Upcoming Build - Bug Report Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
I know this isnt bug related but I did hear from Stranglet today, and he said his computer was down and thats why he didnt get us any music for this build, but he is back and has been making music, and he said he has been making some map specific stuff too, when he gets them done and gets them to me I will make them avalible :)

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
I've just started my next map and I plan on using some karma actors in it. It seems that I am having problems very similar to the kball problems. The objects that the client sees aren't in the same place as the objects that the server sees and vice versa. Hopefully when kball gets fixed other karma objects will be fixed as well.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
WOW!!!! Nice job UltraNew_B:D I do think it is time to change your online name, how's about MaxMaster instead:) BTW UltraNew_B and Shrimp, you will know when you have the vehicles correct when they can make the ramp jump in lostgods; those ramps are the distance apart that could easily be jumped with my cars before the new code :lol:

Last edited:

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
OK, finished importing the player model ingame. The file is on the ftp, it's called: DM_UW_PlayerModel_July30_2004.zip (455kb)

P.S - Steven, can you plz make a red helmet version for the helmet, the current is a hack job i did quickly, preferably the same red color/shade as the jersey. :D

Here is an ingame pic:
DMUWPlayerModel03.jpg

DMUWPlayerModel04.jpg

Last edited:

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
ProjectX said:
Looks really good! :2thumb: I hope this doesn't produce nasty visuals in the in-car camera mode.

Nope, no effect on incar stuff, same as now. Incar camera does not display any player model at all. BTW, if your not aware, F4 key switches to incar camera mode, so you can test for yourself. The scroll button on your mouse acts a zoom function in Third Person mode.

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
That second pic with the driver holding the gun reminds me of Mafia, that was a cool game.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
OK I'm done and I've uploaded my finished maps (at well under half the original file size) onto the FTP. (could you delete the files marked "Delete Me" Jon? Thanx.) I've also fixed the spawning as a dead vehicle problem and the HOM in Mawes, Caribbean and Arborea.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
hey PX just looked at your newly uploaded map, they are pretty sweet :) the only one that bothers me is UWRC-Mawes, it is a cool map dont get me wrong, but its not a 43.6 meg map, I have zipped just this level and put it on the ftp in the root directory so that maybe we can all take a look at it and see what is making it so big, I will look at it too, but maybe Steve or Adam could too. And if a problem is found just upload the one map and I can add it back to your rar file :), BTW UWRC-Samurai is awsome :) :) :)

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
I just had a look at Mawes and I think I found the problem, almost every piece of bsp in that map is totaly off the grid, and many of the bsp objects are oddly shaped. The map is over 40 meg and I deleted all of the most oddly shaped pieces and it went down to 20 something meg right away. The first thing that you want to make sure of is that you have drag grid turned on, it's that little button at the bottom of the editor that looks like a grid, this should always be turned on whenever you are moving or creating bsp, although it's fine to turn if off when moving static meshes. Also you want to avoid turning the drag grid size down too far(it's the little combo box right next to the drag grid button), most maps can be done with the drag grid set to 16, if you need to go lower than 4 than you should probably find a differnt way to do what you want to do. Secondly, bsp should be keept as simple as posible, if you need to make a shape that is more complicated than a simple cube or eight sided cylinder than you should consider using a static mesh, the general rule is to only carve out your world space with bsp and fill it up with static meshes, although filling up the space with SIMPLE bsp that aligns to the grid is perfectly fine too. So keep learning maya because you are going to need it more and more.

Considering the rared size of the map, only 3+ meg, I don't think it would be worth rebuiling all of the bsp, even after I deleted several pieces of bsp the rared size only went down less than a meg even though the unrared size went down by 20 meg. I do however think that in your future maps you need to rethink the way you use bsp.

Hopefully Steven or someone else will have someting else to add, bsp has always been one of my weak points.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
Hopefully Steven or someone else will have someting else to add, bsp has always been one of my weak points.

Same with my, I prefer to use mostly SMs and Terrain, I can't remember using much BSP for the Mawes level, I think I converted those walls over to Static Mesh, and if I haven't I will do. The problem with SMs is that they just don't have the same wonderful light quality.

oh and I always have grid snap on and the grid rarely goes below 16, for some reason when I duplicate brushes they seem to decide to move off the grid. Does this happen to anyone else?

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
ProjectX said:
for some reason when I duplicate brushes they seem to decide to move off the grid. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, it happens to me all the time, temple run has alot of stuff that is off the grid because of it.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
:eek: Yay, yay, yay... this is all looking very promising. Ever since I got unwheel I've been dying to play it MP.

One issue I had though, is that at the start of races, when a lot of vehicles where visible... there would be a touch of slow down. (now I don't have that bad a system either - Xp 3200+, raedeon 9600 XT 256) so I was wondering whether adding an actual driver model would'nt add to the slow down...
even tough the driver model does look sweet.

Good luck with all the work... keep it up!

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
|dub| said:
One issue I had though, is that at the start of races, when a lot of vehicles where visible... there would be a touch of slow down. (now I don't have that bad a system either - Xp 3200+, raedeon 9600 XT 256) so I was wondering whether adding an actual driver model would'nt add to the slow down...
even tough the driver model does look sweet.

Hey Dub, thanks for the great comments, we appreciate it !!! :D

Regarding the slow downs, those issues ARE gone in the upcoming release, since we have ported all vehicles to S-Vehicle format (what UT2K4 uses) as opposed to the old K-Vehicle format which was a very laggy, cpu killer, when there was anymore than 1 vehicle in a map.

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Yeah, and now my decrepit (although upgraded, it's still decrepit with bloody iSearch and incredifinds and other such adware/spyware that spysearch and adaware can't zap. Grr...) PC can run it on a LAN with my bro and sis!

EDIT: I noticed, Ultra that in your screens the trees appear to be two sheets with tree textures added. Is it at all possible to add some more polys to em like Steven's trees, only it would give them a serious visual boost, or would it seriously damage FPS?

Last edited:

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
The trees have 6 sheets with a normal trunk. Its just the angle makes it sems odd. High poly trees are not really necessary in a racing game, id rather exchange those polys for more cars.There are plenty of really nice trees included with UT2K4 as well :)

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Yeah, but steves are only lime 150 polys each man, and multiple duplicated SMs hardly have any overhead on the actual FPS. That's why I could fill Sherwood with hundreds of his trees, WITH waving leaves.