1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by madscientist327, Jun 9, 2005.

?

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

1. OpenGl

106 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. D3D (or D3D8)

41 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Software is the best!

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. They all suck!

14 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. madscientist327

madscientist327 Pure Genius

This was created at a 1600x1200 resolution.

Hi. The purpose of this thread is to be able to make UT look and sound as best as it can. I will post my settings and people can tell me what to do in order to make it better. ;)

UPDATE #24 - April 18, 2006

These settings are in UnrealTournament.ini in UnrealTournament\System. These setting can also be modified in game by opening up the console (press ~) and typing in "preferences" (without the quotation marks). This opens up the Advanced Preferences window. Using the Advanced Preferences window is probably the easiest.

WARNING these settings are not for the elderly computers. (Ancient Systems/Graphics Cards/Sound Cards) :p Everything is set to the highest quality settings possible. Please don't come complaining to me that your 1 mhz system doesn't run it. :rolleyes:

Please remove the // and the explanations behind them if you copy and paste the settings, because if you don't your computer will explode. :lol: Seriously though, it would be best to remove the explanations even though UT might still work.

And in case you were wondering, click the underlined stuff to download it. Example: -> :) <-

And of course, always backup the files when you change them. Just in case...

One last thing, this thread is designed for windows users. I sincerely apologize if it is unfriendly toward your operating system. :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Patches (Make sure you have one of these installed first before you install anything else below.)

v436 Mirror #2 Mirror #3 More Mirrors (Last official patch.)

v451b Mirror #2 Mirror #3 More Mirrors(Not official and it messes up UnrealEd. I find it quite buggy. You should probably stick to v436 unless you run a server.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Engine.GameEngine]
    CacheSizeMegs=64 // This is the amount of memory the game sets aside for things it caches. I've heard two different schools of thought on this:

School 1: Assume that for every 4 Megs of cache, that you have 128 Megs of memory. So a machine with 256 Megs would set this to 8, 512Megs would set it to 16, 1 Gig (1024 Megs) would set this to 32 and 1.5 Gigs would set this to 48. Anything over 64 is overkill.

School 2: Set this to 3/4 the total amount of RAM your machine has. If you have 128 Megs of RAM, set this to 96. 256 Megs, set this to 192. 512 Megs, set this to 384. 1 Gig, set this to 768. Higher than 384 might already be overkill, and UT will never need that much RAM (The game itself is only 550 Megs or so).

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
    WindowedViewportX=640 // Windowed Resolution (Horizontal)
    WindowedViewportY=480 // Windowed Resolution (Vertical)
    WindowedColorBits=32 // Windowed Color Depth (16 or 32)
    FullscreenViewportX=1024 // Fullscreen Resolution (Horizontal)
    FullscreenViewportY=768 // Fullscreen Resolution (Vertical)
    FullscreenColorBits=32 // Fullscreen Color Depth (16 or 32)
    Brightness=0.500000
    MipFactor=1.000000
    UseDirectDraw=True
    UseJoystick=False
    CaptureMouse=True
    StartupFullscreen=True
    CurvedSurfaces=True
    LowDetailTextures=False
    ScreenFlashes=True
    NoLighting=False
    SlowVideoBuffering=True
    DeadZoneXYZ=True
    DeadZoneRUV=False
    InvertVertical=False
    ScaleXYZ=1000.000000
    ScaleRUV=2000.000000
    MinDesiredFrameRate=35.000000 // Set to the minimum desired framerate
    Decals=True
    NoDynamicLights=False
    UseDirectInput=True
    ParticleDensity=0
    NoFractalAnim=False
    SkinDetail=High
    TextureDetail=High

OPENGL (Once you have downloaded it, place OpenGLDrv.dll in UnrealTournament\System and overwrite the existing file. Then select OpenGl as the renderer under video preferences or under [Engine.Engine] in UnrealTournament.ini set GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice)

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
    TruFormMinVertices=0
    TruFormTessellation=3
    UseTruForm=False
    ZRangeHack=True
    AAFilterHint=2 // Set this to 0 unless you have a NVIDIA card (Quincunx AA)
    NumAASamples=0 // Set to max antialiasing of card (unless Quincunx AA is on)
    UseAA=True
    RequestHighResolutionZ=True
    MaskedTextureHack=True
    FrameRateLimit=200
    SwapInterval=1 // Set to 0 for no vsync, 1 to enable it. -1 for default
    UseVertexProgram=False
    UseCVA=False
    UseMultiDrawArrays=True
    TexDXT1ToDXT3=True // Only needed for NVIDIA cards
    DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
    CacheStaticMaps=False
    UseTexPool=True
    UseTexIdPool=True
    UseSSE=True
    BufferTileQuads=True
    BufferClippedActorTris=True
    SinglePassDetail=False
    SinglePassFog=True
    ColorizeDetailTextures=False
    DetailClipping=False
    UseDetailAlpha=True
    DetailMax=2
    RefreshRate=0 // Set to highest refresh rate your monitor supports (ex: 85) Default if set to 0.
    MaxTMUnits=0
    NoFiltering=False
    NoMaskedS3TC=False
    MaxAnisotropy=16 // Set to highest Anisotropy your card can handle
    UseTNT=False
    Use16BitTextures=False
    UseS3TC=True // Set to true if you use the S3TC textures on cd 2
    UseAlphaPalette=True
    AutoGenerateMipmaps=True
    UseTrilinear=True
    UsePrecache=True
    AlwaysMipmap=True
    ShareLists=False
    UsePalette=True
    UseMultiTexture=True
    UseBGRATextures=True
    UseZTrick=False
    MaxLogTextureSize=8
    MinLogTextureSize=0
    MaxLogVOverU=8
    MaxLogUOverV=8
    OneXBlending=False
    GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
    GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
    GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
    GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    LODBias=0.000000 // Negative values to sharpen textures. (ex: -1.5) Looks bad with S3TC on, keep at 0 if you're using them.
    DetailTextures=True
    DescFlags=0
    Description=NVIDIA GeForce FX 7800 // Put your graphics card's name here if you want to
    HighDetailActors=True
    Coronas=True
    ShinySurfaces=True
    VolumetricLighting=True
    SmoothMaskedTextures=False
    UseSSE2=True

D3D8 (Once you have downloaded it, place D3D8Drv.dll in UnrealTournament\System. Then select D3D8 as the renderer under video preferences or under [Engine.Engine] in UnrealTournament.ini set GameRenderDevice=D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice) Please note that this renderer is better than the original D3D but should only be used as a last resort. OpenGl is superior at the moment. You might want to install this anyway, as when you install the OpenGl the D3D doesn't work anymore. This D3D8 driver will be the only way to get D3D again.

[D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice]
    ZRangeHack=True
    NumAASamples=16 // Set to max antialiasing of card
    UseAA=True
    UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
    UsePureDevice=False
    UseTripleBuffering=True
    MaskedTextureHack=True
    FrameRateLimit=200
    SwapInterval=1 // Set to 0 for no vsync, 1 to enable it. -1 for default
    UseVertexProgram=False
    TexDXT1ToDXT3=True // Only needed for NVIDIA cards
    CacheStaticMaps=False
    UseTexPool=True
    UseTexIdPool=True
    UseSSE=True
    BufferTileQuads=True
    BufferClippedActorTris=True
    SinglePassDetail=False
    SinglePassFog=True
    DetailClipping=False
    UseDetailAlpha=True
    DetailMax=2
    RefreshRate=0 // Set to highest refresh rate your monitor supports (ex: 85) Default if set to 0.
    MaxTMUnits=0
    NoFiltering=False
    MaxAnisotropy=16 // Set to highest Anisotropy your card can handle
    Use16BitTextures=False
    UseS3TC=True // Set to true if you use the S3TC textures on cd 2
    UseAlphaPalette=True
    UseTrilinear=True
    UsePrecache=True
    UsePalette=True
    UseMultiTexture=True
    MaxLogTextureSize=8
    MinLogTextureSize=0
    MaxLogVOverU=8
    MaxLogUOverV=8
    OneXBlending=False
    GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
    GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    LODBias=0.000000 // Negative values to sharpen textures. (ex: -1.5) Looks bad with S3TC on, keep at 0 if you're using them.
    DetailTextures=True
    DescFlags=0
    Description=NVIDIA GeForce FX 7800 // Put your graphics card's name here if you want to
    HighDetailActors=True
    Coronas=True
    ShinySurfaces=True
    VolumetricLighting=True

Glide (I don't know how useful this will be in this day and age, but if anybody still has one of those old Voodoo cards you can try this tweaked Glide renderer.)

S3TC Textures Torrent (For those without the 2nd cd. There are two download links. One is a torrent. You must have a bittorrent client in order to download using the torrent file. Personally I would use either Azureus or ĀµTorrent but there are many other clients out there that can be used. Make sure you help seed once you finish downloading from the torrent. Once you get your textures, place them in UnrealTournament\Textures. Overwrite all of them except SkyBox.utx, City.utx, and ShaneSky.utx because they are not masked properly and screw up the sky. However, if you replace City.utx you will lose some high res textures. :( Nothing can be done about it though, so unfortunately you will have to live with it. :mad:

S3FIX Mirror #2 Mirror #3 (I also attached the file in case the links die. It fixes the character animation problems on most (but not all) servers when you are using the S3TC textures. If you encounter this problem, you can tell, because people will look like they are skating around on one leg and when they die they just stay there like christmas trees. :hmm: First make sure you have already installed the S3TC textures. Then go into your UnrealTournament\Textures folder, take out the skin textures named Female1Skins.utx, Female2Skins.utx, Male1Skins.utx, Male2Skins.utx, Male3Skins.utx, and SkTrooperSkins.utx, placing them in a temporary folder. Place s3fix.exe in your textures folder. Run it, wait for it to close, and then drag the skin textures back in the textures folder.)

Creative Labs EAX Patches
    These EAX patches add additional EAX effects to the original DM and CTF maps. It is recommended that you have an EAX compatible card or else you don't really need these sound enhancements. Note: This may interfere with Oldunreal's Multimedia Patches.

EAX Library Patcher (Make sure you install this first.) Mirror #2 Mirror #3 Mirror #4 More Mirrors

Death Match EAX Libraries Mirror #2 Mirror #3 Mirror #4 More Mirrors

Capture the Flag EAX Libraries Mirror #2 Mirror #3 Mirror #4 More Mirrors

Immersion TouchSense Enhancement Patch Mirror #2 Mirror #3 More Mirrors ("Feel every weapon recoil from Impact Hammer to Redeemer..." Immersion TouchSense compatible mouse needed, or at least recomended.)

Oldunreal's Multimedia Patch .exe Installation Version Oldunreal's Multimedia Patch .zip Installation Version (This provides OpenAL, FMod and OpenGL. The OpenGL dl in there is basically version 3.0 of the renderer, so you shouldn't use it because the current version is 3.2. If you used the .exe installation, skip the next two sentences. .Dll, .int & .u files go into the UnrealTournament system folder. Run the .exe file for OpenAL. To change Audio Devices, in Advanced Preferences, open drivers, and open AudioDevice. Select the one you want.)

[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
    ALDevices=SBAudigy2ZSAudioEC80 // Select the device to use
    DopplerFactor=1.000000
    UseOriginalUnreal=True
    SoundVolume=192
    UseReverb=True
    AmbientFactor=0.700000
    MusicVolume=128
    Channels=64
    OutputRate=48000Hz
    UseDigitalMusic=True

[FMODAudioDrv.FMODAudioDevice]
    UseOriginalUnreal=True
    SoundVolume=200
    UseReverb=True
    AmbientFactor=0.700000
    UseHardwareChannels=True // If true, hardware acceleration but no original echoes
    MusicVolume=120
    UseDigitalMusic=True
    Channels=64
    UseCDMusic=True
    OutputRate=48000Hz
    Speakers=Surround // Select your speaker setup
    FMODDevices=SBAudigy2ZSAudioEC80e // Select the device to use

Please tell me if I made any mistakes or if I left out something important. Everybody's feedback is important. :) Also, tell me if any of the links die or are bad.

Sites I got the stuff from (or did):

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

http://www.oldunreal.com/

http://eax.creative.com/eagle/unreal/

http://www.immersion.com/developer/cool.html

http://www.unrealtournament.com/

http://www.utpg.org/

And also thanks to the people who provided the download links and the people who helped me with the thread. :cool:

Enjoy these tweaks! Long live Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition! :rockon:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To-do....

-Add descriptions for all the settings

-Perhaps add additional stuff from user.ini

-Make download links more clear

-Add a changelog

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  2. madscientist327

Changelog

Changelog:

Update#
    Coming soon...

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  3. Denny

Denny Engulfed In Flames

OpenGL is the best, D3D runs to fast for me and doesn't look as good. You forgot in game settings as well such as Dynamic Lighting, Decals, High World & Skin Detail, higher resolutions, 32-bit Color Depth and so on.

4. madscientist327

Oh. Thanks. I forgot that :)

Edit: I updated it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  5. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

I use the OldUnreal OpenGL Renderer with S3TC Textures running. Makes the game real impressive.

Here's the relevant portion of the INI:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
    Translucency=True
    VolumetricLighting=False
    ShinySurfaces=True
    Coronas=True
    HighDetailActors=True
    DetailTextures=True
    FastTranslucency=1
    VertexLighting=0
    UseTNT=False
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    UseMultiDrawArrays=False
    SinglePassDetail=True
    DetailClipping=False
    UseDetailAlpha=False
    UsePrecache=False
    ShareLists=False
    TruFormMinVertices=0
    TruFormTessellation=3
    UseTruForm=False
    RefreshRate=85
    AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
    UsePalette=True
    UseBGRATextures=True
    UseZTrick=False
    MaxLogTextureSize=8
    MinLogTextureSize=0
    MaxLogVOverU=8
    MaxLogUOverV=8
    DescFlags=0
    Description=
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    UsePrecache=False
    ShareLists=False
    Translucency=1
    UseVertexSpecular=1
    UseTrilinear=True
    UseS3TC=True
    LODBias=0.000000
    MaxAnisotropy=0
    SupportsLazyTextures=1
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    NumAASamples=0
    UseAA=False
    SwapInterval=0
    UseVertexProgram=False
    UseCVA=False
    UseMultiDrawArrays=True
    UseSSE=True
    AAFilterHint=0
    TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
    UseTexPool=True
    UseTexIdPool=True
    BufferClippedActorTris=False
    SinglePassDetail=True
    DetailClipping=True
    UseDetailAlpha=True
    NoFiltering=False
    UseFilterSGIS=False
    Use4444Textures=False
    UseAlphaPalette=True
    UsePrecache=False
    AlwaysMipmap=False
    ShareLists=False
    UseMultiTexture=True
    MaskedTextureHack=False
    MaxTMUnits=0
    FrameRateLimit=150
    CacheStaticMaps=False
    BufferTileQuads=False
    Use16BitTextures=False
    OneXBlending=False
    GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
    GammaOffsetRed=0.000000

I know some of the entries are listed here twice... I have no idea why.

6. madscientist327

Some of those entries are obsolete. Also the opengl in the OldUnreal one is version 2.9 (or so I hear and see) so you should get 3.0.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  7. Dark Pulse

Which I did afterward and nothing has really changed except DetailLevel 2.

Good to see fog working in DM-Fetid though. \o/

8. madscientist327

I put bold question marks next to the things I need to be confirmed. Please tell me if they are needed or are usefull.

Edit to Dark Pulse: Just checking. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  9. Denny

Denny Engulfed In Flames

This is a useful option to help load times. I wouldn't set it any higher than 64, it doesn't seem to get any quicker after that from what i noticed and i have a gig of RAM.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  10. madscientist327

I need to know if the S3FIX is needed and whether or not the EAX enhancements are still usefull.

Edit: I also found links to the S3TC textures. Would it be alright if I posted them here? Anybody knowledgable in these legal matters?

Edit2: Apparently it is "...not illegal for various reasons. Even if [you] only owned 2k4 the EULA of 2k4 allows [you] to use such textures as they were included in a 'previous Unreal title'". I guess you have to have an Unreal Tournament game, to download this. But who would be dowloading the textures if they didn't have the game? I added the links. However, if this somehow is not legal in anyway, just tell me and I will immediately remove the links.

I also still need to know whether or not the S3FIX and EAX Enhancements are still relavent.

Edit3: I have an idea! Lets have a contest ;) Who can make UT look the best? I took a screenshot of my favorite DM map, DM-Ochre by Darthweasel. It should be easy to beat me. I am going easy on everybody. In fact, that screenshot sucks. It is so much easier to make UT look even better.

edit4:never mind... the contest was a stupid idea

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  11. madscientist327

Is there any other thing I can fix or something? I need feedback... :(

12. madscientist327

Give me feedback or give me death!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  13. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Where may I send the death?

You know, there's just so good you're going to get UT to look. Beyond installing CD2 textures/s3tc and OGL hacks to fix the odd (fixable) masking error, I don't see how much further you can go.

OpenAL didn't do it for me, as I have an A3D (but not EAX) capable card, and the game just sounds crap to me with software sound. Music sounds great with the OpenAL driver though. If you have an A3D card, naturally, forget the EAX enhancements.

14. madscientist327

Oh. Thanks. :) What about the S3FIX? Is that still needed?

15. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

Maby this question is not in place for this topic, but I had to reinstall my UT GOTY since a HDD crash, and can someone tell me again how I should turn on the S3TC textures?
    I cant really discover it in the posted logs :/

Its been a while, and I knew it was somewhere in the console's preferences but I cant remember.

and Yes I searched the forum, many keywords but as usual, nothing that matched... -_-

16. madscientist327

UseS3TC=True

Please read the first post if you haven't already. Also make sure you are using the opengl renderer.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  17. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

yeah but I think I have an outdated version of the openGL renderer, dling the new one.
    I tought I set it true, but it didnt had much effect or it gave a weird error, Il check and prt screen it.

thanx anyway

18. madscientist327

No problem :)

If you want to see if your S3TC textures are working just load up DM-Codex and look at the floor. You should see cracks like this or else it isn't working properly.

19. madscientist327

Wow... Over 300 people have looked at this thread... :eek: That's a lot of people... :eek2:

Edit: Update #6 Added some more stuff...

Edit2: I just need to be sure of one more thing people... S3FIX.exe... Please somebody tell me if it is still essential...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  20. Dark Pulse

For some it is, for others it's not.