* (3) These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Article 30.

* Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

...And some wonder why I'm grumpy when it's said that the UN is useless.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
This argument is pointless if you don't see any problem with passing legislation that is in direct violation of the Bill of Rights. I've said time and time again that it doesn't matter whether you personally were affected by it, what matters is what the wording of the act does. If the government is allowed to pass laws with no regard to what the Constitution proscribes their powers to be, it will only end in abuse. This is in accordance with history. This is why the Supreme Court rules many laws as unconstitutional -- they were passed, they were used to violate somebody's rights, and they got challenged and overturned because they are not legal.

The Supreme Court can overturn them, and that's great. But it does not excuse the fact that they were passed in the first place, by people who have sworn to uphold the Constitution. If you don't want to hold them accountable for violating that founding document, that's your choice. But I don't let those abuses slide. I guess if a dog ****s on your couch, it's fine as long as you scrape it up.
I have never bought into the Patriot Act hook, line and sinker, however, I still believe that some action needed to be taken. As time progresses and we have fewer incidents, these laws have been or will most likely be revised, expired or rescinded. As for whether they should have been passed in the first place, I'm borderline on that. I agree that some of the legislation may (operative word) have implications of eroding personal freedoms, but I have heard of no major cases or reportable number of such cases.

If you look at this from the point of view that a warrant is always needed and the accused notified upfront, then cops would never be able to act on probable cause. Fact is though, that all wiretaps and such had legitimate warrants placed shows that the PA was not as bad as many make it out to be. Yes, the possibility for abuse is greater with the PA in place than without it. Seriously, there is much more to this discussion than I feel is warranted here.

"Oh, boo hoo hoo, blacks can't use the same bathrooms as whites in most states. Cry me a river. Or, they can relocate to states that do allow integrated facilities."

:rolleyes:
And the fact that blacks no longer have to endure such treatment is proof that gays can overcome this obstacle as well. Until the majority of Americans feel that gay rights and marriage is important to them, you will not see much new legislation supporting these causes.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
I have never bought into the Patriot Act hook, line and sinker, however, I still believe that some action needed to be taken. As time progresses and we have fewer incidents, these laws have been or will most likely be revised, expired or rescinded. As for whether they should have been passed in the first place, I'm borderline on that. I agree that some of the legislation may (operative word) have implications of eroding personal freedoms, but I have heard of no major cases or reportable number of such cases.

If you look at this from the point of view that a warrant is always needed and the accused notified upfront, then cops would never be able to act on probable cause. Fact is though, that all wiretaps and such had legitimate warrants placed shows that the PA was not as bad as many make it out to be. Yes, the possibility for abuse is greater with the PA in place than without it. Seriously, there is much more to this discussion than I feel is warranted here.

I would like to believe that, but given the history of law in the US I somewhat doubt it. Sodomy laws, for instance, were in place in many states right up to 2003 before they were invalidated by the supreme court -- and even still some have not been repealed, they're just unenforceable. Given that an extension of the PA has already taken place, it would seem to be on a similar track.

I simply harbor an extreme distrust of governments granting themselves excessive powers, because it's easy to see that leading to disaster multiple times over in the history of the world. I feel that values are meaningless if they are discarded when they are tested. But this clash of ideas is what the country is about, so.

Crotale said:
And the fact that blacks no longer have to endure such treatment is proof that gays can overcome this obstacle as well. Until the majority of Americans feel that gay rights and marriage is important to them, you will not see much new legislation supporting these causes.

This is factually true, yes. But the point is that justice shouldn't have to wait for the majority to stop being prejudiced. I think it's sad that this nation has overcome so much and yet is still hampered by the same sorts of things. I don't believe that the majority is right simply because it is the majority -- that's mob rule. Remember integration had to be forced on people; they had to bring out the national guard to protect those first black children going into a formerly segregated school. The majority didn't care about minority rights until they were forced to. I don't want to see that repeated.

Regardless, It's a basic impasse of ideological differences, so. I don't agree with your opinion, but I can respect it, and that's it for me on these subjects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.