1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ut2004 Mapping!

Discussion in 'Editing' started by Smokin, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Smokin

Smokin New Member

Sorry i am not try to piss anyone off here just trying to find out what Shrimp said. Your mod looks good you have some cool car models and the maps look good as well I dont know what your driving model is like, but I didnt like the early versions(took us a while to fine tune ours and it still wasnt perfect). Also i wasnt a fan of the gametype i played as i was the only person in the map, but i have seen you have addressed that nicely with a few more game types. Anyway good luck on the mod

2. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Don't worry about it :D

Good luck with UnrealSpeed too, I think both our mods have different enough objectives and gameplay styles to exist alongside eachother without needing to compete... Except in MSUC, but we're competing against all mods anyway ;).

3. ProjectX

ProjectX Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps

yeah and *shudders* Deathball. Let us unite against the infamy that is deathball! (well at least we can hope they won't enter for one of the stages eh?)

4. jerdaygo

jerdaygo How jerdaygo?

off the topic

I hope my post was in no way misunderstood, I really want to try out UnrealSpeed, I just saw your post Smokin that said you had worked with the UnrealSpeed team and though you might real quick have an answer to my problem, I have not had a chance yet to really look into the error (like going to there forum) but thought you might have seen this already. The opening video plays and so do the menus, and what i have seen looks pretty darn cool :)

5. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

Dang, I was hoping unwheel would go to S-Vehicles as well :( , as they have many more advantages over K-Vehicles. See quote and link below.Big advantage ( besides major speed increase)is you can actually have player models moving around in vehicles (built in).S-Vehicles also have stunt mode capabilitie built in(get points for doing crazy ass stunts). I am familiar with setting up S-Vehicles in Max and importing into UEd, so if you need help setting up vehicles for use in unwheel, i would be more than happy to help out in any way.

Quote from UDN (Epic Website)
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/SVehicleCreation

"Creation Overview

SVehicles are a different type of Karma vehicle than KVehicles. The main difference between SVehicles and KVehicles is that SVehicles are made of skeletal meshes as opposed to static meshes. You access SVehicles from the "Animations" browser and you export SVehicles from the modeling program with ActorX. Because the meshes have skeletons, SVehicles can include things like tires and moving gun turrets in the single mesh for the vehicle. Previously, with KVehicles, any moving part has to be a separate mesh and a separate object.

SVehicles can be made in both Maya and 3D Studio MAX though the creation process is very different for each. Maya uses bones to control the different parts of the mesh. This is very similar to the normal animated skeletal mesh creation for Unreal. MAX on the other hand does not use any bones, despite the fact that this is a skeletal mesh. Object hierarchy in MAX can be used to generate a skeleton in Unreal. The different parts of the mesh are actually different objects in MAX all "linked" to the root object.

Once created, unlike all other skeletal meshes for Unreal, SVehicles are not animated. The only thing that is important is the mesh/refpose; this is the only thing you should export from the modeling program and the only thing you should import into UnrealEd. Once in Unrealed, SVehicles are not linked to any existing animation.

Rendering Speed Concerns

Traditionally, rendering speed is a concern for skeletal meshes in Unreal. This however is not the case for SVehicles, because they can take advantage of Rigidize which will speed up the rendering of the parts of skeletal meshes that have only one influence. Given that SVehicles generally do not have vertices that are influence by 2 or more bones, Rigidize makes SVehicles render about as fast static meshes. "

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  6. ProjectX

We may eventually go over to SVehicle, but in the meantime we got to get stuff done for the MSUC deadlines, like A.I. for example.

7. Smokin

Smokin New Member

8. stevenhorton

stevenhorton Not of this World

Your work looks good Smokin:) I don't recall Unreal Speed having any mesh based tracks, I only went to them because you cannot texture terrain to look like a race track; meshes look much better. I then ran into the problem of covering the edges of the mesh where ever they went up or down hill, so I added the red and white edges just to have a margin of error. You may have said it, but what do you model in?

9. Smokin

Smokin New Member

I use 3dmax5 and my problem isnt the edges of the map, the cars are hitting something on the track and i have no idea what it is. I have redone part of the track with blocking volumes instead of a collision hull and the problem still continues. It happens for both mods Uspeed and Unwheel.

Are you able to turn off shadows casting for BSP shapes?

10. ProjectX

You can turn off shadow casting but I can't remember what it is. On the collision side of things try turning all the collision properties to false IN THE STATICMESH BROWSER for those meshes not on the actualy mesh itself. That way you get a very detailed and very realisticly collisioned road for the Karma.

Map looks sweet btw.

11. stevenhorton

Smokin, I also a collision problems:( However, they all happen with either the centipede, Master of Disaster or the Humvee; no other vehicles :hmm: The error also occurs in approximatly the same place on every map. One map I was able to fix by moving the entire world up about 4096uu. I have no idea what this is:p

12. stevenhorton

Well, I found out what was causing the collision errors in CityTrack; one mesh was causing all the problems, when I removed it there were no more errors:) The one mesh causing the errors was the track mesh:p

13. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

Yep, I am having issues with track sections as well, the lower body cars hitting the edge of the road section and flipping. This is the reason for my delay in releasing this sucker. :(

Next level I make, the entire road will be one or 2 pieces, totally made in max and imported. While the modular road system is nice, this collision issue problem is a royal pain in the arse, and consumes way too much time and frustration trying to tweak it. :)

14. ProjectX

I only got the problems on one map. In this one the cars would occasionally sink into the ground.

15. stevenhorton

The collision problem with the CityTrack mesh is much more severe than hitting the edges and flipping, I hit an invisible wall in several places on the track. There seem to be no way to use the mesh and have a track usable for all the vehicles. Btw, does the configure Bots option work for UnWheel? That would allow determining which vehicles could use a particular map.

16. ProjectX

I haven't given it a try yet. I'll tell you if it does but I doubt it will.

17. Smokin

Smokin New Member

A few pics of my latest track.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/US-Racetrack1.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/US-Racetrack2.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/US-Racetrack3.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/US-Racetrack4.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/US-Racetrack5.jpg
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~hyoung/US-Racetrack6.jpg

My next track will be more of a rally style track for single player racing in which I hope to make it atleast 4 mins long with nice long streches and a few Hair pins. It should be for UnrealSpeed and Unwheel.

18. stevenhorton

Looking good Smokin:)

19. carmatic

carmatic New Member

heeyy thats a nice lookin map, i luv the 'holiday' look of it... you know, the stuff you find in profesionally done arcade racers and stuff.... just needs to have more random stuff in it to look at, thats all

and oh, i got an idea, like, can the unwheel exhibit some kind of an unrealspeed compatibility mode? like , umm... play the maps, interpret the vehicle spawn points, rescale the vehicles if neccesarry, etc etc... that would be kinda... umm... adding the list of maps we can all play!

and on a side note... is unrealed the cheapest commercial computer artistry program available?

20. Smokin

Smokin New Member

I was thinking of adding Billboards around the map which should give abit more colour.
    UnrealSpeed uses playerstarts as starting points so if you want to play Uspeed maps in Unwheel you will have to add the Unwheel Vehical coding to each map.

Unrealed may be cheap but it isnt awesome you still need a program like 3dmax or Maya to make the Quality 3d models on the other hand the unreal engine is awesome.