Tim Sweeney on new tech.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

grimstar

May 27, 2001
Australia
Took a few snips from the Tim Sweeney interview in the Feb issue of atomic (Aussie mag):

:)

Atomic:

What can you tell us about the key technologies that the next Unreal engine will be focused on?

Tim:

We already have polygon count where it needs to be. We're going to be focusing on per-pixel rendering and getting the quality of each pixel on screen as high as possible. So there's a bunch of different technologies there: dynamic shadowing technology, stencil buffer and shadow z-buffers. But the whole idea is that every object in the scene should cast realistic shadows with respect to every light source in the scene, and every pixel you see should illuminate properly that way. Of course that's easy to say and there are some solutions for that, like stencil buffering. But to do that properly you really want fuzzy shadows everywhere because most light and most environments are quite diffused and if you look around you very seldom see a really sharp shadow edge somewhere. So a huge amount of effort and processing power goes into implementing fuzzy shadows effectively in real-time. That's been a significant part of our R&D right there.
The other thing is techniques for encoding, when we talk about textures in the past we meant basically a 2d map containing RGB colour. And now a texture really means that plus a normal map depending on how bumpy the surface and how it’s locally oriented, as well as secular maps and seeing how glossy the thing is at each point.

Atomic:

When you say fuzzy shadows, that's what you demoed at the NV30 launch?

Tim:

Yeah, it showed basically the technique we're using. Of course it only showed it on one character and now the tech is scaling to really large scenes as we have some pretty good stuff up and running. DX9.0 is really the minimum spec there. We're essentially releasing a game in two years that's really going to bring existing computers to a complete crawl. You know, going back to the days when a new game came out and a lot of people really do have to upgrade their hardware to play it well.

Atomic:

To concluded, what can we look forward to from your next generation engine?

Tim:

Massive improvement in the realism and quality of scenes with realistic fuzzy shadowing. Incredibly detailed characters - like characters that, if you at and compare them side by side to our existing characters in detail, you might say they're a hundred times more detailed. A lot more use of physics in environments - not to create contrived puzzles but just in a natural way with all objects interacting physically. That's really just talking about the engine and not our game, which we aren't talking about yet.

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Nice :tup:

Didnt like to hear this tho since i just ordered me a new PC ;)
hat's really going to bring existing computers to a complete crawl

Jaxter

I just f**ked your girlfriend
Feb 6, 2001
yeah here's hoping they can do better than cupe maps this time

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
See, in a recent Proph's Chronicle (slap me for the pimpage) I told you people to start saving your money:). Of course, the subject was targeted at us geeks who love to upgrade everytime something new comes out.

Yep, 2005/06 is going to be expensive.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Great news! :eek: :D
and every pixel you see should illuminate properly that way
Yay, no more static mesh crappy lighting!

Lets hope in 2006 Unreal engine will finally have bump mapping.
Ulthar said:
does anybody have this movie from nv30 launch ?
Yeah I'd like to see that too. Anyone, please??

Last edited:

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Going to be very nice, indeed. Maybe see realistic damage on objects, instead of decals. Real bullet holes, dents and stuff. Ouch...that's going to kill the frame rates.

As for the movie, wasn't it the one where the marines (from the UW pics) storm a bridge? In that scene, they come out of some hall way, onto a platform and start firing at the enemy across a short bridge. Then they shoot a swaying metal object located above the bridge, which falls down and destroys the bridge. I think it was that video.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Prophetus said:
Going to be very nice, indeed. Maybe see realistic damage on objects, instead of decals. Real bullet holes, dents and stuff. Ouch...that's going to kill the frame rates.

As for the movie, wasn't it the one where the marines (from the UW pics) storm a bridge? In that scene, they come out of some hall way, onto a platform and start firing at the enemy across a short bridge. Then they shoot a swaying metal object located above the bridge, which falls down and destroys the bridge. I think it was that video.
Yeah, I remember this. GDC Tech Demo I think.

Here's the link to the newspost, but the link to download the file is dead.

http://unrealops.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=305

EDIT: I found it!!111

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nzone_makesomethingunreal_media.html

Last edited:

Slartoff

Death delights me. Slartoff!
Nov 1, 2003
NH
No no no... that GDC movie, while spiffy-looking, is not the one they mentioned in the article. The NV30 launch video showed a marine walking through a torch-lit cavern. The clip from the Unreal engine in the NV30 launch vid showed much better graphics than the GDC vid. I'll see if I can find a link to the NV30 launch video.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Slartoff said:
No no no... that GDC movie, while spiffy-looking, is not the one they mentioned in the article. The NV30 launch video showed a marine walking through a torch-lit cavern. The clip from the Unreal engine in the NV30 launch vid showed much better graphics than the GDC vid. I'll see if I can find a link to the NV30 launch video.
I only looked for the vid Proph was talking about. I've never heard of this NV30 launch video... good luck with finding it

Last edited: