1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal PSX

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Leo(T.C.K.), May 15, 2009.

1. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Active Member

Unreal PSX was cancelled Unreal port with all new content(unlike N64 version I think which was handled by Epic themselves during 97), also Unreal PSX was a working title and by the time the game was cancelled it was 50 percent complete or something...but they made the framerates smooth etc..the lead designer was Eric Reuter, who originally worked for Unreal(credited only a additional level design, because his whole levels (like amethyst skycity level) didn't make it to game, but he helped designing other aspects of game (perhaps some of jeremy war's work include some of his work too or leftovers) and also on a cancelled level pack for Unreal.

Unreal PSX had all new levels and also some new features (there was revealed even one new weapon). And the levels were unfinished, so it is very possible it would look much better in final version.

But excuse the quality of these levels, they had to make sure it will run smooth on PSX with rather high FPS.

I found 4 persons who worked on that game so far, one of them is this designer, which he shows some of his levels in screenshots and video:

http://www.nathansilvers.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=8

Also download
    http://www.nathansilvers.com/demo.php

It has shown unreal psx in action.
    The video is dating back to 2004, so it does not show his most recent stuff.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Very interesting bits, thanks for sharing. I guess PSX hardware proved to be too weak for smooth enough framerates so they canned project, but the footage showed some interesting levels.

3. Leo(T.C.K.)

No...

4. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Well, your quote still talks about some performance issues since 18 frames per second isn't somethig I call smooth, but I guess we'll never get to know exact reasons behind this story. Personally I don't feel sorry about that since Unreal was already released on PC platform and the loss was only on PS side.

5. Leo(T.C.K.)

But all the levels were exclusive ones...
    And 18 FPS was rather high for that time.

And before that cancellation was this confusing thing:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  6. Diehard

Diehard New Member

Than its actually very likelly he still has all the files! It might be worth to go ask him, if he wants to release them for public. Needless to say i happelly add them to the Unreal Texture site.

7. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Thanks for all of this, I hope Nathan can be contacted.

The Nali Village looked very nice.

8. Leo(T.C.K.)

I already did ask him and other people too, still waiting for response.

9. UBerserker

Looked at the video too. I'm really wondering what could be that location with the lava below that fallen ship and those tripping tubes.

Heh, I knew the game was supposed to run on Software Rendering graphics D:

10. Leo(T.C.K.)

I first thought it was basement or something, but it can even be Vortex Rikers as Gizzy suggested at oldunreal, it can be under it...from the other side or something...but it might be as well another ship.

11. UBerserker

It has different colours so I don't think it would be the Vortex Rikers...

...unless the VR did get a new look in UnrealPSX.

12. Leo(T.C.K.)

OK..Matthew Kagle (another designer who I contacted) just told me he has all the files and he will release it if the lead will not have problems will releasing the material.

13. UBerserker

Hoping for it being possible.

14. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I remember hearing about this years and years ago from someone I knew who worked on it. Really a disappointing story, when you hear it all. They basically busted their asses to get it to run on the Playstation...and run well, apparently...only to get the project dropped. From what I heard, one level had you on one of the Na Pali moons.

Leo, try to get in contact with James Hamer Morton. Otherwise known as eVOLVE.

15. Diehard

Diehard New Member

That indeed would be really cool, if that could happen.

And that happens more often that you think, and pretty much the same thing happens all the time to level designers. God knows how many levels, textures, mods, weapons dont show up in the final versions. Trust me, its a truckload alright.

16. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop is cool

I'm itching for some new content, hope they can release the levels.

17. Leo(T.C.K.)

It would be good if also Shinigami and Makkura released their packs, they showed up in 2007 and announced the plans to release the packs, shinigami even wanted to release the old levels from 2000 and then there was nothing heard of them..someone should contact them or something.

K thx Prophet, I did not know Evolve worked on it.

18. Exus Tecius

Exus Tecius like diamonds in the sky

i hope there will be also new creatures and weapons if it should be released.

19. Leo(T.C.K.)

There was one new weapon at least...about creatures I have no idea.

Btw Mr.Prophet... I tried emailing eVOLVE but the adress I got does not exist anymore..it just returned back to me, can you give me some recent contact to him? Thx..just pm me or something.

20. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I have not been in contact with him for...wow, years really. If his old email does not work then I'm afraid I don't know how to contact him. Although I heard he has some movies on you tube, if you want to try that route. Sorry I can't be of more help.