Too many maps ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
well to combine maps for single player with defined "passageways" between them would be possible with the UT engine but that's only "some sort of" random map ya will get then... SOF 2 will arange pre-build objects in one map and fit them together so that is totally different and not possible in UT as long as brushs etc are the main stuff here...
a map full out of meshs would be the answer but ya all know that meshs cannot be build to form buildings etc... well not in a good looking and functional way...
forget this for the current UT engine...

but I agree with ya all that partially randomized maps are the best things to play on. First thing is that most players are knowing the basic surrounding... means the buildings, some ways between them etc. That's almost like the real thing. Ya had some reconaissance, photos etc to "learn" from and then some places look a bit different when ya finally go there.
i.e. some ways can be blocked with cars, trucks, crates and similar objects. or doors can be locked or unlocked or even blocked by obstacles... tunnels can be open or hidden by planks etc... some windows can be open or closed... aso aso...
in addition ... different spawn locations of the teams... sometimes multiple spawn points so the teams can end up splitted etc.
just imagine the gameplay when these goals are reached!
just like someone said before: ya can go down to your favorite shop each day, the buildings etc are almost looking the same but some things are different each time... just imagine that at a location where ya have to fight and survive... each time its different.

- Beppo

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Soldier of Fortune 2 have random map generator. Basically the game put together a bunch of preset achitectures to form a new map every time...

HAH!! I've often pondered such things but every time I've opened my mouth about it I've gotten at least 2 or 3 "That-would-be-gay!"s

Random elements, however miniscule, would surely increase the overall thought level needed to succeed at Inf. , since things would always play out at least a little bit differently.

Suppose your strategy on a map is always, get to cover point X, spam passage exactly 8.36 seconds after reaching cover point X, do victory dance for 2.1 seconds, turn around and blast the guy trying to flank you.

With even a few small things randomized, the enemy may have spawned at cover point X, and be waiting to spam you. There may be no fast way to get to point X. Perhaps the passage is blocked and you find yourself in a dead end with enemies behind you and nowhere to run. Point X may not even exist.

The more I ponder it, the more I like it...

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Posted without reading any other responses:

I thought what *we* wanted was to see squads clearing levels as a group using /tactics/ rather than just map specific positioning / routes?

I think it's crap when you see everyone sprinting off at the start of the round to get to their favourite leet positions. It's just like CS on bad public servers.

Map downloads... Inf NEEDS a proper FTP mirror for stuff like that (and all the associated files). Fileplanet is not what it used to be and modem users need to be able to stop a download and continue it later.

edit:
Randomised stuff?

Bridges too! Bridges too!

I can't wait. Running round a corner to escape only to find a brick wall is going to be fun.

This should make Inf better for newbies (if people HAVE to stick together). Inf is just much more fun when people play as teams. The other day on EP, I was covering a sniper and got this guy sneaking up on him. I'd swear he looked surprised... :D

Last edited:

agent

<span id=spObj style="FILTER:Glow(color=#5D025E);w
Oct 20, 2001
Visit site
the more the marrier

from what ive seen the only maps that (95% of) ppl play are: siberia, bullecort, atoll, azteca, kazakhstan, chasm, sicily, and sometimes ep (on afa server). there is some kosovo (mostly on afa server) but usually ppl complain how boring (ie: "no run-n-gun? but i want CS!") it is. i played macedonia (best map thus far, imho) only against 1 or 2 ppl or bots. macedonia has enough possibilties to keep u guessing. too bad nobody's playin it. imho, there is never enough good maps as long as ppl play them.

(first post :D )