VCTF: I LIKE IT!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Turns2Ashes said:
1) I think UT2004's vehakals are very, very boring, and the avril is a worthless turd of a weapon.
2) Manta runs are nothing but an exploit, and I'm guessing it's at least part of the reason VCTF wasn't mapped for officially and was hidden for quite some time.
3) Fragging skill > sitting on a manta with a link gun. Fragging skill doesn't matter in VCTF, and that's both unfortunate and dumb.
4) Manta runs effectively ruin any potential gameplay the gametype might have had. It's analogous to vanilla CTF without the xloc, and it sucks.
This is coming from someone who spent most of his time playing Halo CTF but still... you all have UnrealEd -- make better maps -- don't include the Manta if you don't want to. The gametype's not the problem -- you just don't like Epic's implementation -- make your own.

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
Defeat said:
>Sorry for being a noob but i've only played offline in VCTF. I get what a manta run is but since there are so many people good with hit scan, couldn't someone just shoot the manta a few times with the lightning gun and BOOM, the shock rifle will push them around, making it easier for other people to get a hit on it too.

Absolutely! :D

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
Nereid said:
I'm basically with T2A regarding VCTF.

LOOK at that post again.... The only post (that i've noticed so far) to offer constructive criticism (that made any sense) as to why they DON't like VCTF is: dXII][Pa. He offered an honest arguement. I agreed with most of his dislikes. Anyone who truly knows vctf knows the reply (?) should elicit a grin or two. Not trying to pick fights...just talking about a specific game mode.

What can we do to improve or balance VCTF?
>

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Not only energy turrets, all turrets. In ons it is acceptable since you have multiple objectives to defend (nodes and core) and shots/foes are coming from anywere.

VCTF generaly only have 1 180 Degree visible path which cause a major camping issue.

Spider mines are also terrible, unless, uless you put them far from the flag and don't give them extra ammo , so you only have 4 spiders which is ok.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Can someone tell me why the translocator is disabled permanently without a third party mutator? If you're out of a vehicle and none are available, you have no way whatsoever to cut off the FC. You won't catch a manta anyway, but a Scorpion or Bender can be run down in many cases, depending on the routes available to it. It also helps in dealing with turrets and marauding Mantas. Like I've said, lack of translocator is the main reason I don't play on unmodded servers.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Wookiee said:
heavily modded servers are terrible :(
nuttella said:
Most mods are terrible, and the admins have no taste. Those "NoSkillz" weapons are popular and awful.
Servers with all the extra stuff are a good source of insane gaming once in a while

No offense to Pa, but I can't stand the dXII server
People have been banned for not only pulling manta runs, but even for just jumping onto a manta's wing

Seriously, instead of editing maps to add manta blocking zones around flags, is it really so hard to write a mut that would set bCanBeBaseForPawns= to False for any manta that spawns

dXII][Pa

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Jan 3, 2004
Kyllian said:
No offense to Pa, but I can't stand the dXII server
People have been banned for not only pulling manta runs, but even for just jumping onto a manta's wing

:lol:

That's certainly one side of the story.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Can someone make a mutator to remove shock combos, too? Epic forgot to patch that when they patched up everything else, too, and I hate shock combos so I think they should be outlawed for everyone.

No wait, I love shock combos now that I've developed the skill to utilize them.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
You're being a wiseass about something, only I'm not sure exactly what. :p

If it's the idea of adding a translocator, that's something that should never have been removed in the first place. The trans has always been a part of UT CTF for good reason. VCTF is CTF with vehicles, and there's no obvious reason why it should be omitted. I think it's a bad thing.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
nuttella said:

If it's the idea of adding a translocator, that's something that should never have been removed in the first place. The trans has always been a part of UT CTF for good reason. VCTF is CTF with vehicles, and there's no obvious reason why it should be omitted. I think it's a bad thing.
Trans makes it really easy to get out of the way of certain vehicles. If a Goliath is nearby, two quick translocations later and he can't touch you.

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
Trans makes it really easy to get out of the way of certain vehicles. If a Goliath is nearby, two quick translocations later and he can't touch you.

God forbid anyone should be able to avoid your Goliath. :p

Really, I don't see why that's a bad thing. You still can't do it with the flag.

Wookiee

Lets Rock
Aug 4, 2004
The translocator has been tested with VCTF, and the general consensus is that it's terrible.

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
nuttella said:

I agree. (Also to Dark Pulse's comment - the 'good' tank whores would have a little more difficulty in killing the person on the way TO the flag...) I think trans SHOULD be in vctf to access hard to reach areas when on foot and so forth. I think it would add more fun factor/skillz to it...IMO...Of course I haven't played VCTF WITH the trans so this really is just an opinion...

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Wookiee said:
The translocator has been tested with VCTF, and the general consensus is that it's terrible.

well, that's just silly. It's still CTF and it's still UT. The trans is a big part of what makes CTF in UT so great. What do people find "terrible" about it?