Unreal beta the begining

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
richardmoust.googlepages.com
Delacroix said:
THUGLIFE - rightho, boss. But he doesn't seem to understand. I already PMed Sir_Brizz and Dark Pulse in this case... they did nearly nothing.

But there are some rare items that scarbelly made available - Unreal 223m code and this '91 Unreal DOS game. Incredible he found it, I thought it was only made for the Amiga.

BTW - Someone give me moderating privileges for just 24 hours and I'll solve this problem. Damn, one hour is enough...

lol :p

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
2 patches for unreal 1998

v2.25f

Unreal v2.25f patch

Screenshots (5)
Download Now Filename: unrealpatch225f.exe
Size: 7.2MB
Posted: Jun 21, 1999
Downloads: 179
Makes a number of fixes to sound, visuals and gameplay
Minimum System Requirements:
16 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM, 100 MB disk space

the v2.24 patch

Filename: unrealpatch224v.exe
Size: 7.0MB
Posted: May 27, 1999
Downloads: 201
An unreal patch for an unreal game
Minimum System Requirements:
16 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM, 100 MB disk space

sourch:http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/unreal/index.html?q=unreal

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
huge page from atari

Unreal - PC

Installation | Error Messages | Video Issues | Sound Issues | Multiplayer Issues | Control Issues | General Troubleshooting | Improving Performance | General Questions | Hints/Cheat Codes | Downloads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Requirements
The following is a description of the minimum system you can use to run Unreal. If you attempt to run Unreal on a system that does not meet or exceed these requirements, the game will not run correctly, or not at all.

To run Unreal, you must have:

a 166 MHz Pentium class computer
16 megabytes of RAM
A video card with 2 megabytes of video RAM.
Windows 95 installed
A CD-ROM drive
100 megabytes of free hard drive space

Although Unreal will run with the system mentioned above, it's performance may suffer under certain conditions. A system that has the following devices will run the game very well under most if not all conditions:

a 233 Megahertz Pentium MMX or Pentium II processor
32 or 64 megabytes of RAM
A 3dfx Voodoo class 3d accelerator
450 megabytes of free hard drive space

If you are a hard core gamer that demands extreme performance under all conditions, the following components will do the trick for you:

A Pentium II 266 or faster processor
64 or 128 megabytes of RAM
A 3dfx Voodoo or Voodoo2 class 3D accelerator

Installation

Before you install Unreal, you should quit all other applications you have running. This includes any background tasks you may have running such as screen savers, virus scanners, etc.

Next, insert the Unreal CD into your CD-ROM drive. If an installation screen does not appear, you probably have the Windows 95 AutoPlay feature turned off, and will have to bring up the installation screen manually. To do this, Double click on the My Computer icon, then on your CD-ROM drive icon, then on the Setup.exe file.

Once the installation screen appears, follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation.
During the installation process, you will be asked to install DirectX. It is highly recommended that you install this feature for optimal performance.

Error Messages

I see a "General Protection Fault" when opening the Advanced Options Menu.
This problem usually occurs as the result of outdated video card drivers. Update your drivers to the latest version available.

For more information on this topic, please see our How to Update your Drivers FAQ.
I see a "Server Full", "Server is already at capacity" or "Assertion Failed" error when trying to load a saved game.
To fix this problem, you'll need to edit the unreal.ini file in the Unreal System folder like this:

Double click the My Computer icon on your Windows desktop.
Double click the icon for the hard drive where you installed the game files (Usually C:).
Double click the folder where the game files are installed (usually "Unreal").
Double click the System folder.
Double click the icon for the file named Unreal.ini.
Find the section of this file labeled Engine.Gameinfo.
Find the entry for MaxPlayers.
Change the value next to MaxPlayers from 16 to 32.
Click on "File".
Click on "Save".
Exit Notepad.
Try loading your saved game again.

This error occurs if you have Reference drivers from 3dfx installed for your card. Unreal does not support these drivers. You will need to get the latest patch for this game.
When trying to start the game, I see the following error message:

Critical error:
Assertion failed : CacheItems! :NULL [File: F:\Unreal\Core\Src\Uncache.cpp] [ Line : 414 ]

History : FMemCache::Flush <- FGlideTMU::Flush <- UGlideRenderDevice::Flush <- UGlideRenderDevice::Init <- TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::Open Window <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

This error occurs if you have Reference drivers from 3dfx installed for your card. Unreal does not support these drivers. You will need to get the latest patch.

I have a 3dfx Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 card and see an error message that mentions "Glide".

Download and install the latest reference drivers for your card from the 3dfx website at:

http://www.3dfx.com

If Unreal does not work properly after installing this file, you will need the latest patch.

When I try to launch the Unreal editor, an error message comes up that reads: "Error 50003 in Core.dll"

Before you launch the editor, make sure that you have the Microsoft Game Device Profiler disabled. The Game Device Profiler will appear as a small icon next to the clock on your Windows 95 task bar. Just right click on this icon, then click on disable. The editor will not launch with the profiler running.

While playing Unreal, an error message reading "Unreal has run out of virtual memory" came up, and the game stopped playing.

You need to free up more hard disk space on your primary drive in order to play. Unreal's large levels and rich textures take up a lot of virtual memory. We recommend having 100 megabytes of free hard disk space for running the game, and 200 megabytes or more of free hard disk space for the editor.

When trying to start the Unreal Editor, I got an error message stating "Unexpected Error" or "Wrong version of runtime DLL"

The Unreal Editor requires Visual Basic 5 Runtime DLL's to run. If you do not have the correct version of these files installed on your system, you can download updated DLL files from our FTP server at:

ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches/unreal/vbrun60.exe

After downloading, double click on the vbrun60.exe file and click on Unzip. When done unzipping, click on Close. Now open the 'Unreal Patch' folder on your Win95 Desktop and run the setup.exe file to run the patch install. Once the updated is installed, you can delete the 'Unreal Patch' folder from your Desktop

After installing Unreal, and then rebooting my computer, an error message came up stating "this version of CTL3D32.DLL is for Windows NT"

In some cases, the Unreal install program will overwrite your current version of CTL3D32.DLL with the NT enhanced version. While the game will run just fine with this version, it may cause problems with other programs.

To correct this, you can download an update from our FTP site at:

ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches/unreal/vbrun60.exe

After downloading, double click on the vbrun60.exe file and click on Unzip. When done unzipping, click on Close. Now open the 'Unreal Patch' folder on your Win95 Desktop and run the setup.exe file to run the patch install. Once the updated is installed, you can delete the 'Unreal Patch' folder from your Desktop.

The game installed OK, but when I try to run the game I get an error that reads "General Protection Fault: History: Init_Engine" And then the launcher quits. What's wrong?

This error usually occurs on systems that do not meet the minimum system requirements for the game as listed on the box and at the top of this document. If your system does not meet or exceed these requirements, our technicians will not be able to help you to get the game running.

This error can also occur on systems using Cyrix processors. In this case, the problem can be fixed by installing the latest upgrade patch for Unreal. You can download the patch from here.

When installing the game, I see an error message stating "An error occurred during the move data process-113, component engine, file group engine, file n:\system\sktrooperskins.int".

This error occurs if any of your disk drives are using MS-DOS compatibility mode. Drives that are in compatibility mode cannot read long Windows 95 filenames.

Try the following:

Using a text editor such as notepad.exe, open the file C:\CONFIG.SYS. Look for any entries that contain any information about your CD-ROM drive. At the beginning of each of thee lines, type in REM in capital letters. This will force your computer to ignore these lines when you reboot.

Do the same in the file C:AUTOEXEC.BAT, except this time, REM out any lines that contain the word MSCDEX.

Using the RIGHT mouse button, click on My Computer and select Properties, then select the Device Manager tab, and LEFT click on the plus sign next to the entry for CD-ROM.

Highlight the entry for your CD-ROM drive (it should be directly under the word CD ROM after clicking the plus sign) and click the REMOVE button.

Click on OK, then reboot your computer. Windows should re-detect your CD-ROM drive and install 32-bit drivers for it. If it doesn't, then you'll have to contact the manufacturer of your CD-ROM drive or computer and get the latest Win95 drivers for your CD-ROM drive.

For more information about updating your drivers, please refer to our How to Update Your Drivers FAQ.

Unreal should now install just fine.

Video Issues

For help with getting the game to work with your 3D accelerator card, see the section "3D Accelerators".

I can't seem to access the lower resolution screen modes in the game.

Some older DirectDraw drivers do not support low resolution 16 and 32-bit color modes. If the only full-screen options shown in Unreal are high-res, you might try obtaining a newer DirectDraw driver for your video card.

If you have not already done so, try installing DirectX 5.0 from the Unreal CD. If this doesn't work, contact your computer or video card manufacturer for the latest DirectX drivers for your card.

For more information about updating your drivers, please refer to our How to Update Your Drivers FAQ.

The game is playing in a small window. How can I make it play in the full screen?

Press the ENTER key on your keyboard while holding down the ALT key while the game is running. The game should instantly switch to full screen mode. Or, you can pick a full screen mode directly from the Advanced Options menu.

When I try to switch to full screen mode, the game goes right back to a window, displays an error message, or crashes.

Some video drivers do not properly support DirectDraw full-screen mode in 16- or 32-bit color at any resolution. Try installing DirectX 5 from the CD. If this does not work, you can try to obtain the latest DirectX driver update for your card from your computer or video card manufacturer.

I'm running Windows NT, and the game crashes when I switch back and forth from the software renderer to 3DFX more than once.

Currently, we do not have a fix for this problem. The best way to avoid this problem is to stick with one rendering option.

Once in a while I get weird garbage graphics on wall textures or creatures.

Hit the TAB key and type in FLUSH. Your problem should clear up.

When running Unreal, the picture on my monitor is off-center and/or some of it is not visible off the edges of the monitor.

Unreal runs in video modes that your monitor might never have used before. Just use the controls on your monitor to set the size, centering, and geometry of the picture. This will not change the settings for any of your other video modes and you should only have to do it once with Unreal.

3D Accelerators
I have a 3D-accelerator card that supports 3DFX Glide, PowerVR, Direct3D or OpenGL. How can I switch Unreal into the correct mode for my card?

From the Unreal main menu:

Select "Options". Select "Advanced Options". Click on "Drivers". Click on "GameRenderDevice". Click on the correct renderer for your type of card.

Please note that OpenGL and Direct3D modes will only be listed if you have upgraded the game to version 2.18 or higher. For information on how to upgrade to the latest version, see the section near the bottom of this document labeled "Patch Information". If you already have the latest patch installed, read on.

I've installed the latest patch for Unreal and the latest drivers for my card but I still can't get Direct3D mode to work.

Unreal's Direct3D mode requires DirectX version 6. The Unreal CD shipped with DirectX 5. You can download version 6 from Microsoft's web site at:

http://www.microsoft.com/directx/download.asp

If you've already tried this and you have a card that uses the ATI Rage Pro chipset, see the section for that card below.

I'm using a 3DFX Voodoo Rush based 3D accelerator card, and cannot get the game to play.

The latest upgrade patch for the game provides support for the Voodoo Rush chipset. This patch is still in it's BETA stage and may not work for all Voodoo Rush based cards. You can download the patch from our Unreal Downloads page.

In the meantime, you can still use the Software Rendering option to play the game. You can also try the following fix that works on come voodoo rush cards.

Install Unreal.
Download and Install the latest GLIDE beta drivers from http://www.3dfx.com
Use the Win95 Find option to find all instances of 'glide2x*. DLL' and all instances of fxmemmap.vxd, then delete all of them from your hard drive.
On the Unreal CD, run the 'grtvgr.exe' file in the \glide\ folder.
Reboot your computer.

You should now get acceleration from your Voodoo Rush Card.

I have a 3dfx Voodoo 2 card, and the graphics don't look right, or the game doesn't run smoothly.

Download and install the latest reference drivers for your card from the 3dfx website at:

http://www.3dfx.com

If Unreal does not work properly after installing this file, you will need the "Unreal Glide Driver with Multi Texture Support for Voodoo 2" patch available from our Unreal Downloads page

I have a Voodoo Banshee based card and after installing the Unreal 2.19 or later patch, the game will no longer play.

In order to run this card in Glide or OpenGL mode you must download and install the appropriate reference drivers for your type of card from the 3dfx website.

Please note that even with the current reference driver installed, the Banshee still cannot support OpenGL in a window, and cannot switch from fullscreen to a window without crashing. This will hopefully be addressed in future revisions to the driver.

I have a Riva TNT based card and after installing the Unreal 2.19 or higher patch, the game will no longer play.

If you do not have the latest drivers for your TNT based card, you will experience problems when trying to run the game in OpenGL or Direct3D. If you already have the latest drivers for your particular card installed, but the game still won't work, try installing version 0.48 of the TNT reference drivers. These are available at www.nvidia.com under the "drivers" link in the support section.

Once you have installed the drivers, restart your machine so that they can take effect. The game should then run in OpenGL or Direct3D mode just fine.

I have a card that uses the Riva 128/128ZX chipset and OpenGL mode won't work properly.

Install the latest reference drivers from Riva, currently version 2.77. You can download these drivers on the Internet from www.rivazone.com under the DRIVERS link.

You must also have installed the latest upgrade patch to Unreal. Only versions 2.18 and later have OpenGL as an available rendering option.

I'm using a card with the ATI Rage Pro chipset and can't get Unreal to work in Direct3D mode.

Download and install the new Beta reference drivers from the ATI Website.

You must also have installed the latest upgrade patch to Unreal. Only versions 2.18 and later have Direct3D as an available rendering option.

I'm using a 3D card that was not mentioned and I'm having problems using it with this game.

You probably just need to update your card's drivers. Check with the card manufacturer to see if a newer driver is available.

Sound Issues

I'm using an Aureal A3D 3D sound accelerator board such as the Diamond Monster Sound 3D. How do I enable 3D sound support?

You need to go into the Advanced Options Menu, and under Audio, turn on Use3dHardware to enable 3D sound card support.

You must then disable the Aureal's "A3D Splash Screen" in the Aureal configuration utility. If this is not disabled, Unreal may be unable to go into full-screen mode because of the splash screen interfering.

When I enable 3D Sound support, the game slows down dramatically.

You need to upgrade to the latest version of Aureal's A3D drivers. You can get these on the World Wide Web here.

My sound effects tend to lag behind the rest of the game when playing under Windows NT.

Because of the way operating system works, many Windows NT machines experience significant latency in their sound effects. There is no solution to this problem at this time.

I can't get 3D audio support to work right.

There is a patch available that will fix this problem. You can download the patch and find instructions for installing it on the World Wide Web here.

I'm using a Monster Sound M80 Sound Card and certain sounds tend to get "stuck". How can I fix this?

The Audio Patch available here should fix this problem. If you don't have Internet access or don't want to download this file, you can try turning down hardware acceleration in the Monster Sound Setup utility.

Why can't I select my sound card driver in the Drivers section of the Advanced Options menu?

The Galaxy audio driver listed is not a hardware driver for you sound card, but a software driver for the Galaxy audio system that Unreal uses. You do not need to select your own card's driver.

Multiplayer

While playing on the Internet, the game gets very slow or choppy.

There is a patch available that will fix this problem. You can download the patch from here. If you have already downloaded the patch, and still have problems with lag, here are some more solutions that you can try:

Go into Advanced Options / Networking / TCPIP Network Driver, and set your "ByteLimit" as follows:

For 28.8K modems, first try 2500. If you still get ÜberLag, try backing down to 2200. If that fails, try 2000. Some modems and ISP connections get significantly better bandwidth than others. For 56K modems, try 3000. If that fails, then try 3500 then 2000.

If you still have major lag problems, follow these steps:

Go into "Advanced Options" / "Networking" / "TCPIP Network Driver" and hit the "Reset to defaults" button to wipe out any custom settings that might affect the results.

Go into "Join Game" and choose your Internet speed. Be conservative (choose 28.8K unless you know you have a 56K or 64K connection).

Connect to a known-good server (such as WON).

On the console, type "RATE 20", which limits your frame rate to 20 fps.

Try playing for at least 5 minutes.

If the lag is reasonable -> Try increasing the rate slightly (i.e. RATE 25)got go back to step c.

If you experience huge lag -> Try decreasing the rate (i.e. RATE 15) and go back to step a.

I'm trying to play a LAN game of Unreal, but when I start it the computer returns to Windows with an error that says: "Dedicated Server can't listen: Not connected to Internet."

This error can be fixed by changing your Windows 95 network properties like this:

Click on Start
Click on Settings
Click on Control Panel.
Double click the "Network" icon.
In the list of installed components, double click on the TCP/IP protocol for your network adapter, NOT on the TCP/IP protocol for your dial up adapter!
Click on "Specify an IP address"
Type in an IP address for your computer. This address MUST start with 196, 197, or 198.
Click on OK.
9. Exit the control panel.

Your machine is now set up properly, but you must now make sure that all of the other computers on your network that will be involved in the game have similar IP numbers.

Example: Your Computer 198.138.98.1
Computer #2 198.138.98.2
Computer #3 198.138.98.3

Note that the first 3 fields (or parts) of these IP addresses are all identical. Only the last section should change, and only by 1 digit for each machine. This will ensure that your LAN game will work properly and that all computers will be able to connect.

I'm trying to set up a Botmatch using the instructions on page 10 of the Unreal manual, but it's not working.

Last minute tweaks to Unreal after the manual was printed changed this procedure considerably. To start a botmatch, select GAME from the Unreal main menu, then select Botmatch. Use the options in the Botmatch menu to set up your game type, map, and to configure the individual bots. Then, use the Start Game option to begin the game.

How do I play a multiplayer game?

If your computer is on a local area network, you can simply start a game from the multiplayer menu, and other players on your network can join in using the Join command in the Multiplayer menu.

If you want to play over the Internet, have an active TCP/IP connection running. In other words, you must be connected to the Internet. Then, to start a game, simply select Start in the multiplayer menu, and give out your IP address to others so that they can join. An easy way to find your IP address is to click on Start, then on Run, then type in winipcfg and press Enter.

To join an Internet game from the multiplayer menu, just type in the IP address of the game you wish to join and then press Enter. Or, enter the IP address into the favorites list for future games.

Why can't I play Unreal over the Internet with my 14.4 modem?

The minimum speed connection for acceptable Internet play performance is a 28.8K modem connection to your Internet Service Provider.

Every time a new player joins in our network game, the game pauses for a moment.

When a new player enters a network game, clients may experience a 1/4-second pause while the mesh, skin, and other data is loaded for that player. This is by design.

While playing on the Internet, the game gets very slow or choppy.

Unreal Internet play performance is highly dependent on the bandwidth of your connection, latency or ping time, and packet loss. The game is designed to be playable up to 300 millisecond ping times, 5% packet loss, and 28.8K connection speeds. Game performance degrades heavily under worse latency, packet loss, and bandwidth connections.

I was playing a multiplayer game of Unreal when I suddenly appeared in what looks like a jail cell. How do I get out?

If you are playing a deathmatch level with a frag limit or a time limit, the server is probably just switching to the next level. Next time, wait about 10 seconds to see if you appear on a new level. If you don't, you may have been disconnected from the server you were playing on. Press ESC, then use the menus to reconnect or join a new server.

I'm having trouble hosting an Unreal server…

There is a patch available that will allow you to run multiple Unreal servers per machine on the net, run a dedicated server without the CD in the drive, and allow clients to connect if you have a modified IpDrv.u file. This patch is available on the World Wide Web here.

How do I launch a Dedicated Server?

There is an option to launch a dedicated server from the Unreal Start menu. You can also launch a dedicated server from the command line for more control over gameplay options. For more information on this topic, please see the section entitled Dedicated Network Servers in the readme.txt file on your Unreal CD.

Control Issues

Why can't I jump, fire, and move at the same time?

Some PC keyboards can't recognize certain combinations of 3 or more keys pressed at the same time. You may want to try changing the key assignments for frequently used actions. An even better solution would be to play using the mouse. Using the mouse may take some getting used to, but it's a safe bet that you'll be a better player in the long run.

My joystick or other controller won't work in the game!

In order for a joystick to work correctly in Unreal, you must first be sure it is installed correctly in windows 95. To find out, click on Start, then on Settings, then on Control Panel, then on Joysticks. If your joystick is not listed, you will need to install it. Check the documentation that came with your joystick for further instructions.

If the joystick is present, make sure that it is calibrated, and then test it to see if all of the buttons are working.

Once the joystick is set up properly in Windows 95, you can set it up in the Customize Controls section of the Unreal Options menu.

My Joystick or Gamepad will only Strafe, or move from side to side. How can I change it so that my character can turn?

Click on "Options"
Click on "Advanced Options"
In the window that appears, click on "Advanced"
Click on "Raw Key Bindings"
Now scroll down until you find the line that reads "JoyX Axis astrafe speed=2"
Click on this line once
Click on the right hand side of this line and delete all the text that is there.
Type in the following: Axis aBaseX speed=2

Now you can close the advanced options window and try playing again. Your joystick should work normally. If you still want to strafe from time to time, you can bind any key you like to STRAFE in the Unreal controller setup menu.

How can I use the mousewheel on my Microsoft Intellimouse with Unreal?

Mousewheels aren't currently supported in Unreal. However, there is a work around. Use the IntelliMouse Extended Driver for Quake. This works for any mouse with a wheel. You can download the file and step by step instructions on how to use it on the World Wide Web at http://buzzkill.stomped.com.

My "Center View" key will not work in the game, no matter what it's set to.

Select "Options"
Set LookSpring to "True"

As long as you have it set this way, your center view key will work.

General Troubleshooting

My computer is having trouble reading or recognizing the Unreal CD. It works fine with all of my other CD's.

Many newer CD-ROM drives have built in features than can conflict with Windows 95's CD-ROM features. To fix these conflicts:

Click on Start
Click on Settings
Click on Control Panel
Double click the System icon
Click on the Performance tab on the top of the window
Click on the File System button
Click on the CD-ROM tab.
Set your Supplemental cache size slider all the way to the left
Set the Optimize access pattern box to "No read-ahead."
Click the OK buttons on the two windows you have open
Reboot your computer if it asks you to.
Try to install or run the game again.

When I start the game in Safe Mode, I cannot change any options in the "Advanced Options" menu.

There is a way to start the game in Safe Mode and still be able to modify your advanced options:

Click on the Windows 95 START button
Click on Run
Type in the following command line:

C:\Unreal\System\Unreal.exe -nosound -noddraw -nodsound -nohard

If you did not install Unreal to the default directory of "C:\Unreal", substitute the correct drive letter and directory name in the command line in step #3.

Unreal locks up the first time I try to run it.

Try starting Unreal in Unreal Safe Mode from the Windows 95 Start menu. This mode is similar to Windows 95's Safe Mode, meaning it runs Unreal with sound, DirectDraw, and 3D-hardware support disabled.

If this works, you can modify the options in Unreal's Advanced Options menu to turn off any options that may be causing problems, then run Unreal again.

My game suddenly crashes to the Desktop from time to time, and does not display any error message.

If you are using an AMD K6 processor and have modified it to run at a bus speed of 83 or 100 MHz, you must reset it to run at 66 MHz. AMD states that 66 MHz is the only safe bus speed supported by the K6. Once you have done this, the game should stop crashing.

First, make sure that you have closed all other applications before playing. To make sure you get rid of all of them, press control alt delete once to bring up the task manger, and end all tasks except Explorer and Systray.

If that doesn't help, try installing the Microsoft DirectX drivers from the CD. You can do this by clicking on Start, then on Programs, then on Unreal, then on Information, and finally on install DirectX. After DirectX finishes installing, you will need to reboot your computer to activate the drivers. Then, try running Unreal again.

You should always save your game from time to time, especially after completing a difficult area. This way, if the game crashes, you won't have to start over.

My game locks up from time to time.

First, make sure that you have closed all other applications before playing. To make sure you get rid of all of them, press control alt delete once to bring up the task manger, and end all tasks except Explorer and Systray.

If you are playing in full-screen and do not have a 3DFX accelerator, try turning off UseDirectSound in the Advanced Options/Audio menu. You can also prevent this problem by playing the game in a window.

If you have overclocked your Voodoo2 card, it may be overheating. Turn off your overclocking settings and try again. You can even try lowering your Voodoo2's clock rate to reduce overheating. If this isn't enough, increase the ventilation around your computer. If all else fails, turn off "Detail Textures" and "Volumetric Lighting". Some users have reported that this eliminates or reduces the frequency of the lockups.

The game tries to install itself every time I put the CD into the drive!

There are a few ways to get around this problem. The easiest way is to run Unreal first, and wait until it asks for the CD. You can also disable the AutoPlay feature on your system. To do this, click on start, then on settings, then on control panel, then double click the system icon. Now Click on the Device Manager tab, and click on the plus sign next to CD-ROM drives. Finally, double-click on your CD-ROM drive, and under the Settings tab, uncheck auto-insert notification.

Why is there no help file for the Unreal editor?

As stated in the game's documentation, the Unreal editor bundled with the game is only a pre-release beta version of the Actual Editor that will be released as a separate product. Certain features have not yet been implemented, including a help file.

There is, however, a short tutorial on the use of the editor in the Unreal/Help directory that is created when the game installed. Just double click on this file and scroll down until you see the section that deals with the Unreal editor.

How can I transfer my saved games to another computer, or keep my saved games after uninstalling the game?

Even if you keep your saved games when you uninstall, you will not be able to load up those saved games directly. This is because Unreal keeps track of which games you've saved, and a re-install of the game will not recognize your old saved games.

There is, however, a way around this. Copy your saved game files from the Unreal/Save folder into a completely separate folder on your hard driver, then uninstall Unreal.

When you re-install the game, save as many new games as you had old saved games… for instance, if you had 3 saved games before, save 3 new games now.

Exit out of Unreal, and copy over the new game files with your old game files. This will force Unreal to use your old saved games.

I can't seem to open UnrealEd's script editor.

There is a patch available that will fix this problem. You can download the patch and find instructions for installing it on the World Wide Web here.

Improving Performance

Make that your system meets the minimum system requirements to run the game. If it does not, you may be able to increase performance by following some of tips in this section, but don't be surprised if performance still suffers.
Close ALL other applications prior to running Unreal. This includes background tasks such as virus scanners, screen savers, and anything else you may see an icon for on your taskbar. To be absolutely sure that you are not running any unneeded applications, press control-alt-delete ONCE from the Windows 95 taskbar to bring up the task manager. End all tasks EXCEPT for Systray and Explorer. Ending either of these two tasks will crash your computer.
If you are not using a 3DFX or PowerVR based accelerator card, Unreal will default to software rendering. This is far slower than the renderer that you would use if you had an accelerator installed. If you cannot or do not want to buy an accelerator card, try running the game in a lower resolution, or in a window.
On nearly all machines, Unreal runs optimally in 16-bit color mode (rather than 32-bit color). You can select 16-bit color either from the main Unreal window. Alternatively, if you set your desktop resolution to 16-bit color, then Unreal defaults to 16-bit color.
The sound playback rate defaults to 22 kHz, which is optimal for Pentium machines with MMX. If you have an older, non-MMX machine, you can get better performance (though lower sound quality) by setting the playback rate to 11 kHz in the "Advanced Options" menu. If you have a fast, shiny new Pentium II, you might try using 44 kHz for the ultimate in sound quality.
If your computer is hooked up to a Dolby SurroundSound receiver, you should go into "Advanced Options" and turn on the "UseSurround" to take advantage of 360-degree Dolby sound panning, which rocks.
The "Advanced Options" menu contains many settings that enable you to trade off detail for performance. Check out the readme.txt file on your Unreal CD for more information.
Unreal's performance is highly dependent on the amount of memory that you have in your machine, and the amount of memory that is available. Machines with less memory will access their hard disk more frequently to load data, which causes sporadic pauses in game play. So, if you have a 32 megabyte (or less) machine, and you have already closed down any unnecessary programs loaded in memory, you may want to consider obtaining more memory. With memory prices continually falling, it's now reasonably affordable to upgrade to 64 or 128 megabytes of memory.
Unreal is very sensitive to CPU speed, memory bandwidth, and cache performance. Thus, it runs far better on leading-edge processors such as Pentium II's than it does on older ones such as non-MMX Pentiums.
For even more tips on improving performance, check out the "Smiling Nali Tips and Tweaks" page under the support link on the Unreal web site at www.unreal.com.

General Questions

How do I make my own levels?

The Unreal Editor is included on the Unreal CD. If you have already installed the editor, it will appear under Unreal in the Windows Start Menu.

Making your own levels is a complicated process that cannot be adequately explained by technical support. For documentation on using the Unreal editor, please visit the Unreal website at WWW.UNREAL.COM. This information is also available in the readme.txt file located on your Unreal CD, and in the Unreal Editor Tutorial document.

What 3D accelerators are supported by Unreal?

The retail version of Unreal natively supports 3DFX or PowerVR based cards. In order to use a Voodoo Rush or OpenGL based card, you will need to download an upgrade patch from our Unreal Downloads page.
How do I play the game with a third person view like in Tomb Raider?

Just follow these steps:

Open the Unreal console by pressing the ~ (tilde) key.
Type in behindview 1.

Your game should now run in 3rd person view. Some of the functions in the game may not work as expected when playing in this view. You can type in behindview 0 to go back to 1st person mode at any time during the game.

E-Mail Support Back to Top

Click the Email Support button below to contact us if the above FAQ has not answered your question.

Questions and Comments About This Site?

© 2003 Atari
Read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service

source:http://www.atari.com/us/support/faq/unreal_pc.asp

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
here a release for the amiga is same unreal as pc version

http://hol.abime.net/1819

happy browsing :p

here is the amiga version of unreal

was mistaken i think this is the unreal 1 patch

That patch applies to Unreal (c) 1990 Ordilogic Systems/Ubi Soft,
PAL- and NTSC-version.

lol it,s a amiga patch

This install has the slave-version 1.11 and the imager-version 1.01.
It needs WHDLoad 1.1 and The Patcher1.05 or higher in the path
(eg in c:). To install from a different drive than df0: select
Expert as installation mode.

Fixed: Protection caused a stackframe error.
Keyboard handling.
Lots of blitwaits inserted.

Default quitkey is numerical *. Change it with the QUITKEY-tooltype.

Cheat mode: Type ORDILOGICUS in the title screen. The border should
flicker if it was successful.

Note: The tooltype BUTTONWAIT is set in the icon, remove it if you have
seen the loading pictures long enough.

Known bug: Sometimes there are rectangles to see at the right border.
That comes due the different timing on faster cpus, i fear you
have to live with it. I think its not too annoying.

Comment: It was heavily protected, so that one took me about 55 h to
patch. I hope you appreciate it, I think it IS worth it.

Thanks to Jeff for some initial work.

The install is tested with 2 MB on an A1200, and on an 18 MB 68030.

Disclaimer: Although i try to make my installs as reliable as possible, you
use them wholly on your own risk.

Full whdload package: aminet:dev/misc/whdload#?.lha
Other installs: http://www.fh-zwickau.de/~jah/whdload/
Report bugs with the bug report form on that page.

Harry in July 1998.

Last edited:

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
Delacroix said:
THUGLIFE - rightho, boss. But he doesn't seem to understand. I already PMed Sir_Brizz and Dark Pulse in this case... they did nearly nothing.

But there are some rare items that scarbelly made available - Unreal 223m code and this '91 Unreal DOS game. Incredible he found it, I thought it was only made for the Amiga.

BTW - Someone give me moderating privileges for just 24 hours and I'll solve this problem. Damn, one hour is enough...

please delacroix down.t blame them thy have simple not the time to search a long time i doo i have plenty of time cheerz.
regardz:)bee(scarbelly.nl

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
unreal 1990

Dark Pulse said:
That Unreal 1991 is NOT the same game or related to Unreal from 1998. Please disregard it.

This very early version of unreal was made by ubisoft and was running on dos not windows so the game is or 8 bit or 16 bit and can run on some simulated dos programs wich i post earlyer on this forum.i just wanna say that this unreal is not made by epic games and also is not related too the unreal engine wich we all know this engine is fast.