Tim Sweeney on new tech.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tycho

Mar 10, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
www.unrealops.com
Proph,

While digging through the Unreal Ops archives for a new article I am working on I think I found what you are talking about. Head on over to UO to see if that is the video you are talking about.

Tycho

PS. Are these forums getting bigger or is it just me. :)

:EDIT: Nevermind someone already linked it. :p

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
From a mapper's perspective things are looking good too. I was told that in 2k4 per-poly collision is as fast or faster than simple collision for static meshes. Can't wait to see what else they have in store for 2k4, let alone the next engine. :D

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Ut2k4 will have crap lighting on static meshes and wont have per poly collision on dynamic actors. That makes it no different than ut2k3. This new engine will hopefully have per poly collision for everything and enormously fantastic water/fluid effects.
But something HL2 will have soon (bump maps and source) Unreal engine will only have in 2 years. That's a huge draw-back for ut2004.

Original9

Deleted.
Jul 28, 2001
I don't think Ut2k4 is about graphical engine improvements. It's more of a gameplay improvement.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Actually yes, it's a HUGE difference from 2k3. Since they were able to focus on optimizing the existing code instead of building everything from scratch, they've been able to make it run a lot faster. Cliffy's statement that it would run on more machines than 2k3 is true, even if you didn't take into account faster computers.

My guess is that all three flags for static meshes will be set to False by default on import, and if I'm right the default Lightmap compression will be DXT1 since I kinda pwned them with that section of my optimization tutorial. :D

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
I hope they optimize ut2004 for outside areas, since most maps give lag in larger outside areas in ut2003. UT was also optimized for inside maps and it lagged on outside. I've played many games now with HUGE outside areas without lag. Too bad if they are dumb enough not to fix that.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
NeoNite said:
Ah I see, that thread explains your necris comment ok. CliffyB mumbling something about a future appearance of necris etc...
Tnx for the link TWD.
I don't remember where but I think I remember I saw an 'official' comment about this necris title,in an interview somewhere (or maybe I imagined it,not sure...)
And thanks for the info everybody, I like "technology" threads like that :D
(anybody remember the old threads before UT2k3 launch,and evreybody fantasming about what would be in the game?)

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Doc_EDo said:
I hope they optimize ut2004 for outside areas, since most maps give lag in larger outside areas in ut2003. UT was also optimized for inside maps and it lagged on outside. I've played many games now with HUGE outside areas without lag. Too bad if they are dumb enough not to fix that.
And what are the two new gametypes like? They show off plenty outdoors environments - no let's think that EPIC have been spending months bloating out the code and stealing other people's ideas!

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
hal said:
Someone (I think it was Raffi_B) linked to this thread from the Atari forum.
:shy:

I didn't link to it directly though, I said "Grimstar from BuF took a few sections of the article..."

Dont be a nubcake

Feb 29, 2008
Yes you heard me right

Unreal Warfare doesn't exist and the next unreal title will feautre the necris. This info is from ataricommunity posts by the devs.

Must have been Unreal Championship 2 they were talking about.

hehe google ruwlez.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes. Unreal Championship 2 came from what was originally going to be UT2005.