UT3 TITAN PACK DETAILS REVEALED

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
interesting read on pc game marketing

“Last weekend, we decided to do an experiment,” he says, referring to this past weekend’s Left 4 Dead sale, which brought the game down to $24.99 through Steam – sales rose 3000 percent, and revenue far eclipsed the game’s sales during its launch window.

More companies should take heed to some of the strategies in this article.

Far as the titan pack goes, I was kind of looking forward to it after DP told me that the content list was released. Then I kinda looked at it and went "eww."

Really nothing there to pique my interest in the game again which kinda died a couple months after it's initial release.

This pack almost seems like a half-assed attempt by Epic, "the company that brought you Gears of War", to regain the favor of people who feel they've abandoned their pc consumers for the frat-boy console generation.

Last edited:

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
Uhm, I don't know in the Netherlands, but here in the UK the PC section of every shop is about half the smallest console section :(

PC games are sold mostly online nowadays...

I went into my local ebgames the other day (yeah offtopic), anyways it looked more like a used console sales place then a games/showroom. All those yellow and black stripped boxes, the ones that wernt second hand were pre-orders.

Total NEW games (in boxes) in the shop for all platforms: 10

Of which 2 were PC and 1 was a very over priced l4d when compared with the online sale which was just kicking in, 50% difference. The box said on it, "if you can find a better price we'll beat it" I just thought it was kinda ironic since steam had 4x the catalog.

Its not uncommon for the PC section here to be hidden right down the back or being non-existent to start with, you know things are getting bad when its happening to the console games as well. I mean really, they'll be trying to sell us boxes of air next, Microsoft live air box (tm) n fizzle

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
More companies should take heed to some of the strategies in this article.

Not sure if it applies to UT3 though, the game hit full price on launch day, then after a month or so the price already had dropped. Right now the game is avail for 20 bucks and less.

Make a good game and people will want it. L4D was one of them, people just thought $50 was too much for what it's really worth, so that 50% off weekend was a success.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
the 100% start-time is just to milk people that really want the game from the start. it could also be $100 or $200, but $50 has been the standard retail-price for a long time.

after a while, the price drops to the most economic value.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Maybe I'm just being an idiot here, but don't almost all games lower in price after a month or two. It seems to me that only the really successful games stay high in price for months after months. The only reason I'm not sure is that I never really payed that close attention to it.

What I am sure about is that L4D sold well in that weekend because it was great deal and a limited time offer. Meaning increased sales and in the case of L4D with demand being high it experienced a great sale increase instead of just an average increase. Normal stuff...

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
half-assed attempt

Eh.

Months of work went into the patch and addon, and they're not asking a damn buck for it. I'm not going to say that it's going to revive the game and cause a massive migration of players who will play it for the rest of their lives, but I would be freaking pissed if I spent all this work on a giant overhaul of a game that "nobody plays" and all you get is stuff like "too late" and "half-assed".

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Months of work went into the patch and addon, and they're not asking a damn buck for it. I'm not going to say that it's going to revive the game and cause a massive migration of players who will play it for the rest of their lives, but I would be freaking pissed if I spent all this work on a giant overhaul of a game that "nobody plays" and all you get is stuff like "too late" and "half-assed".

On top of that, by the sound of it, he's not even going to give the whole thing a fair shake by trying it out before leaping to conclusions.

Honestly, if your mind is completely made up that anything Epic does will not "save" the game, nothing short of a new game is going to convince you otherwise.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Eh.

Well that's what happens when a company pretty much sweeps their main customer base under the rug in favor of a new one. Some animosity is to be expected.
Im not commenting on the "quality" of the content, I'm more voicing my opinion of why I feel Epic is bothering with this at all, which is (once again, in my opinion) a lip-service attempt at regaining a fanbase they totally smacked in the face after their success with Gears on console.

I reiterate, this isnt for trolling/flame purposes, Im just stating my opinion here.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Im not commenting on the "quality" of the content, I'm more voicing my opinion of why I feel Epic is bothering with this at all, which is (once again, in my opinion) a lip-service attempt at regaining a fanbase they totally smacked in the face after their success with Gears on console.

Are you referring to Epic as a company or some of the bizarre things Clifford said in the last year? I agree the later said a ton of complete BS, but I don't think I've seen any press releases from Epic or Midway saying "**** you" to PC development. They're not a huge company and they probably only focus on a single project at a time. Gears of War was the focus after they finished up UT2004 a game which the community had at least a dozen or so tweaks requested after the final patch. UT patching ceased once they started on UT2003 unless you count the quick TCP/IP fix when that DOS engine exploit hit the scene. Once Gears of War released, they finished up working on UT3, and then finished up Gears 2. Now that Gears 2 is done they have the time and resources to add more content to both games.

We all know how bad it is to let designers voice their opinions. Cliff's right up there with John Romero and Peter Molyneaux these days. Cliff's not in charge of the company, he's just a ego-fueled rockstar designer.

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Are you referring to Epic as a company or some of the bizarre things Clifford said in the last year? I agree the later said a ton of complete BS, but I don't think I've seen any press releases from Epic or Midway saying "**** you" to PC development.

It doesn't matter so much what they "say", judge them by what they've done - which is as another poster has said: thrown much of their main customer base under the bus. Now with this patch and Titan, it's like closing the barn door after the cows got out.

Some of you are still working hard to find excuses for Epic, :rolleyes: but really they've earned all of the wrath that they get.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
rAt.8^].bAg;2257200 said:
It doesn't matter so much what they "say", judge them by what they've done - which is as another poster has said: thrown much of their main customer base under the bus. Now with this patch and Titan, it's like closing the barn door after the cows got out.

Some of you are still working hard to find excuses for Epic, :rolleyes: but really they've earned all of the wrath that they get.
You ought to have been quite disappointed in them for about 7 years now, so why are you hanging around a community based around their company again?

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

Some of us have enough of an understanding about how the games industry works as to not have outrageous expectations about how development studios go about their business.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
You ought to have been quite disappointed in them for about 7 years now, so why are you hanging around a community based around their company again?
I like what Epic said regarding all the negative statements made by their customers. Went something like, "those who complained the loudest probably do really care about the game and want it to do well." Yeah, and I know a man who used to beat his kids because he loved them.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site

Yes, Epic made some misstakes, some pretty big ones imo, but how far do you wanna go with this?
If this big expansion and patch isnt enough to convince you that they really want to steer the UT franchise back on the right course i doubt anything can.

And in that case just leave, find another game that you like instead.
I think you will feel better too in the end :)

Theres no use anymore to bash Epic because theyve heard it all, millions of times. Hell, theyve even reacted to it with this Expansion.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I like what Epic said regarding all the negative statements made by their customers. Went something like, "those who complained the loudest probably do really care about the game and want it to do well." Yeah, and I know a man who used to beat his kids because he loved them.

Kinda the inverse with UT3, isn't it? Epic being the man handing out abuse, and customers being the abused wife/kids always coming back for more, and/or never leaving the abuser, making excuses for being treated like sh!t, etc. :stick:

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
rAt.8^].bAg;2257411 said:
Kinda the inverse with UT3, isn't it? Epic being the man handing out abuse, and customers being the abused wife/kids always coming back for more, and/or never leaving the abuser, making excuses for being treated like sh!t, etc. :stick:

Which begs the question, why are you still here?
I'm here because I still enjoy their games. I don't care about what they say or how much better their games used to be, UT3 might be broken but I still have fun with it. If that's "being abused like a wife being beaten by his husband" then geez, fine.