Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
1. Well, it definitely didn't work before I moved the skins, and it definitely worked after, so I vote yes.

2. How about semicolons, so people can just paste it?

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
nuttella said:
How about semicolons, so people can just paste it?

Do you mean like this? Then it will work if people just paste it? LODBias=0.000000 ; Negative values to sharpen textures. (ex: -1.5) Looks bad with S3TC on, keep at 0 if you're using them.

I will add the the texture skin part soon. I just want to be completely clear on it though.

So after people have installed the S3TC textures, they remove these S3TC skins (Only Female1Skins.utx, Female2Skins.utx, Male1Skins.utx, Male, Skins.utx, Male3Skins.utx, SkTrooperSkins.utx and nothing else)
and put them in another folder. Then they put s3fix in the textures folder run it (when it runs it has some textures which is says it patches but it says it skips the skin textures because they could not be found) and let it finish. After that drag the S3TC skins back in the textures folder and you are done.

I underlined some stuff for extra emphasis.

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
yes , its what they should do . but for me , textures xkins was not s3tc , i havent them installed for skin , only the map textures .
so , it must work with both i think .

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
Oops i just looked at the skins on the cds... there are no S3TC skins... my bad...

Edit: Oh, and nutella could you explain what you said about those semicolons?

Edit2: I added that skin texture thing info.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Also, have you investigated the use of EAX ? I've tried it but I get some loud echo as if I was in a cavern and it doesn't make the game very realistic.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
madscientist327 said:
Oops i just looked at the skins on the cds... there are no S3TC skins... my bad...

Edit: Oh, and nutella could you explain what you said about those semicolons?

It's the comment delineator, so you could have entries like this:

LODBias=0.000000 ;; Negative values to sharpen textures. (ex: -1.5)
;;;;; Looks bad with S3TC on, keep at 0 if you're using them.

and people could just paste the whole thing into their .ini without deleting the comments. Doesn't look that great, but it's convenient.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
i tested Deathmatch online with s3tc enabled and the slide effect is still visible , i can move ect.. , but others players looks they slide on the floor .
apparently the fix dont work for DM in the retail maps .

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I just noticed that the moon on DM-Phobos has some dark rings around it. It would seem that these hi-res textures do enhance walls and stuff but have a side-effect on some scenery.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
OK

When this gets all figured out by you UT masters, please put a quick summary out for the rest of us. I already use the high res and have little if any probs with it. I think it looks good. Not great or awesome or anything but better for sure. Didn't I read somewhere that all of this was going into a manual?

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
I have been planning on updating this guide thing for awhile but I am currently too busy...finals and stuff.... it might take a couple of weeks until I get around to it....so...um...yeah.... just for everyone's information....

PhoenixArisen

Dec 11, 2005
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone in this thread for making my UT look so much nicer :p been playing it for about four years online now (I'm a true instagibber :).

However, I still have a slight problem. Since this weekend I have a new pc: AMD 64 X2 3800 with a GeForce 6800GT and this caused my UT some problems. It runs like crap: it runs for a second, seems to stop and then goes on again at an increased speed, stops again etc. I tried a million things before even coming here, finally concluded that it did the same even in software mode, which made me think about the dual core thing. So I forced it on one core and voila, everything worked all of a sudden. Is there any way that anyone knows of to fix this problem, or just have it run on one core permanently? (its quite annoying to have to force it every time it starts again). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would love to be able to play the game properly again with all these cool graphics enhancements :p

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
PhoenixArisen said:
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone in this thread for making my UT look so much nicer :p been playing it for about four years online now (I'm a true instagibber :).

However, I still have a slight problem. Since this weekend I have a new pc: AMD 64 X2 3800 with a GeForce 6800GT and this caused my UT some problems. It runs like crap: it runs for a second, seems to stop and then goes on again at an increased speed, stops again etc. I tried a million things before even coming here, finally concluded that it did the same even in software mode, which made me think about the dual core thing. So I forced it on one core and voila, everything worked all of a sudden. Is there any way that anyone knows of to fix this problem, or just have it run on one core permanently? (its quite annoying to have to force it every time it starts again). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would love to be able to play the game properly again with all these cool graphics enhancements :p
A lot of older games have that problem, just disable one core for the game.

VisceraLicker

Jan 13, 2006
Austria, EU
Hello everyone! (1st post)

A old UT-fanatic needs your help.

UT v.436, OpenGL OldUnreal driver
Graphic card: Nvidia 6800GTI, newest driver
CPU: 4,5ghz dual core

Problem: Speed of the game, sometimes the game is super-slow or two times faster than normal,this is really annoying.

I turned V-Sync on (both graphic card AND ut ogl driver) but this doesnt help at all, I dont know what to do. :(

Some one said that I can disable on core for the game, but how? Iam not a great computer expert.

I am sure you can help me.

Thank you.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
When UT's Framerate gets too high, it will do that.

Start up the game, type preferences in the console, hit enter.

You're looking for a value called FrameRateLimit in your renderer, which in this case, is OpenGL. Set this to about 200 and you should be good.

Last edited: