Welcome Nali City users!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Glad to have you nalicity folks over here at BU.

Please take the time to check out your user control panel, where you'll find the ability to upload a custom avatar, insert custom status below your name, activate Private Messaging, and countless other cool stuff.

Enjoy.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by Tetris L
W00t :)

Now get the damn BU website running, Chris & Pete. I'm trying to arrange two really cool interviews and I want to put them online when BU goes live. Hurry! ;)

We're working on things as quickly as possible, Tetris L. As you might imagine, there's a lot involved creating a full-featured website, hosting service, etc. Here's a little update to whet yer whistle:

1) We've contracted out the design of the main site, and it's going along well.
2) We've been adding hosted sites along the way, and they've gone live in some cases (TacOps, Nali City, Fusion, Chimeric, etc.), so long as they haven't had file download needs.
3) We're putting together our 'proper' download system, and working out mirroring agreements for downloadable files.
4) We're putting together a support system and knowledge base for hosted sites along the way.
5) We've created a rudimentary targeted ad system for hosted sites, and populated it with meaningful ads.

Along the way, we're trying to make sure that each aspect of the overall site is working properly, and trying to take care of specific problems and needs. For a small, tight site like this, we have to be very, very careful - one bad line of code can affect performance site-wide. We've responded well to this thus far, and we're pumping out a tremendous amount of information in a very efficient manner.

So please, everyone's patience is appreciated. Your admin team here is 100% dedicated to getting this done, and done right.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal Rebel Leader

Gamespy=corporate sellouts

Good to see that Nali City is back. Keep up the good work you have done so far. :)

By closing Nali City, Gamespy just proved again how much they care about the people that use their services. Fileplanet has becomme a PAIN to use, and now they have started to close down some of the best sites hosted by them. Shame on you, Gamespy. :(

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yea this has just totally screwed not only PU but the entire unreal universe...
they have just ditched tens of thousands of links from the last couple years to every map and map stuff that ever was linked...
now all those links from websites, faqs, server lists etc are junk...
tanx gamesp*** :tdown: :(

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Welcome guys :)

Thankfully, with no download system around it means i can bum around a bit before launching my site ;)

/me goes off to tinker with his php scripts..

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Freedom!

GSI's handling of the situation has isolated them from the majority of the Unreal community, and I don't think that they'll ever be able to regain our trust. BeyondUnreal is the new future.

Pete, clam & the team: great work, keep it up!

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Selerox,
don't over-estimate the effect of our exodus.
PU still has more than 150(!) hosted sites. Even if some of the best of those move to BU, PU will still be by far the biggest Unreal site. Accept it, it's not going to change in the near time.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by Tetris L
Selerox,
don't over-estimate the effect of our exodus.
PU still has more than 150(!) hosted sites. Even if some of the best of those move to BU, PU will still be by far the biggest Unreal site. Accept it, it's not going to change in the near time.

That's quite true. BU isn't trying to be the biggest, either. We wanted to ensure that the forum community wasn't 100% forced over to ForumPlanet software, and we're working on a limited list of hosted sites (invite-only) and a full-blown front page and site. There are no current plans to become a haven for a ton of rarely-updated hosted sites here at BU.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

luquado

The cake is a PLOY!!
Feb 18, 2000
Astoria, NYC
www.luquado.com
ONLEY TEH BESTESTS!@!!! :p

Seriously, a stroke of genius. Keeps bandwidth DOWN and readership UP.

Pete, I'll be emailing you soon. I think I have a major MAJOR snag relating to Real Life. Can't talk now, leaving for Job #1.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
true

A good point Tetris. I wasn't saying that BU will be (or should be) the biggest Unreal site, I meant that BU's (excellant) policy on hosted sites means they have the chance to be the best.

One of PU's problems was, at times, it went for quantity over quality of hosted sites (afterall, how the hell did The Soundoff ever get hosted? ;)). I think BU has some major thought going into it's design and execution, and that (along with it's community focus) is what will give it the edge over many other sites imo.