Welcome Nali City users!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Originally posted by QAPete

That's quite true. BU isn't trying to be the biggest, either. We wanted to ensure that the forum community wasn't 100% forced over to ForumPlanet software, and we're working on a limited list of hosted sites (invite-only) and a full-blown front page and site. There are no current plans to become a haven for a ton of rarely-updated hosted sites here at BU.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal
Yes, that's right. Go for quality, not quantity.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Selerox,
I think I understand what you mean. I was referring to you saying that "GSI's handling of the situation has isolated them from the majority of the Unreal community". This could be missunderstood as "BU is/represent the majority of the Unreal community", which is clearly not the case. I guess we agree on this, so ... case dismissed.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
itll be a kind of "to be continued" type thingy i imagine... only time will tell if any quality sites wish to remain at PU or if new ones want to be hosted there... i gotta say i was about finsihed with my new website and i dont know where to go now... the attitude there has just about totally turned me off... :confused:
i look at the hosted bar on PU and its starting to look like alot of sites that are sitting around collecting dust and thats not a good thing for the community, even if they bring it on themselves...
time will tell :(

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
kind of

Originally posted by Tetris L
Selerox,
I think I understand what you mean. I was referring to you saying that "GSI's handling of the situation has isolated them from the majority of the Unreal community". This could be missunderstood as "BU is/represent the majority of the Unreal community", which is clearly not the case. I guess we agree on this, so ... case dismissed.

I should have worded that line a bit better :)

Magick

666-777-1369
Nov 8, 2001
astral plane
Visit site
well im glad to have found where the guys at NC went to. never would have known from checking out pu anywmore.
cant wait to see the new place when its all hooked up! great job and good luck!

oh and btw, what does anyone else think of the barely veiled attempt to setup this "new" map review site on PU?
all of a sudden a thrown together website thats been up for a couple days on angelfire gets hosting on pu as a mapreview site, run by people no one ever heard of but are on the pu forums like a couple of shills for the past few weeks. curiouser and stranger :rolleyes:

Last edited:

XinderbocK

Sep 27, 2001
Los, California
Visit site
I really hate gayspy more

Everyone is tryin to be the best...I think gayspy is trying to be like microsoft.. a monopoly. Really sad there get a couple users and they think there god.

Xortrus

Nov 10, 2001
planetunreal.com
Originally posted by Magick
oh and btw, what does anyone else think of the barely veiled attempt to setup this "new" map review site on PU?
all of a sudden a thrown together website thats been up for a couple days on angelfire gets hosting on pu as a mapreview site, run by people no one ever heard of but are on the pu forums like a couple of shills for the past few weeks. curiouser and stranger :rolleyes:

You're really an idiot if you believe that. :rolleyes:

I have no affiliation with GameSpy. All I know is that we pimped our site in various places and a few UT sites offered us hosting. We chose Planet Unreal. Beyond Unreal never offered us hosting, hell, they probably had never even heard of us. Had BU offered us hosting, we may have accepted, maybe not.

If you don't like our reviews or site, fine, but don't suggest some sort of deep-rooted conspiracy by us when there is none. PU offered us hosting, they liked our reviews, we accepted.

You can find Sarah [NaliGirl], Steve [Zaphod] and myself at The Blue Note in the Dallas area tomorrow night, if you think we're just GameSpy people under online aliases. You'll be able to meet and talk to us, if you want, cause we're having an unofficial launch party (Sarah and i go there a lot, so we're having some beers to celebrate the launch. Steve's never been there.)

B/c we're on PU doesn't mean squat diddly. If you actually read the site, you'll see we link to Nali City in the About section, as it was our inspiration for starting working on the site two months ago. What other PU site has done that? Hell, how many map review sites period pay respect to the granddaddy of them all? We're not trying to compete with NC - we can't. We have a small staff and we're HARD on maps. We're just trying to run our site.

It's sad to see Beyond Unreal Forums degenerating into this sort of thing, where a new site is suspect. Please, don't let it continue.

"OH NO HE'S A NEW MEMBER SO HE'S NOT REALLY A GAMER! I'VE NEVER HEARD OF HIM ON THE BU FORUMS BEFORE! HE MUST BE A GAMESPY PUPPET! THIS IS ALL VERY SUSPECT!" :D

- Kenneth Kelley AKA Xortrus

Last edited:

Xortrus

Nov 10, 2001
planetunreal.com
Actually, didn't Luquado move to Dallas? /me remembers a post. I should email him and invite him out, probably doesn't know the hotspots yet.

Would THAT calm the conspiracy theorists down? :D

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
As I try to say, as often as possible, I really don't care much what the boyz at GSI are doing. As a new Unreal site, though, you're going to get critiqued, combed through, dissected, etc., and some of those comments are going to be negative ones. Get used to it. Review sites, especially, are magnets for criticism, as they routinely post their opinions. Opinions generate opposing opinions - it's just the way it is. In your case, the simple fact that you are hosted at GSI will get you some additional smacks here at BU, unfortunately.

That being said, I wish you luck with your new site, Xortrus. The quality of your site, not where it's hosted, will be the primary thing that decides whether or not it'll be popular, as it should be. The community can always use another quality review site - it's good for everyone.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

Xortrus

Nov 10, 2001
planetunreal.com
True to that, Pete. What irked me was the accusation that this was some plot by GSI when it's something that I and NaliGirl have put a hell of a lot of time and effort into, something I'm sure you understand from having nursed Nali City through its infancy. :)

Xortrus

UnrealGrrl

Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
hiya xor, hey i dont think you were being attacked there... the post was just pointing out itsa bit strange (and it kinda is if you look at the circumstances) then you replying so strongy makes it look even more so like an "inside job"... ;)

but like pete said, if you do reviews (or any kinda website for that matter), prepare to get smacked down in public by ppl with opinions of their own, the post up there is prty tame tho, more of a questioning one... (btw: thick skin = good for runnin a website :)

since you brought it up though, i never saw your site before you posted about it on PU last week and trust me i browse every ut map site there is thats publicized... (and even ones that arent)and you guys had 3 days worth of news at the time... now theres nothing wrong with being new and all - but dont take it personally if ppl question WTH you came from ;) cause they prolly will...
if me or anyone else has never seen you guys anywhere in the ut scene, or even in the smaller mapping community its not surprising someone said WTF! yaknow?

anyway good luck! as far as im concerned there have been too many stagnant review sites and i think there can never be enuff reviews and opinions for ppl to ck out! :tup:

Last edited:

Xortrus

Nov 10, 2001
planetunreal.com
You're the voice of reason again, as on ForumPlanet. **sigh**

I guess I just got a little carried away. And trust me, you guys would recognize our aliases. They're pretty well-known in the former PuF community ;) I don't think anyone knew my real name, though. When we decided to start Sunspire, we decided to abandon those old aliases b/c of the history of them and start fresh.

Someday, maybe we'll "come out" for a laugh :D

UnrealGrrl

Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
lol thats prolly the only time ill be called the voice of reason... :)

anyway i always encourage ppl to "come out", its for their own good!
rainbow.gif
rainbow.gif
rainbow.gif

ULTBase

Sir Fragadelic of Africa
Originally posted by Xortrus
You're the voice of reason again, as on ForumPlanet. **sigh**

I guess I just got a little carried away. And trust me, you guys would recognize our aliases. They're pretty well-known in the former PuF community ;) I don't think anyone knew my real name, though. When we decided to start Sunspire, we decided to abandon those old aliases b/c of the history of them and start fresh.

Someday, maybe we'll "come out" for a laugh :D

From my point of view you have to understand your a new site, yet PU has given you such a big push, with the review headlines at the top and a big welcome. Other hosted sites don't get this, hence people getting annoyed. It obvious they plan for you to take over Nali's position. You must be able to see why they think you might be part of GSI.
On the other hand I wish you all the best of luck with your site, and I know starting out is hard... hey, just keeping the hits flowing is hard enough! :D

Rexxx

Feel the power of the darkside
Nov 11, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Xortrus

We chose Planet Unreal. Beyond Unreal never offered us hosting, hell, they probably had never even heard of us. Had BU offered us hosting, we may have accepted, maybe not.

>>> you were open for 3 days, how could anyone hear of you? :rolleyes:

If you don't like our reviews or site, fine, but don't suggest some sort of deep-rooted conspiracy by us when there is none. PU offered us hosting, they liked our reviews, we accepted.

>>> PU kicked out their biggest and best review site, you site pops up out of nowhere and is given splash pages no hosted site has ever seen before and you think no ones gonna say PHONEY?

You can find Sarah [NaliGirl], Steve [Zaphod] and myself at The Blue Note in the Dallas area tomorrow night, if you think we're just GameSpy people under online aliases. You'll be able to meet and talk to us

>>> no one said you were GSIers under an alias, but it has been pointed out that you must be using aliases cause NO ONE has ever heard of you AND then later in this message when you are called on it, you admit to aliasing after saying you didnt :tdown:
im sure you are real people and maybe nice people, but trying to put one over on the unreal community as being newbies (either by you or gsi) isnt going to work.

B/c we're on PU doesn't mean squat diddly. If you actually read the site, you'll see we link to Nali City in the About section, as it was our inspiration for starting working on the site two months ago. What other PU site has done that?

>>> just about every map site links to NC

It's sad to see Beyond Unreal Forums degenerating into this sort of thing, where a new site is suspect. Please, don't let it continue.

>>> this has nothing to do with BuF. BuF IS the unreal community as you will find out and people dont like when anyone, new or not tries to pull a fast one on them.
if you didnt plan this with gsi, it appears as if you are being used as a front to cover up the loss of NC and it looks bad, thats all.

believe it or not, i wish you good luck cause the future of unreal games is partly with planetunreal and the sites they host, though not as much as it used to be.

i will continue to visit your site and let the quality speak for it self.

but dont take it personally when you alias, get pimped by pu like the devil, never had a website before, never reviewed before, and no one knows who you from anywhere and people start to wonder.

best luck.

p.s. and if you knew my former Nick youd def know me ;)

Last edited: