Vehicles for U1 (by .:..:)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

.:..:

Apr 11, 2006
Finland
Ehm a better suggestion would be:
Code:
simulated function AttachmentsTick( float Delta )
{
	Super.AttachmentsTick(Delta);
	if( MySWheel!=None )
	{
		SWRot.Roll = (WheelYaw *2.5);
		MySWheel.SetLocation(Location+(SWheelOffset >> Rotation)*DrawScale);
		MySWheel.SetRotation(Rotation+SWRot);
	}
}
To avoid some useless recasting...

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
Thanks alot to both of you, that steering wheel code is really usefull, the ability to attach anything to the vehicle is quite interesting, is there any chance a mesh can be attached aswell depending on the player that sits in it? i've been thinking of adding a driver pose mesh but i have no knowledge in coding to do anything like that (see attachement pic)

I made a new version of the pickuptruck, some fixes are probably worth checking out if you tried it before.
new version fixes/adds:
*passenger seat now works
*you don't get run over when you bail out anymore
*steering wheel animation, thanks to Silver_Ibex and Dots
*fixed the looping engine sounds so the hitching doesn't rape your ears while driving.

And also i've turned the UT wreck1 deco into a driveable vehicle, its pretty fun checking out aswell (and it works in unreal1 too, no botpack dependency!)

sofar i'm absolutely amazed by the vehicle mod and its user friendlyness, its so easy to make anything for it aslong as you know a bit of modelling, and i'm positively sure you can even easily make a vehicle with meshmaker too.

Last edited:

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
I had been playing around with ways to make the driver and passengers viewable.

Some code to set up the passenger mesh to match the player character is below.

Code:
//this code can be used to set the mesh up to match the players textures
		if( Pawn(Owner)!=None )
			{
			MyGuy.Mesh = Pawn(Owner).Mesh;
			MyGuy.DrawScale = Pawn(Owner).Default.DrawScale;
			MyGuy.AnimSequence = DuckWlkS; //set mesh in ducked position so it looks more like they are sitting

if ( Pawn(Owner).bIsMultiSkinned )
			{
				for (a=0; a<8; a++)
				MyGuy.MultiSkins[a] = Pawn(Owner).MultiSkins[a];
			}
			else
			MyGuy.Skin = Pawn(Owner).Skin;
			}

MyGuy.SetLocation //call to set the passangers locations

}

Would be nice if the passengers attachments got code to be made to take damage, be open targets in unarmored vehicles.

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
Thanks Silver_Ibex, that's exactly what i needed :)
although in my case i'm going to have to fiddle with it a bit, as i'm probably going to require the players to either go into crouch position, or i'm going to try to use an entirely custom sitting animation, i'll see how far i can get.

I'm also going to try to attach stuff like smoke/exhaust fumes to the vehicle, that would look pretty nice :)

TerOmen

Mar 24, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Silver_Ibex: Funny enough I remember when I was the terrain guy for this old engine ;)
It's fun isn't it? I still throw stuff together for ut/u1 too lol. You should email me sometime so we can compare projects or whatever. Im playing with a ut/jurassic park thing but the bsp issues and terrain limitations of the old engine always kill it. A 128x128 tesselated terrain brush optimized in 3dsmax with a 4096x4096 texture is the best I can manage :(.

oops: my email is dsstang25@yahoo.com(dont have my own internet right now though).

TerOmen

Mar 24, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
I just remembered you can export all your buildings to max, use them to bake shadows onto the terrain textures, and then use the super high poly shadow trick in ued to get really nice lighting. You just import a custom texture, tell it to render at 4x or 8x scale under the texture browser menu, then shrink them down in ued and they get more detailed ;)

Did you do that lighting trick with 3dsmax to get shadows or let the engine render them?

edit: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95595&d=1210440829
That's Dank dude ;)

Why don't you try a HUGE one with the newer ut2k4 engine? You can just use a lot of 4096 textures for each terrain so they still look cool unlike their layer system that blows :(
You can't even apply a custom lightmap to a terrain mesh in it... I imported some custom static meshes to that engine with really sharp shadows and it looked NICE.

Last edited:

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Hey TerOmen :) whatever happened with DM-GreenlandEnhanced? was waiting to play that one :cool:

Baking can be done in 3Dmax and works well for those who have it and know how to use it, however lacking both the program and 3Dmax knowledge, I did these building shadows within Ued :D

I have found IMHO Unreal and UT99 actually have a better terrain surface texture display option then UT2k4, really IMHO the only nice thing for terrain that UT2k4 has which UT99 lacks, is the more advanced distance fog the engine uses. Turning it way down in UT2k4 lets the culling fog be used instead for a real nice slight distance haze in the air on large maps.

TerOmen

Mar 24, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
I used to have a custom opengl driver for ut that featured working distance fog. It didn't cull bsp but you could set a draw distance on the meshes at least to make a nice forrest. I seem to remember the UTGL or whatever driver said it featured distance culling. And I think the driver with distance fog was based on the UTGL.

What I meant was you can import static meshes to ut2k4 and have the high res texture that you use in UT on them and then use a nice baked lightmap. Have 8 or 32 chunks instead of 1 :D

I don't know a good place to find those textures and heightmaps or I might throw something together.

About the map, I never uploaded it and im not sure where a backup might be :(
Could always redo it again though. Imho some nice maps like dmgrandcanyon would be really fun with inf or serpentine. Lot of work to make something no one else would play though lol.

Did you hear about the new update for ut that features all kinds of updates like a new mesh system that mimicks static meshes? Tons of new features. Supposed to be out pretty soon.

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Did you hear about the new update for ut that features all kinds of updates like a new mesh system that mimicks static meshes? Tons of new features. Supposed to be out pretty soon.

You have a link for any info on that update?

First vehicles, then improved terrain, and now talk of static mesh style decorations :) I have got to see this :D

Last edited:

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Hey, Silver_Ibex where can I get your old demo terrain maps?
And any news on this latest production? :D

I am not sure where my old demo maps can be downloaded, you may want to ask around for that.

For the new map I was sort of hoping to use the UnrealTournament Extension Pack, and there is still no sign of that :(

If it looks like it is going to be much longer I guess I will have to go ahead without it.

Right now the map geometry is done, it needs building interiors textured with appropriate wall and floor textures, sounds added, and item pick ups placed, and also texture packs finalized and made online compatible.

I would say my new map has about two to three week’s worth of actual work still left to go, I just have to get back to actually working on it.

Last edited:

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
I'll try these, but I want to ask can these vehicles go through loops? My wheeled vehicles (working on) can go through loops. (My vehicle classes I made by myself). Ill show video when at home and also they can drift.

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
@Turboman (or anyone who can help)
Is there any chance you can repost these vehicles, or a link ?
I have spent ages looking for more realistic stuff, and they would be perfect for a certain Tiger-Hunt map I like to kill zombies in :D

Which brings me neatly to;
@Silver Ibex, first thanks for the endless hours of fun I've had capping zombies from the safety of the barn.
I have also fitted widows everywhere in a version of CTF-Zeitkind. So much fun :D

But mainly, did you finish the map ?
I have not found any purpose-built U1 vehicle maps before, and I was already thinking about putting up a current U1 vehicles resource.
There is more out there than I realised, but by-gum it's spread all over the place.

BTW. The old Silver Ibex site can still be found in the Web Archive. A few of the DLs are there.
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20070515171952/http://www.silveribex.com/
I was hoping to get the deco pack "DeusExDecorationsForUnreal.zip" but that was not harvested.

Last edited: