VCTF: I LIKE IT!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
People hate the trans in vctf because vctf fans are vehicle fans. They don't want someone on foot to be able to accomplish anything against them in a vehicle. I disagree on most counts, but a trans is too powerful against a goliath.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Well, durrr. Just make the goliath as fast as a scorpion and have its shells explode with a 'deemer explosion. Problem solved.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
m&ms said:
People hate the trans in vctf because vctf fans are vehicle fans. They don't want someone on foot to be able to accomplish anything against them in a vehicle. I disagree on most counts, but a trans is too powerful against a goliath.
I probably agree with you on all those reasons you disagree :) Trans belongs in VCTF for the same reason it should be in ONS, which is that traveling on foot sucks goat balls.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
The Goliath is too powerful for VCTF to begin with. It's much more fun when you can do some work on foot, too, without getting blown to bits or run over every 20 feet. I love vehicles, but after playing VCTF with and without the trans, I can't see why people would want to play without it.

Trans would be ok in ONS to the extent that it's a lot like UT99 DOM, with the action centering around control points. But ONS is its own gametype, while VCTF is still basically CTF.

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Me, make smartass remarks???!??!? :lol:

I used to not like the xloc in vctf, but after playing with it for a while, it can work out; it adds a new element to the game, certainly, but I just learned to deal with it (for instance: it's nice to have a hilighted landing zone for my manta.) It might also help bridge the gap for ctf players.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Sir_Brizz said:
I probably agree with you on all those reasons you disagree :) Trans belongs in VCTF for the same reason it should be in ONS, which is that traveling on foot sucks goat balls.
hoverboard mutator!

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Just my opinion:

Light vehicles were designed to catch heavier vehicles (which are meant to carry the flag)... Then Manta runs were found out, people began to miss the trans, and the gametype got ruined... :p

I think VCTF should have a whole new set of vehicles, a set of vehicles oriented to carrying the flag, and not focused in attacking and defending like the ONS vehicles are. IMO each VCTF vehicle should have a different ability/way to carry the flag, but none of those abilities should be camping... I don't think camping is fair, although it's true that killing a tank is not so hard, a fragrun ruined just because the tank spawned at the right moment is not a good thing... Leave camping for weak pedestrians!

Of course, all those things (manta runs, tank camping, etc...) can be balanced by thinking a good map layout, but it's too much to take care of... :eek:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I deffinately agree. Vehicles are not ment for capturing the flag much, an the tank in agressive is WAYYY to dominant when Ladder people play with it. It gets very irritating. I remember when i started to play VCTf, some people were able to capture the flag with the hellbender on a full server. It was a long time ago...

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
Sir_Brizz said:

Grab a vehicle, jump on a vehicle, or wait to teleport.

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
briach said:
hoverboard mutator!

I think I played an Assualt map where the vehicles were a snowboard/hoverboard. The alternate movement was a flip stunt and you could "jump" kinda like the manta. The movement seemed fairly balanced...I'd have to look in my assault maps to find it...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Tenkken said:
Grab a vehicle, jump on a vehicle, or wait to teleport.
That's the point, everyone grabs a vehicle and drives off alone. If something isn't working right in a pub then there is a problem with the gametype :p

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
hal said:
1) I think the UT2004 vehicles were pretty decent, actually. Though there's plenty of opportunity to improve upon them, for sure. The AVRiL is okay. It's decently balanced in that it doesn't pack too much of a punch and it can be shaken by the airborne vehicles and shot down by others.
2) Manta runs are just a fact of the gametype. Hopefully, we'll see that eliminated or balanced in the next game (imo). It has nothing to do with why it wasn't mapped for though. That's mainly because Epic saw the potential for another gametype there, put in the groundwork for it, and allowed it to become official once maps were created - but didn't have time to support it through level of their own. 3) Not every gametype has to be about fragging. But it certainly has its place in the gametype.
4) See 2

Thanks Hal. Meant to do this earlier...just forgot...

Last edited:

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
Wardad71 said:
I wholeheartedly agree. "To each his own". Personally I'm finding myself liking BR more also. I like to play a game with OBJECTIVES. Not just MINDLESS fragging all the time. DM will sharpen your killing skill, but games like BR, VCTF, and ONS require a TEAM effort. If it's "all about YOU", then stick to the DMs and go play some Quake...DAM is trying to bring out whats good about games like VCTF so that UT is more than just DM. I'm attracted to TEAMPLAY and working together (having fun with your online friends). That's all.

I'd like to confess some ignorance or a poor choice in verbage regarding DM not requiring "skill" - or "mindless fragging". Fragging (not spamming) requires a LOT of skill. Since I wasn't that good at it to begin with....that's probably why I knocked it.....Hey! Maybe that's why some people knock VCTF or manta runs??? Just a random observation. Have a nice day!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Tenkken said:
I see you've been playing on the popular ons pubs :rolleyes:

btw, walking isn't a bad thing in ons.
In UT, anything that is keeping you from participating in the action is a bad thing.

$lacker

«ßrothers în combat»
Hi, I've been playing vctf longer than 99.8% of people in UT and i can confidently say that it requires a larger skill set than any other gametype (im experienced in all of ut's gametypes) , and yet, even the newest player can still contribute to their team.

I played vctf for 6 months before manta runs were invented, and im positive that manta runs were the best thing that ever happened to vctf.

And to those people who whine and complain about how its unbalanced and vehicles have the advantage over humans, i lol at you because any half-skilled player can kill a vehicle. It is much harder to kill a person that is good on foot than to kill a person that is good in a vehicle in vctf (with very few exceptions).