UT3 vCTF-Wastelands [PC][Pics][D/L]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Sorry to throw crap back at you but what, you can't f****ing read? You have to have simple things explained to you? I'll tell you what I'm not doing, I'm not making any money not that that should bother you or be any of your f****ing business. I'm not charging for the map, its there as an OPTION for those who like to help others out, which nobody ever does. I did the same for WAR-Moltencore, (any flash movie or any other release I'm responsible for for that matter) and have yet to make a dime, so stfu.

And for those who think I've replied to harshly, I suggest trying the map before making suggestions, Know what I expect (bugs OTHER than the ones listed above) don't act like its a crime to accept donations that never come, and above all else, don't let me wake up to whining because I'm always in a bad mood when I wake up. My public relations skills are worse than my mapping skills.

P.S. I only have one and a half maps left to release and then I'm done with UT3 and this is the primary reason. I can spend 5 months on a map making it as perfect as I can get it to be and then the moment I release it, the ungrateful whiny UT3 community nitpicks it to shreds - highlights every imperfection in details and screenshots but never points out anything good. Its always, "but the map looks nice" - "but good job anyway".
Bah, don't patronize me. I see through that B.S. a mile away. So keep running your ridiculously opinionated mouths and keep chasing off the few people you have left who actually make things for this failed game.

I am very sorry you took offense at my question. I am also sorry that because of that, you could not generate a pleasant or mature response.

As for the level, I have downloaded it, and I have attempted to play it several times. However, it has crashed the game about 2-3 minutes into a match everytime I have opened it ingame (I have opened it 4 times now, with checking against other, really heavy performance requiring levels to make sure it's a map issue rather than my PC acting up). I'm sorry I cannot provide you with feedback.

Also, it's worth asking yourself the question if you make the levels you make for you, or for someone else. There are always going to be people who nitpick about a released level (I should know, I am one), but that should not discourage your drive to make levels. I make levels for myself primarily, as a way to relax and vent some creativity. If you are looking for feedback (as in, whatever people wish to say about your level) then you should be able to filter out what can be used and what not.

I hope there will be a version that doesn't crash my game so I can check it out properly and then give proper feedback. Best of luck finishing the level.

SmokeRingHalo

Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping
Mar 1, 2008
smokeringhalo.unrealmaps.net
I am very sorry you took offense at my question. I am also sorry that because of that, you could not generate a pleasant or mature response.

As for the level, I have downloaded it, and I have attempted to play it several times. However, it has crashed the game about 2-3 minutes into a match everytime I have opened it ingame (I have opened it 4 times now, with checking against other, really heavy performance requiring levels to make sure it's a map issue rather than my PC acting up). I'm sorry I cannot provide you with feedback.

Also, it's worth asking yourself the question if you make the levels you make for you, or for someone else. There are always going to be people who nitpick about a released level (I should know, I am one), but that should not discourage your drive to make levels. I make levels for myself primarily, as a way to relax and vent some creativity. If you are looking for feedback (as in, whatever people wish to say about your level) then you should be able to filter out what can be used and what not.

I hope there will be a version that doesn't crash my game so I can check it out properly and then give proper feedback. Best of luck finishing the level.

YOU didn't nitpick the level. YOU were concerned about optional donations. Don't skirt around the real reason YOU pissed me off. The 'nitpicking' concern I had is just with mapping in general. Yes its to be expected, unless you make a simple cube, toss in a few vehicles and name it 'SPAMCUBE', then it becomes the biggest hit ever! If you really take a close look at the way the people who really try hard are treated vs. the casual cube builders maybe you'll start to understand why I've become so jaded.
As for the crashing, I don't know. No ones downloaded my map, so no one else has reported it. It runs fine on my system.

My Specs that matter are:
AMD Athlon 4000+ (Single Core)
2x Nvidia GeForce 7950GT 512MB (SLI)
2 GB Corsair RAM

The map has 3 detail modes for low medium & high end users. I would try setting your world detail to low (1) and see if it still crashes - gradually increasing world detail if it doesn't.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
You could have responded calmly rather than freak out. I don't skirt around anything, I simply asked a question which made you ragepost so to try and keep things civil - as one of the admins has requested us to do - I am now choosing not to follow up on it.
The fact that I do nitpick when looking at levels and that you seem discouraged to build levels because of people nitpicking had nothing to do with my initial question, and I didn't intend it to.

E6600 2.4 GHz (dualcore)
8800 GTX 768 MB
2GB dual channel Kingston RAM

I will attempt changing world detail settings, though that shouldn't really be the reason why the level crashes.

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
You could have responded calmly rather than freak out. I don't skirt around anything, I simply asked a question which made you ragepost so to try and keep things civil - as one of the admins has requested us to do - I am now choosing not to follow up on it.
The fact that I do nitpick when looking at levels and that you seem discouraged to build levels because of people nitpicking had nothing to do with my initial question, and I didn't intend it to.

E6600 2.4 GHz (dualcore)
8800 GTX 768 MB
2GB dual channel Kingston RAM

I will attempt changing world detail settings, though that shouldn't really be the reason why the level crashes.

I don't know. Maybe your download was corrupted, or maybe you're just trying to threadcrap on me again and make ppl think the level doesn't work because I lost my temper with you. Either way I don't know what to tell you other than it works for me and the one person who replied that they are enjoying the map over @ Epic's forum. Until others start reporting that the map crashes the game I'll have to assume that one of the two reasons stated above are the real cause.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Ok I gave the map a play through and will just post some of the bad and some of the good things I noticed. First thing I noticed was the ramps leading into the green goo from each base might be good for fast vehicles but if you try and drive a slower vehicle over it you just get stuck at the top of the ramp and cant get the vehicle unstuck. You probably have some performance issues in the map because you have all of your lights in the map casting shadows which doesn't look good at all. Often times when I'm just running along the ground I will see my shadow appearing on a rock next to me or casting accross the ground. It just looks silly and I'm sure its not healthy on performance. I also noticed that the rock in the ground in the blue base makes everyone who runs over it, even with a vehicle float 2-3 feet in the air above it. To me the lighting is just kinda bland for the most part. Just looks like a map using zone lighting mostly.

Things I liked:

The layout was decent, there is definetly room for improvement but its ok. I liked the tire tracks in the ground, was a good touch. I also liked the nuclear plants although I wish I could have been able to go through there as a playable part of the level. I also thought the whole asteroid in the ground was a pretty neat touch. You used a unique theme that I haven't seen since UT2004.

After all that said I'd give the map a 6/10 If a lot of the weird issues of the map were fixed and the lighting had a complete overhaul I would be giving it an 8/10

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
Ok I gave the map a play through and will just post some of the bad and some of the good things I noticed. First thing I noticed was the ramps leading into the green goo from each base might be good for fast vehicles but if you try and drive a slower vehicle over it you just get stuck at the top of the ramp and cant get the vehicle unstuck. You probably have some performance issues in the map because you have all of your lights in the map casting shadows which doesn't look good at all. Often times when I'm just running along the ground I will see my shadow appearing on a rock next to me or casting accross the ground. It just looks silly and I'm sure its not healthy on performance. I also noticed that the rock in the ground in the blue base makes everyone who runs over it, even with a vehicle float 2-3 feet in the air above it. To me the lighting is just kinda bland for the most part. Just looks like a map using zone lighting mostly.

Thanks for the constructive feedback & I'll take it all into consideration for the next version.
The ramps were meant for escaping flag carriers on hoverboard not for goliaths but I'll go back and see if i blocked them from crossing it. I think i did but i'll double check. The rock has a blocking volume over it and I guess I made it a tad bit too tall. Getting the lighting to be less bland will be tricky considering there aren't many possibilities for light sources given the outdoor desert setting.

I also liked the nuclear plants although I wish I could have been able to go through there as a playable part of the level.

You can go through the nuclear plants. Each side has a hole in the fencing that allows you to traverse behind the cooling tower.

I appreciate the unbiased review after all the grief this thread has endured & caused beforehand.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
rugged landscape with frozen explosion rocks, cool bridge area, toxic plumes, toxic sludge, slime lakes, abandoned bunkers and other strange formations (oh, look, that one looks like Devil’s Tower!); gameplay is good and bots are decent with cool vehicles, but lots of stuff to get stuck on and certain things in the way.

http://www.ut-x.net/View-document-details/429-VCTF-Wastelands.html

(ok, only one download location?)