Ut2004 Mapping!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
With Ut2004 are you going to insert the vechiles the same way they are done on ONS maps or will the use the Physics engine. The reason i was wondering is if the Physics engine is not being used static meshes dont need collision hulls so i can make the road completly in 3dmax allowing for better textureing and the use of smoothing groups on the road.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Smokin, if you use this link you can download my last map. All the roads are static meshes, and this is a UT2003 map. The one thing you have to keep in mind, and I didn't realise it with my first mesh track, it the entire mesh is rendered all the time. So even if you zone, use antiportals, whatever, that static mesh will mess up the optimization. That's why the map in the link uses track sections. If you have made other maps, UnWheel or not, can we see some of your stuff? Just add a link for us:)

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have been mapping for UnrealSpeed for a while now and since we are not going into 2004 i am looking for another racing mod to map for.
I have some screenshot of the latest map that i was making for USpeed, all meshes except for 3(Arrows, barriers and the Skybox) are my own meshes. I am getting better at 3dmax to the point in where i want to make the road completly in 3dmax. Also i am not sure if Unwheel is affected as much but the Physics engine put alot of lag on the multiplay side of Uspeed.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/Shot00003.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/Shot00004.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/Shot00005.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/Shot00006.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/Shot00007.jpg

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Basicly i should be asking are you going to add vechiles ONSsluaght map way or Bulldog way(ut2003 way). The Onsluaght vechiles run on meshes with no collision hulls which means more FPS to the game and thats what I am looking for.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Smokin said:
Basicly i should be asking are you going to add vechiles ONSsluaght map way or Bulldog way(ut2003 way). The Onsluaght vechiles run on meshes with no collision hulls which means more FPS to the game and thats what I am looking for.

No you can't do it that way because the players choose their vehicle from a menu. The system is very much like the Bulldog vehicle factory, you need one for each player.

By the way the map looks nice, if you ask Steven with your bestest best voice on he might just make you some good lookin' buildings for it too.

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
I would think you can inserted the cars into the map a similar way as the ONS game type with keeping the menu selection it would just require abit of coding.

I have a video clip of the City track, Its not the latest version but its close.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/UnrealSpeed.avi.
Also I know the buildings arnt that great they were a learning curve for textureing in 3dmax.

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
haven't looked at ther clip yet, will do in a min, but unfortunately we got 3 weeks to Phase III and we gotta make it 2K4 compatible. we do not have time to make the cars "drag and drop". Anyway if u open say City Track you'll see it pretty much is just drag and drop anyway (the vehicle factories are a red car shape with an arrow). In fact when I make my maps I just copy the actor and paste.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Thanks for the links Smokin, you have alot of variety in your buildings, nice layout. The tree doesn't look like one I have seen, is it custom from USpeed? To partially answer your question, I don't build collision meshes for the road sections, they created problems for the vehicles. So I used the SetSimpleKarmaCollision=true setting, this worked much better. The advantage for you of using this is you can go either way, if no collision hulls are needed for the vehicle just set SetSimpleKarmaCollision=False and you will be fine.

I couldn't get the .avi link to work:(

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
I made the the trees my self and most of whats in the level. I understand how to put in vehicals, i was just wondering in what way you were going with the vehical coding i want to find a mod which will use the ONS vehical coding as they seem to beable to have alot of vehicals running in the game without lag.
I havnt played Unwheel much, do you get much lag when playing with 12 people on the map?

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I have only played with 2 other player, so 3 is the most online players I have experienced. We noticed the lag ended when a certain player wasn't in the game, so I don't know what caused the lag.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
stevenhorton said:
I have only played with 2 other player, so 3 is the most online players I have experienced. We noticed the lag ended when a certain player wasn't in the game, so I don't know what caused the lag.

anyway the maps are designed that if you're against good enough players, you won't need 12 people.

I saw the AVI, very impressive! Especially the second map on there. Although it could do with some different trees, those trees there are all the same and I've never seen a forest with only trees of exactly the same type. Steve can probably help out with that too. (check his website)

Also for UnWheel you'll have to scale everything up quite a bit to fit all the different vehicle sizes in, and I'm not exactly sure by how much, and you have to bear in mind that the vehicles do go a bit faster than the USpeed ones do.

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
ProjectX i will have to dissagree with you that good players are enough. I prefer to race in a race with 8 to 12 players rather than with 4 expert players. I will try and look for either a coder or another racing mod group as i really want to try out the new vehical coding that came with UT2004. If all that fails i might just release the two maps that i showed you as community maps.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Smokin said:
I would also look into the ONS style as they have bot support for it already might only need a little fine tuning.

yeah we are already, thanx for the contribution tho

:cake:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and regards to FPS problems here's a quote from someone who's played it:

Turns2Ashes said:
really nice mod though. i was getting 10 fps with unrealspeed and wanted to get a good car mod. looks like i succeeded.

This quote can be found on the UnWheel! Thread by carmatic in the general threads section.

Last edited:

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Ok now ProJectX that was just lame dont try and tell me that your mod was heaps better in FPS than Unrealspeed i was modding on the team and i can tell you heaps of things that are better in the mod than in Unwheel. We had some good features but the Phyics engine laged the whole game down thats why i was asking if you where going to use the ONS vehicals as it should provide a lag free game, It looks like you suffer from the same problem.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Hey Smokin, not to change the topic but you mentioned you were familiar with unrealspeed, I am not, but i wanted to check it out real quick and a friend of mine and i downloaded it and we both get the same error when we run it, have you seen this error, I have a 2600xp 512meg DDR and a radeon 9500, my friend, diego1203 has a 3000xp 1gig of ram and a 9700 and we both get this error. If you have any input that would be cool :)

Attachments

• urealspeedError.JPG
    urealspeedError.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 31

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Smokin said:
Ok now ProJectX that was just lame dont try and tell me that your mod was heaps better in FPS than Unrealspeed i was modding on the team and i can tell you heaps of things that are better in the mod than in Unwheel. We had some good features but the Phyics engine laged the whole game down thats why i was asking if you where going to use the ONS vehicals as it should provide a lag free game, It looks like you suffer from the same problem.
:rolleyes:
Hey no need to start a flame war, it IS a quote I DID NOT INVENT IT. Somebody said it who has obviously tried both out, so if you can't take it get lost, k?

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Umm, let's try to clam down...

We don't need or want an UnrealSpeed vs UnWheel war please...

UnWheel will most likely not use the SVehicle base in the future, we'll probably stick with UT2003's KVehicle. The main reason being that we would need a completely new set of vehicles and basically throw away everything we have.